tandem axle pickup conversions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tandem axle pickup conversions?

Does anyone know of any companies or places to buy components to complete a tandem axle conversion for a pickup? Could be a non powered or powered axle. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

usa6x6.com
JSchuricht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was wondering if you ever found a kit, i don't offer a kit but i can build a tandem set-up
hart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
usa6x6.com
No longer an active website:

Quote:
This domain has temporarily been disabled. To restore the domain, contact your Customer Support.
www.usa6x6.com

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
No longer an active website:
USA 6x6 went bankrupt!

2006 KTM 950 Adventure S

http://community.webshots.com/user/cumminspower
UApilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Since none of them seem to use a power divider (inter axle differential) we could never figure how they keep from eating tires and diff parts. (They must but no one probably drives their custom truck that much. If you custom mounted one of those old New Process 2xx full time 4wd cases somehow, you could have a power divider. Also deep reduction and lockout.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Info wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart View Post
i was wondering if you ever found a kit, i don't offer a kit but i can build a tandem set-up

Im looking to put a tandem setup on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. It you can provide me with some information it would be greatly appreciated. My email is jkjohnso87@hotmail.com Thanks
jkjohnso87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjohnso87 View Post
Im looking to put a tandem setup on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. It you can provide me with some information it would be greatly appreciated. My email is jkjohnso87@hotmail.com Thanks
Wat would you charge to build a tandem axle setup?
jkjohnso87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
Since none of them seem to use a power divider (inter axle differential) we could never figure how they keep from eating tires and diff parts. (They must but no one probably drives their custom truck that much. If you custom mounted one of those old New Process 2xx full time 4wd cases somehow, you could have a power divider. Also deep reduction and lockout.

Birken
Big trucks use to use them a lot in the 70s. They didn't eat tires or diff parts very bad. They got stuck on anything but wet pavement. It would be alot better if you could find some kinda of axle with a through shaft and power divider.
equipmentguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

usa 6x6 used to use a spliter and installled a corp. 14 bolt rearend with lug pattern to match rest of truck. they were finallizing a sick airbagged system to sell as kits when they went down. went to OK to check'em out. kit woulda had awesome articulation and ride. they just couldn't get their operation together. too unorganized and too many production issues. other's are dong this tho not as dedicated to it specifically. several in mags. google and see what ya find.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

If it is just a suspension issue and not necessary to be a drive axle why not just use a duplicate axle like the original and mount it behind like a twin axle trailer? ... Basically give you a spare rear end ...
magusjinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just saw one go through Reese Michigan on Friday. Complete with modified box and everything. I was on my way home after work and did not chase him down to see it.
1995 F-250 4X4 SC LB E40D 4.10 LS: gutted EBPV, tru-cool 4590 trans cooler, ISSPRO Trans., PYRO and Boost gauges, 3"-4" down pipe, 4" exhaust , Tymar intake, Bilstein 5100s, Silver Star Ultra headlights, 4-position switch (stock, high idle, economy and towing), rebuilt trans (myself).
batkerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm building one now... since mine is already a 4x4 dually, I'm simply adding a second tag axle with airbags... if I ever get stuck I can go into 4x4.

I'm stretching the frame and running semi fenders that go from the front axle all the way back covering the rear axle... just like a std tractor.

I'm going to build a headache rack and run stacks like a semi. Oh, the tag axle will have brakes and carry 1/2 the load over the rear axles.

I have a 18,000 B&W fifth wheel and gooseneck ball...

If I get good response, I'll start doing these conversions...

PS been doing all kinds of custom fab vehicles for 25 years.... www.jd3.com I also moved my front axle forward 3 inches on my 2009 dually... pics on my site.
238mph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok I am in collage for classic car restoration. I want to build a street rod using a 35 ford pickup I understand that I will have to build a stronger frame is there a way to build it with driving tandem axle. When it is all said and done there will be pics to follow but till then i need to know if everthing planed is possible. Thanks anything will help

Last edited by zz tops; 05-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
zz tops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.