two wires on one circuit breaker - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
two wires on one circuit breaker

On a regular 120v house circuit breaker (I use Square D breakers) where the hot wire attaches to the breaker (see photo) there are two indentations for wires. Are you allowed to hook up two wires to two separate circuits on one breaker? I just want to know if this is allowed per the NEC.
1985 F250XL, 6.9L, C6, 4x4 (BW1345), Dana 44HD front, Dana 70 LS 3.54 rear, 190,000 miles, Rebuilt longblock (88,000 miles), ARP studs, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, Velvet-Ride Shackles, Firestone Airbags all around, Transfer Flow fillnecks, lots of gauges, Line-X, Jordon Brake Controller, B&M Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler, TCI Aluminum Transmission Pan, Banks Sidewinder (wastegated)
shimonmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: two wires on one circuit breaker

"Are you allowed to hook up two wires to two separate circuits on one breaker?"

YES.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes you are allowed. No, its not a good practice.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

as long as the total circuit does not exceed the NEC requirements. Will it work YES is it smart NO

Excerpt from the Fester academy of electricity::

If it doesnt spark,blow up or melt, it is no good........

F-350 Lariat LOADED CC SRW LB 6.0 SOLD
Med. Wedgewood Blue
All Options except moon roof
8'6" Fisher X-blade SS
2003 PSD 6.0 Lariat CC SB SOLD
All options but the moon roof
Scottb NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

There is nothing wrong with it but both wires have to be rated to carry the full current of the breaker.
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"What you want is irrelevant, what you have choosen is at hand." - Mr. Spock
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fine69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, its not a good practice. </div></div>

Could you elaborate? I am curious.

I have a 15A breaker in the garage that feeds only an outside motion-detecting light (2 100W bulbs). I would like to add another similar light on the backside of the garage. The CB sub-panel in the garage is midway between the two lights. So I figured the easiest way to hook up the new light is on the same breaker rather than running wiring between the two lights or adding a junction box between the two runs. I could add another breaker but the sub-panel isn't that large and I don't want to go to those two-in-one-slot breakers.
1985 F250XL, 6.9L, C6, 4x4 (BW1345), Dana 44HD front, Dana 70 LS 3.54 rear, 190,000 miles, Rebuilt longblock (88,000 miles), ARP studs, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, Velvet-Ride Shackles, Firestone Airbags all around, Transfer Flow fillnecks, lots of gauges, Line-X, Jordon Brake Controller, B&M Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler, TCI Aluminum Transmission Pan, Banks Sidewinder (wastegated)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

that would be fine as long as you do not start adding more and more to it

F-350 Lariat LOADED CC SRW LB 6.0 SOLD
Med. Wedgewood Blue
All Options except moon roof
8'6" Fisher X-blade SS
2003 PSD 6.0 Lariat CC SB SOLD
All options but the moon roof
Scottb NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

...and as long as you ascertain the only existing circuit/load is the 2-100 watt lamps. There are many 'sneak circuits' that will suprise you when you find them.
BTW: the 'piggyback' or 'halfdeck' or 'duplex' breakers are very suitable for single slot replacement.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shimonmor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fine69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, its not a good practice. </div></div>

Could you elaborate? I am curious.

I have a 15A breaker in the garage that feeds only an outside motion-detecting light (2 100W bulbs). I would like to add another similar light on the backside of the garage. The CB sub-panel in the garage is midway between the two lights. So I figured the easiest way to hook up the new light is on the same breaker rather than running wiring between the two lights or adding a junction box between the two runs. I could add another breaker but the sub-panel isn't that large and I don't want to go to those two-in-one-slot breakers. </div></div>

The reason I say its a bad practice is I've seen too many breaker screws loosen due to high current flow. I've had inspectors make me change existing installations that my guys didn't install. The inspector said, while yes, it is legal by code, he would rather see a splice in the panel where you take the 2 wires off the breaker, splice them onto one wire, then land that wire on the breaker. Basically, he just said it was a bad habit to get into. Before anybody says you shouldn't splice in panels, yes, I think that is a bad practice also, but again, perfectly legal as long as all the conductors being spliced have the same rated ampacity. So to answer your wiring question. If I were you, I would just run a new wire to the new location, using the same size wire as the old light, and make a splice in the panel. Again, be sure to use all the same size wire, which for a 15 amp circuit is #14 copper.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can run two conductors to one lug but that is max. I try to keep it to one unless I cant help it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shimonmor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a regular 120v house circuit breaker (I use Square D breakers) where the hot wire attaches to the breaker (see photo) there are two indentations for wires. Are you allowed to hook up two wires to two separate circuits on one breaker? I just want to know if this is allowed per the NEC. </div></div>

Isn't that called "Double Lugging" and is a big NO-NO?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

i ve been told in the past that a service panel is not to be used as splice/conjunction box.... only in case s of service upgrade requiring wires to be lenghtened to reach circuit breakers.

i d have to agree, double lugging is not a good practice.

all up to the local inspector s i guess.
'77 450SL benz , sold 6/13, but still in jersey ! !
'91 350sdl turbo diesel benz
'10 MAZDA 6i, DAUGHTERS RIDE
'90 560sel benz.
hapaschold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hapaschold</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all up to the local inspector i guess. </div></div>

Yes, it's up to the inspectors. I had a new 200A main breaker panel installed when I moved in and the electrician had to extend a lot of the wires in the panel because the old panel was a lot smaller so there are numerous splices in the new panel and the inspectors passed it. I actually don't see why splices or connections in a CB panel would be any different than in a junction box.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Lots of pontificating on here but I am certain the code addresses this subject specifically, I just cannot find it. For neatness purposes I would rather have two wires under one lug so long as it was made for that, than to have a wire nut in the panel if it was not necessary. From practical experience it will work fine so long as the wires are equal size. Do not even think about it if one is a 14 and one is a 12. The square "washer" will cock on the screw and might not give correct clamping pressure to the smaller wire; if they are the same size it will be more or less level and not have this problem.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

You can also replace the single breaker with a "piggy back" which gives you two breakers in one space. These are used to increase your breakers with out having to buy another panel.
Your idea will work, but if one lite should short out, it could take out anything down stream of it (2nd lite). With the "piggy back" only one side (lite) would trip. Not all inspectors will approve of your idea or mine. Technology moves faster than code books.
1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks
caseyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.