When do snakes hibernate? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When do snakes hibernate?

Im clearing all the small trees in the 3 acres behind my house to make way for a 40X60 shop and ample parking for my trucks & trailers. I have had quite a bit of an issue with my fear of snakes. I usually go out with the chain saw once a week for 2-3 hours. Sometimes twice a week...but anyhow I seem to be bumping into just enough snakes to scare myself off.

What temperature range do snakes hibernate for the REST of the season? We have had some days in the 50's as high and low in the low 30's (that's when I try to cut some trees) and then like today I had nothing better to do so I was going to go out and cut for a few hours and before I even fired up the chain saw their was a 5ft. long black snake sitting right in the driveway I made into the woods. I know black snakes aren't deadly but any snake will freak me out!

I am waiting for colder weather to finish clearing all the woods and just wanted to see what you guys know about snakes? This one was obviously sun tanning to get his blood temperature up for the day. I tried moving him out of the way and I was going to go back to working but as soon as I slid the stick under him he went right back in his hole in the ground which was covered by leaves! freaked me out even worse! If the area I was cutting trees in had no leaves to where I could see the snakes I wouldn't have an issue. Its the snakes I can't see that freak me out not the ones that are obvious.

Thanks.
Lee Haenschen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: When do snakes hibernate?

I'm not sure on where you live but the area that I hunt in Arizona in Febuary the rattle snakes will come out of their dens to sun themselfes even when the tempatures are in the 20's during the night. I found a den of them a few years ago and every time that I go back into that canyon you can find two or three of them warming up outside the den.

Jim
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Charlotte, NC

I wouldn't be so afraid if it was out in the open. But the area im clearing is about 3 acres of woods that the ground is covered with leaves. If I knew I wasen't going to step on one I would have no fear....but when I was a little kid I stepped on one walking to the lake and it got me in the toe! scared for life lol
Old 11-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

You need to buy a pair of snake-proof boots. Any good sporting goods store should have them or order them from http://www.cabelas.com and then you won't have to worry about it if you step on one.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

JESSE you might just have saved me from my fear!
I checked out that site it was great! I got some snake proof chaps and boots on the way! hell if it don't help me from the snakes maybe it will help stop my chances of me cutting my leg off with the chain saw!

Anywho does anyone know if snakes go permanently dormant during cold stretches of weather? I was hoping that once it goes down to the 40's for highs that I could come in there with a buddy and clear a good 100-200 small trees to finish my project.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glad I could help! Your biggest worry will probably be copperheads. They should go dormant pretty quick but if it warms up they might come out. Do a Google search on snake hibernation and you'll probably get some good info.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree about the Copperheads, NC is loaded with them and they are very aggressive, highly camouflaged, and like to lay up underthings. My son got nipped on the toe of his boot as we were removing the cover off of an outdoor hot tub up in NC. The leather was scratched and had plenty of venom on it, that thing meant business. We finally got it out from under the hot tub and I "Glocked" it.
KINGTUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lee Haenschen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anywho does anyone know if snakes go permanently dormant during cold stretches of weather? I was hoping that once it goes down to the 40's for highs that I could come in there with a buddy and clear a good 100-200 small trees to finish my project. </div></div>

It is hard to say how long a snake will actually hibernate, there are so many variables. The number of daylight hours combined with temperature are the two biggest variables. I am a little further south from you and it is not unusual to see a rattler or two, a cottonmouth sunning or a copperhead in dead winter, especially on warm days. The good thing about it is they are usually very slow and not as aggressive. I don't think you should ever assume that there will be no snakes around in your area, but I think the real chances of you encountering one that can hurt you is minuscule after several weeks of below freezing at night weather.
KINGTUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JESSE 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to buy a pair of snake-proof boots. Any good sporting goods store should have them or order them from http://www.cabelas.com and then you won't have to worry about it if you step on one. </div></div>That & a .410 Shotgun,I actually have one made by Sporting arms of Littlefield Tx,very compact,it should take care of those pesky snakes!BTW the Shotgun is called a snakecharmer II.. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2685495
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I used to hunt rattlesnakes with a .357 loaded w/ shotshells. Fun!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Maybe you should just rent a Dozer and git her done. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ernest: That is actually the next step after we get the trees cleared is to bring in a small dozer to more around some soil and level off a pad for the shop.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh Man! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] Lee...I wish you luck and the clothes etc will help, but thinking about visiting North Carolina next summer send chills up my back! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]
I HATE SNAKES and feel carpet bombing may be the only solution! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
2012 F 350 S/C 4X4 Lariat - Armaguard liner, OEM rear wheel tubs, adobe powder coated cab guard & fifth wheel gate, Beamer HID's, Rigid 20" light with adobe bar, Kenwood stereo with Nav & back up camera, flush mount led b/u lights
Cowcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

How about doing a controlled burn over the acreage you want to clear.. it is cold now and the danger of a fire getting away should be small. Your volunteer fire department might help you with this for joining up with them.
County ordnances will be your biggest problem.
Once you do the burn all snakes will sure be easy to see...I think.
Replaced fuel lift pump, clutch, vacuum pump, fuel return lines. glow plugs. Oil tests show some iron and lead usage.
Does not use oil unless hauling heavy trailer.
Gets 17 mpg empty at 65 mph

Sheep farmer eastern NM
grassfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.