The Diesel Stop banner

Any News on When 10 Speed Transmission Will Happen?

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  VermontWayne 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any news on when the 10 speed transmission will be put into the Super Duty line up? It was put into the F150 line up this past Fall, I believe. I've heard rumors but nothing in a while. I bought a 2017 in late November. I assume the earliest would be the 2018 model year.:smile2:

#2 ·
Sorry, but I'm not buying into the idea of a 10 speed in a pickup application. A 3 speed with OD clearly isn't enough, but a 4 speed with OD is pretty good and the current tech of a 5 speed plus OD is not lacking in gear selection at all.

Personally, I see a 10 speed in pickups as a gimmick. Why not just keep making the 5spd/OD transmissions better and better?

My 4R100 is still going strong 14 years later. I thought the 5R110 was a fantastic auto trans. The 6R140 is even better. Why, Ford? Why?

#9 · (Edited)
I couldn't disagree more.
The weak spot in the current truck is the transmission. I would trade today if the 10 speed was available.
By implementing more gears, the engine can be tuned differently. A 10 speed insures a close RPM window that keeps the truck in in sweet spot throughout the RPM range. Big rigs run automatic 18 speed transmissions for this very reason. Definitely more efficient.

Our Yukon Denali has an 8 speed, and it works seamlessly. The new Denalis use the 10 speed which would be even more smooth.

If GM introduces it before Ford, I'll be going that route.
I'm hoping for a 2019 MY change so I can order a new Platinum.

#5 ·
Highway driving will not change as final drive ratio will be same, correct?

#4 ·
Is there any recent rumors on a 10 speed (or 8 speed or ??) for 3/4-1 tons?

The GM-Ford 10 speed co-venture gearboxes are stouter than the gasoline gearboxes they replace but a 440HP/925 lb-ft (or more) will require pieces sized up from those 10 speed parts.

#6 ·
Many people find them absolutely annoying as they are constantly shifting. If we want to improve fuel economy why not try deflating our balls a little and detune these trucks a little... maybe offer it as a push button or dash setting.

#8 ·
I'll be shocked if the highest gear doesn't produce a higher MPH at the same RPM, say 2,000 RPM will translate to 85 MPH in 10 speed versus 81 MPH at 2,000 RPM in existing 6 speed, for example. In other words, top speed would be attained at a lower RPM. If they simply spread the same speed range out over 10 speeds versus 6 speeds, the point another poster made re the tranny constantly shifting would be annoying. I assume they will continue with the manual shifting button on the shifter stalk so you can control the shift points manually. I do that now! :winking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.