The Diesel Stop banner

08 6.4 with 173K for $12,000, yes or no?

10K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  tjmaxx 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2008 Ford F250 ext cab long bed 4wd with a 6.4 for $12,000. Truck is pretty clean, just wondering if I should chance a high mileage 6.4. Called my local dealer and got an Oasis report. Showed new short block at 31,000 miles (scary) as well as DPF/Cat & EGR replaced. That's about it.

My question is how comfortable would you be buying a high mileage 6.4 without knowing the entire vehicle history?

#2 ·
Got the short block because of a EGR cooler failure. That is my guess.

If at a dealer and they will give you an extended warranty then it might be worth it.

Be sure to drive it hard and if you can towing with it I would want to.

#3 ·
Yeah, they did the egr cooler at the same time, so your probly right. I am looking at two different trucks, this one and a 2006 155k CC 6.0 fo a little less. Bad thing is this one is a long way from home. Like 700 miles from home, so its tough to look at it, then think about it.

#4 ·
Update: The guy messed up the vin when he gave it to me. I re-ran the new vin and came up with new info.

The truck is actually an 09, it does have 173k on it. The only thing done on the new Oasis was a reflash and a new HPFP at 86K.

It did not show the "T" update or the new upper and lower radiator hoses.

Does this change your thinking at all?

#6 ·
So it's actually an '09 with minor repairs rather then an '08 with a short block replace?

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

#7 ·
An 09 is certainly better. But still push for some warranty. HPFP replaced might have been due to some bad fuel or something. Nothing concern yourself with.

I'd drive it hard and see how it does.

Check all fluids before you start it. Pay attention to the level in the degas bottle. Then start it and run it hard. Before you shut it down check that level again. Where does it sit? If it is somewhere around the upper outlet that is blocked off then that is good.

#8 ·
I just ran the CarFax and not to state the obvious, but this guy drove some major miles. It it a one owner with all the service records listed on the Carfax. He averaged about 46K per year, some months were 12,000 mile months. The biggest gap in oil changes are 10-12K, but that was over a one month period.

Is there truth to the highway mileage theory on these motors? This one definately fits the mold for highway usage.

The hardest part is I will be flying to look at the truck. Its about 770 miles from home. I guess I am stuck gambling on a plane ticket price to see if its really worth it or not. I was hoping one of you guys would give me peace of mind and say "oh yeah, you'll be fine"!:no:

#9 ·
hwy miles are a testement to the dependability of this truck/motor. Those are generally the best miles to have and the fewest of issues obviously.

So there was nothing closer to home to look at?

#14 ·
Well, unless he is a salesman like I am--he was towing/delivering trailers/hauling cars.
I have 125k on my '09 and I would trust it to go anywhere. Just got back from 4-month trip to Alaska. Miles aren't a problem if it was maintained.
Joe

#15 ·
The carfax shows a steady maintenance record.

I haven't seen it in person so that's what is so hard to decide. I am a pretty picky person, most of my stuff stays in showroom condition its entire life, but I know I am buying a used truck. Guy says its a 9 :lol:! Yeah, right.

Anyways, pretty sure I am on a plane Saturday to go get it.

What kind of test strips are we talking about? I am new to all these rediculous things the 6.4 requires. I have a 400K mile 7.3 that requires oil/fuel filter changes and thats it!

#17 ·
7.3 coolant

"I have a 400K mile 7.3 that requires oil/fuel filter changes and thats it! "....actually 7.3's also required coolant nitrate testing,unless it was changed out to an elc.if yours wasn't you might just have dodged the cavitation boogyman....or about ready to get a pinhole leak.

#18 ·
"I have a 400K mile 7.3 that requires oil/fuel filter changes and thats it! "....actually 7.3's also required coolant nitrate testing,unless it was changed out to an elc.if yours wasn't you might just have dodged the cavitation boogyman....or about ready to get a pinhole leak.

Never tested. Never flushed. Only time it was changed was when the water pump went.

#19 ·
Well, I guess I should update you guys on what happened this weekend.

I decided to buy the truck. I bought it for $10,850. Flew down Saturday morning. Truck seemed to be exactly what I thought it was, dirty, but solid.

Headed home, made it exactly 375.5 miles, got off the highway to get fuel, and noticed a loud thumping from what sounded like the air box. Turned the truck off and took a look, nothing leaking. Started it up again and same thumping. I decided to pull into a station and it went into limp mode and the noise seemed louder and more pronounced.

Towed her home- 400 miles in case your wondering! Not cheap.

I think its a broken rocker arm, but will know more this week.

I will keep you posted.

#23 ·
So far the dealer has been good, they said to tow it home and they would cover the tow and get it fixed. When I talked to them today, they asked if I had it at the shop yet, but it won't be till later in the week when he can get it in.

As far as oil changes, car fax showed most were done between 7-10K.

I will definately be doing them at 5K.

#24 ·
So far the dealer has been good, they said to tow it home and they would cover the tow and get it fixed. When I talked to them today, they asked if I had it at the shop yet, but it won't be till later in the week when he can get it in.

As far as oil changes, car fax showed most were done between 7-10K.

I will definately be doing them at 5K.
I suspect long intervals is what did it in. I will b curious if that is actually what is wrong...it sure sounds like it though.

#29 · (Edited)
I got the good news today that the truck needs a new motor. 2 cylinders with no compression and oil full of metal. Not sure what to expect yet from the dealer. Talked to the guy today after hours, he said fax an estimate first thing Monday morning so they can decide what they wanna do.

I have done some extensive research on these motors over the last few days, I don't know if they're any better than the 6.0's or not. I am almost ashamed to say that I don't know if Ford has a diesel option worth owning since the 7.3.

#31 ·
i just wonder if this isnt oil related......having no compression in the cylinders,i wonder if this injector related.i seem to remember reading about 6.4 injectors losing tips and taking out pistons.also if i remember its a very hard problem to diagnose before the catastrophic failure happens.

#32 ·
I took mine to the dealer and they said I had lost compresion in to cylinders and said I needed a new motor which was going to be 17,000.00.
But my motor ran fine and still had good power and I had already figured it was stretched head bolts. So I took some where else.
Sure enough it was stretched head bolts on the passenger side. U could see the soot across the head gaskets where it was blowing through. So I ended up paying 5,500.
Once u get that invoice I would search around for another diesel shop and see what they will charge or maybe even find a problem that easier to fix then a new motor.

#33 ·
$17,000 was exactly what the price of the reman motor was from Ford + labor of course. The mechanic said he thought maybe it was injector related also. Of course without disassembling it, he wouldn't know for sure, but he guessed that maybe an injector stuck hydrolocking the cylinder and bending the rod, which caused the piston skirt to hit the crank shaft counter balancer, which put all the metal in the oil, which basically contaminated everything.

Just sad these motors are so fragile. Diesel's used to be tough, now if you don't treat them with kid gloves or they destroy themselves. I know of 5.4's with 200k on them with less than 6 oil changes their whole lives.

The dealer wants to put a used motor in of course. So if I get a fairly low mile motor, I have to decide if I want one of these trucks you drive with your fingers crossed all the time.

If I delete the EGR and lose the DPF, will this help the longevity of the next motor? I don't want to have to PRAY for my truck everyday of its life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.