'08 F350 fuel mileage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 F350 fuel mileage

What MPG should I expect from my '08 F350 Lariat with the 6.4 Diesel, Auto Trans, 4x4 with 3.73 gears?
rgbdab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: '08 F350 fuel mileage

There is another thread on this subject. I have been experiencing one to two mpg worse than identically equipped 04 6.0l under same driving conditions. 8500 miles on it, now. f350 cc lb 4x4 3.73. Been starting to hear grumblings from chevy and dodge guys too, now. New regs have surely made for a less efficient engine. More displacement + more boost to do the same work.
lwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I have yet to see an accurate mileage comparison between similarly equipment and mileage 6.0/6.4 trucks.

Most of these new trucks simply do not have many miles on them yet. They're still enjoying the new truck smell.

If you're buying a diesel truck for mileage, you may want to consider a car for daily driving.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)

[ QUOTE ]
What MPG should I expect from my '08 F350 Lariat with the 6.4 Diesel, Auto Trans, 4x4 with 3.73 gears?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not scientific, just my opinion based on what I have read here and elsewhere, it seems you can expect between 12-16 driving around unloaded, and between 8-10 towing. Some could be a little better some a little worse, depends on how heavy your foot is.
KINGTUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

All the information that I have recieved is that they "should" get an overall average between 14 and 15 mpg. Keeping in mind that mileage is reduced to about 5 mpg during regeneration. So, the longer the regenration cycles, the lower the fuel mileage.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Computer say 9mpg on our dually 4.30's. That is with auto tranny and 55mph. I don't have too many km's on it yet so maybe it will come up a little.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Most of these new trucks simply do not have many miles on them yet. They're still enjoying the new truck smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on that one. It's funny, at this point I'm not at all concerned about the mileage. I'm more concerned about putting enough miles on to bring our trailer home.

For what it's worth the display is currently showing 12mpg. That is all city driving with 500km on it. Couldn't tell you if that's 100% accurate or not.

I'll be sure to post my findings once the new truck smell has disappeared!
newbie_101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on that one. It's funny, at this point I'm not at all concerned about the mileage. I'm more concerned about putting enough miles on to bring our trailer home.

For what it's worth the display is currently showing 12mpg. That is all city driving with 500km on it. Couldn't tell you if that's 100% accurate or not.

I'll be sure to post my findings once the new truck smell has disappeared!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't believe that in 10k miles these 6.4's are going to increase fuel mileage to any significant amount. I think they are what they are diesel sucking, EPA certified, over regulated beasts........ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't believe that in 10k miles these 6.4's are going to increase fuel mileage to any significant amount. I think they are what they are diesel sucking, EPA certified, over regulated beasts........ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I think a 1MPG bump is all you can or should expect.

I don't agree with the second comment. My mileage is only down 1 or 2 MPG from my 6.0. Any easy trade for me with the improved driveability, quiet and lack of smell.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with the second comment. My mileage is only down 1 or 2 MPG from my 6.0. Any easy trade for me with the improved driveability, quiet and lack of smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of smell wait until your first regen............kidding, but I think the difference between the 6.0 mileage and the 6.4 is going to be somewhat significant long term, 6.4 has more HP, more gizmo's, probably even heavier, though I have not confirmed that...this whole thing is a great irony for me, we clean the air from the foul and evil diesel engine, but we consume tons of more fuel to get there.........so it goes....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of smell wait until your first regen............kidding, but I think the difference between the 6.0 mileage and the 6.4 is going to be somewhat significant long term, 6.4 has more HP, more gizmo's, probably even heavier, though I have not confirmed that...this whole thing is a great irony for me, we clean the air from the foul and evil diesel engine, but we consume tons of more fuel to get there.........so it goes....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the 6.0/6.4 are going to be pretty close. I'm pulling the same loads and trailers on the same roads. You've got to keep your foot out of the 6.4 but it never feels like you're running the snot out of it like the 6.0 and 7.3 did.

The stink, noise, smoke issue had got to be satisfied as it has in Europe. In the states we are at the front end of it as you point out but I do think diesels are a key plank in a sound energy policy. Not sure I can say that about hybrid's by and large. The new Benz CDI's in the ML's get around 25MPG for example in a pretty porky vehicle.

On another note, on the trip I just returned from ULSD was selling for about the same price as regular at about half the stations.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

talk with a guy at the gas filling up in vegas he said he got 18.3 on the hwy way empty it was a 4 door 4x4
sanbullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)

I just clipped off a ton of off-topic posts. If you want to talk about fuel mileage for an 08 F350, fine, but discussing the merits of other diesel engines or other manufacturer's trucks is off topic in this thread and will be clipped off.

klhansen
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.