14 quarts of oil for oil change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
14 quarts of oil for oil change

With filter replacement, 14 quarts brings the level to the top of the hash marks on the plastic bulb. I changed the oil two days ago on level land, loosened the filter cap, let it drain to the pan, removed the pan drain pan, let it drain for over half an hour and that was with a very warm engine. When I poured in the new oil, I poured in 14 quarts of Motorcraft diesel 15w-40. Started the engine let it idle for 10 minutes or so, checked for leaks, shut it down, rechecked level an hour later. Yup, the level was right at the top of the hash marks on the plastic bulb. My personal opiniion, 15 quarts is too much. Many reporting their 6.4 making oil, level showing overfull, are you pouring in 15 quarts??? I think 15 quarts too much, whatever others say. I suspect if I poured in 15 quarts, the level would indicate quite a ways up, far past the plastic bulb.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSkup View Post
With filter replacement, 14 quarts brings the level to the top of the hash marks on the plastic bulb. I changed the oil two days ago on level land, loosened the filter cap, let it drain to the pan, removed the pan drain pan, let it drain for over half an hour and that was with a very warm engine. When I poured in the new oil, I poured in 14 quarts of Motorcraft diesel 15w-40. Started the engine let it idle for 10 minutes or so, checked for leaks, shut it down, rechecked level an hour later. Yup, the level was right at the top of the hash marks on the plastic bulb. My personal opiniion, 15 quarts is too much. Many reporting their 6.4 making oil, level showing overfull, are you pouring in 15 quarts??? I think 15 quarts too much, whatever others say. I suspect if I poured in 15 quarts, the level would indicate quite a ways up, far past the plastic bulb.
What does the Ford manual say to fill the engine with filter? I would assume Ford would know what they are talking about.
MPG: 16.08 2007 ytd average; 29k miles
2005 F 250 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed XL Auto
Completely Stock Truck: No Modifications
15 days in shop; a factor in deciding to sell.
05F250PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Same thing with mine. I just went ahead and put 15 quarts in and it runs fine. With 14 quarts, I parked in one level spot and checked it after 30 minutes. The dipstick was showing 1/2 on the hash marks. I then found another level spot on the driveway (and I did check it with a level out of curiousity) and found it to be a quart low. That's why I put 15 quarts in. The dipstick on the 6.4 is very sensitive to even the slightest uneven surface your truck is parked on.
dit6_4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I really don't understand all the great debate over how much oil to put in the motor... I work on Fords everyday... and I cannot depend on the "absolutes" that so many seem to depend on... For oil level, the winner will be the dipstick... Whether we pour in a quart of oil or a gallon of oil - who is to say that the package isn't faulty?

What I have seen... somebody will pour the prescribed amount of oil into the motor and NEVER CHECK IT.... Lot's of people tell me they can do an service in 10 or 15 minutes.... on the ground....

S'funny.... a proper oil change takes me 45 minutes on a hoist.... What am I doing wrong?
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post

S'funny.... a proper oil change takes me 45 minutes on a hoist.... What am I doing wrong?

What could you possibly be doing for 45 minutes.

Last edited by SDdriver; 05-03-2008 at 02:37 AM.
SDdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

These engines take 15qts, i don't care what the dipstick reads. The oil pan is the same size on all these 6.4's
2003.5 RAM 3500 Laramie CC DRW 4X4
1997 RAM 2500 SC Laramie SRW 4X4
1996 F250 Lariat 4X4
1989 F250 Lariat SRW 4X2
All diesels
All 8' beds
I don't have the time or memory to list all the gassers I've owned.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Skidmarks,

So I put in 15 qts, and the oil registers up on the wire 3/4 in, after checking and waiting the required time for drain down. (which is very hard to read) How do I ever know when to add oil if needed? Are you saying Ford make the dip stick too long?

I put in 13 qts and the oil level reads in the middle of the bulb. 14 qts brings it right up to the max mark. Thats where I'm running mine now. It's easy to read, and easy to tell if I need to add. At this time with 10200 miles and two oil changes, and an outstanding report from Blackstone Labs, I guess I'll continue to run it that way.

Tale care,

Bucktail
2008 F-250 Lariat, Super Cab, 4X4 Off Road, Shortbed, 6.4 Power Stroke, TorqShift, 3.73 Limited Slip, ESOF, 9800# GVWR Package, Chrome Tubular Cab Steps, 20" Alum Wheels, LT275/65r20e OWL All-Terrain Tires, Tow Command System, Tail Gate Step, Sirius Satellite Radio, Powerscope Mirrors, Leer 100XQ Color Matched Cap, Silver Clearcoat Met Exterior, Medium Stone Leather Interior. ( My first diesel )

Previous Fords,

1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off Road 4.6 Loaded
1990 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off Road 300ci Loaded
1976 F-150 Heavy Duty 4x4 300ci
Bucktail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oil changes

I will let mine drain ( no I don't have a Ford yet) for hours or over night. Sometimes I will grease the truck and change the oil filter yes I do fill it almost full. Then let it drain over night.
Airforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I really don't understand all the great debate over how much oil to put in the motor... I work on Fords everyday... and I cannot depend on the "absolutes" that so many seem to depend on... For oil level, the winner will be the dipstick... Whether we pour in a quart of oil or a gallon of oil - who is to say that the package isn't faulty?

What I have seen... somebody will pour the prescribed amount of oil into the motor and NEVER CHECK IT.... Lot's of people tell me they can do an service in 10 or 15 minutes.... on the ground....

Getting paid by the hour!!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Grampy, the reason for my point is that Ford should know exactly how much oil it takes to change when filter is changed as well.. There shouldn't be any debate about it.. If there is so much variability from vehicle to vehicle in manufacturing then there is a real problem.. I assume regarding oil capacity there is no vehicle to vehicle difference.
MPG: 16.08 2007 ytd average; 29k miles
2005 F 250 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed XL Auto
Completely Stock Truck: No Modifications
15 days in shop; a factor in deciding to sell.
05F250PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
You guys do know that "level" usually doesn't exist and is a relative term?

Most garage floors are sloped to allow water run-off in some direction. Usually its 1/4" per foot or 2%. To give you a better idea, a sidewalk is normally side sloped 2% and a 6" rise in 6' (8.3%) is the maximum slope allowed by the Americans with Disabilities ACT. This is what a "normal" driveway cut looks like. The min it takes to get water moving is 1/2%, but its almost impossible to get a surface that flat without special equipment.

For the purposes of checking our oil, its not going to make a great deal of difference, but if you really want it accurate, you need to take 2 readings, 1st in one direction, then turn the truck 180*, 2nd in the opposite direction, and then average the two.

I can see how it take J_G 45 mins to do a oil change. It takes me about a 1/2 an hour on my 6.0. If I inspected everything he does under the truck, I bet it'd take me that long too. The manual calls for checking the oil after the engine has been shut off for 20mins.

OMC
Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Remember when Ford came out with the 5.4's? They had defective dipsticks that read 1 qt. low when full? Not saying that it's the case, but it threw people for a while. Or when the 2002 and 2003 Escapes came with "MERCON V" on the trans. dipsticks, but was REALLY supposed to be MERCON? It would not be the first production year boner by Ford, but eventually they figure it out and make it right.

Tim
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05F250PS View Post
Grampy, the reason for my point is that Ford should know exactly how much oil it takes to change when filter is changed as well.. There shouldn't be any debate about it.. If there is so much variability from vehicle to vehicle in manufacturing then there is a real problem.. I assume regarding oil capacity there is no vehicle to vehicle difference.
That's the thing that surprises me too. In manufacturing, there is no room for variability.

I saw another comment around here that said that the manufacturer of the oil may not give you EXACTLY 1 qt per container. Same argument applies--they're a manufacturing company. There is little if any variability in their process.

Ford made our trucks. They know best.
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timid1 View Post
That's the thing that surprises me too. In manufacturing, there is no room for variability.

I saw another comment around here that said that the manufacturer of the oil may not give you EXACTLY 1 qt per container. Same argument applies--they're a manufacturing company. There is little if any variability in their process.

Ford made our trucks. They know best.
There is always variability in manufacturing, it's just a question of how much. The tighter the tolerance, the more expensive it is to make. You have to balance a sufficient tolerance with cost.

That being said, there would not be enough variability in the engine to allow for a 1 quart difference in capacities.
rlchv70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Do any of you really think the 6.4 gives a crap if you have 14 or 15 quarts in it? Either amout will lube the beast just fine. Maybe I'm just a type B and bigger things to worry about.

SOLD!! 06 F350 lariat ,6.0 Auto, 4x4, CC, SB, Black, Moonroof, Pwr rear slider, Brake controller, 3.73LS, ESOF, Sec. group, Htd pwr TT's

If I wanted betterr MPG I'd buy one of those tiny tire, low to the ground light duty bowties.
bosspsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.