2008 bucking and jerking when pulling - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 bucking and jerking when pulling

I am on my 2cd 08 f350 , they both did the same thing when pulling my horsetrailer. I traded in my 4x4( after 9 times in the shop) for 2wd thinking it was something to do with the shocks... now my 2wd is doing this bucking and jerking also, anyone having this problem? they are rated for 19000 lbs and I pull aound 10 to 12000 lbs,on open hwys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 PM

By bucking and jerking do you mean it feels like the engine is surging and the truck is surging fore and aft, or the truck is bouncing up and down in the front or rear?

What kind of trailer is it and what kind of tongue weight/pin weight does it have?

Type of hitch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNtheWoods View Post
By bucking and jerking do you mean it feels like the engine is surging and the truck is surging fore and aft, or the truck is bouncing up and down in the front or rear?

What kind of trailer is it and what kind of tongue weight/pin weight does it have?

Type of hitch?
it violently jerks and wont stop until I take my foot off the gas, no bouncing. The trailer I pull is a featherlite 6 horse. weighs 7000lbs

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Have you had this problem with other trailers or heavy loads on the truck? It may be a problem with the trailer, roads or (no offense) the driver.

2008 F-250 Superduty Black Extended-cab Short-bed XLT
2006 F-150 King Ranch Dark Stone Crew-cab Short-bed
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM

How about tire pressure? Is this Fifth wheel or Gooseneck? If not it is the trailer. Elec. Brakes? If elec. brakes you can use them to stop the violently jerks and to Improve towing control, ride stability, braking and steering you may need Weight Distributing Hitch.
Bent Bar Weight Distributing Hitch - 1000 lb Tongue Weight - Item - Camping World

And slow down your speed it will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Job1 F450 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 6.4L 4.88 GCWR 33000

My trailer is 2009 Inferno 4012sl Toy Hauler GVWR 19000 soldl Aug. 2011

My new Trailer 2012 DRV

pic

Last edited by chuck_s_jr; 05-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 AM

We're experiencing the same thing an jennw38. Currently, it only happens when we're towing. We're usually at a weight of about 16,000 lbs. It's only when we're starting from a dead stop. Feels like you're gone to full throttle, then off throttle, then full throttle and doesn't stop untill we let off the accelerator. We had the same thing with an old acura legend. I've taken it's an oversensitive accelerator. Our trailer dealer was riding with us when it occurred the first time. He's told us to adjust the seat further back as the angle we sit at makes us more prone to over correct with the accelerator. David

2001 F250 7.3L PSD Lariat CC 4x4; Sold Jan 2009
2009 F450 Pickup Lariat Plus w/Nav, 4X4 Off-Road Pkg; Sold Feb 2017
2017 F350 CC DRW Platinum 4x4

2011 MS 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide and a nice 4,285 lbs of hitch weight
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennw38 View Post
it violently jerks and wont stop until I take my foot off the gas, no bouncing. The trailer I pull is a featherlite 6 horse. weighs 7000lbs
i'd be interested in a little more detail........is it smooth as you pull away from a dead stop? .........how fast are you going when the jerking starts? .....are you on level ground or when the motor starts applying more torque as incline increases ? ........does it ever happen with cruise control? ever tried applying trailer brakes only with the switch in the cab to see if it helps stop jerking? .........if it happens on initial launch and you ease up on the accelerator....once you gather momentum does it smooth out?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

It will do this at 40 and above, smooth roads doesnt matter. it just started this at 12000 miles. my other one they traded me out of did the same thing about 13000 miles. I have changed the axles on the trailer so it sits more level , so it has to do with the truck. i have had this trailer for 3 yrs and pulled it with my 2000 f350 never had a problem.Ford said airbags would help , but what i read on that it hasnt helped anyone else.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mine will do it with my trailer loaded and unloaded . and I have to be at 40 or more.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I have to at least at 40 or more , it pulls away just fine. the new braking system is a bit different, its not that great. I have to set it at 8 or 9 to stop my trailer . It did the same thing with my previous 08. at 13000 miles
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

does'nt matter who drives it , and why did it just start doing this? i have pulled this trailer for 4 months with it,and it just stated doing this at 12000 miles, the same thing went wrong at 13000 on my previous 08. along with the fuel system going out and 7 reflashes.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Quick thought - fuel filters. Have read several threads in the last year of bucking/surging under load. Most guys reported back it was dirty fuel filters. If they havn't been changed in 12000 miles, its time. Report back if you can.

11' Dually Crew FX4
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

Question.. are any of you running a progam with your trucks?? I have the same issue pulling 14000# as stated by others, it starts around 40mph and if you play with the throttle you can control it, I put my truck back to stock and it went away, put a tow tune on it and towed fine, put the performance tune on and that's when it starts the bucking, so for pulling I just go back to a tow tune and the issue is gone, I was told by the guys that build these tunes that it was to much fuel and to only tow with a tow tune, so for those that have this issue and you tow with tunes just stay with a tow tune and the problem should go away.
good luck with your issue, keep at it and you will find the answer here.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennw38 View Post
does'nt matter who drives it , and why did it just start doing this? i have pulled this trailer for 4 months with it,and it just stated doing this at 12000 miles, the same thing went wrong at 13000 on my previous 08. along with the fuel system going out and 7 reflashes.
any idea if its a job 1,2 or 3 truck.......what month did you exchange it for the 2 wd? and has this truck been reflashed ? do you get the regen notification and is the tailpipe clean?.... ever taken milage between regens ? any telltale signs of coolant spill?.............anyone try hitting the tow/haul button when jerking happens?

Last edited by muntu; 05-05-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add sentence
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

I noticed the same thing today pulling 20,000 lb. load. Mine only does it as I start to take off, it took it as a sensitive throttle pedal,as I take off the trailer causes a little jerk to the truck, then I think it might be the throttle and my foot moving, which in turn magnifies the problem. I will pay closer attention to it tomorrow, as I will be hauling the same load. Today she bucked pretty good took foot clean off teh pedal to calm it down, which it did then I got into it little more careful and wasn't as bad. Didnt do it everytime though.

I know in my '97 with a 5 speed amnual, if you got into some rough feild it was tuff not to jump it all around, when your foot would bounce on and off the pedal. THey definetly are sensitive.

2009 F-450 Ranch King, CC, Dually, 4X4, LB. H&S mini maxx, dpf/cat delete, MBRP 4" down pipe back exhaust, 22" American force wheels and Nitto tires.
1997 F-350 Powerstroke, 5-speed, CC, 4X4, LB, Programmer, 4" Magn-Flow SS exhaust, custom made 4" Cone air intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.