2008 F350 6.4L with P1335 CEL code - won't start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F350 6.4L with P1335 CEL code - won't start

Hi I have a 2008 f350 Crew Cab, 45k miles with the 6.4 and automatic that is throwing a P1335 ODB code and now the truck won't start.

I saw in another thread that the P1335 code stands for:
Quote:
P1335: EGR position sensor minimum/maximum stop performance - This code means that the EGR valve position voltage is greater than the allowable limit when closed and is not being commanded by the PCM. I have two different specifications for this: 1.3V>2.5 seconds and 1.5V>2.5 seconds but the indication is still the same. The possibilities include a stuck EGR valve, debris preventing the valve from fully closing, wiring concerns affecting the signal voltage or control circuits and the PCM.
What do these codes mean? P0404 & P1335
but this person didn't mention having issues with there truck starting.

Anyone else have the same code thrown and NOT had there truck start? I live in Anchorage so I guess its a possibility that the EGR is gummed up from idling on -20 cold days.

Last edited by mc5150; 03-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.
mc5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

yup, bad EGR so you are going to have to flat bed it to the dealer. Don't idle so much.
senix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

you're right... had to get it towed to the dealer. They can't check it out until tomrrow. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to fix.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Some trucks will run like crap smoking bucking & all kinds of wierd stuff & no CEL's. Some throw a CEL & just die on the spot.
2009 F250 C/C S/B Lariat. Sterling gray. MBRP Filter back cool duals. Recon smoked cab lights & mirror lights. streetglow L.E.D. sidelights. 2.5'' Icon lift. 35" Toyo open country M/Ts on 20" Ultra Predator Wheels. Access bed cover & bed rug & much more.
gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1 View Post
Some trucks will run like crap smoking bucking & all kinds of wierd stuff & no CEL's. Some throw a CEL & just die on the spot.
Mine did exactly what's above. It sounds like an EGR valve. Mine took two weeks to get back. The dealership had a lot of trucks ahead of me. Hopefully yours will be faster.
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Mine did exactly what's above. It sounds like an EGR valve. Mine took two weeks to get back. The dealership had a lot of trucks ahead of me. Hopefully yours will be faster.
Oh man that blows.

I have a block 1 truck and I think I read somewhere that the newer trucks have a revised EGR system. Will the dealership be required to replace mine with a newer version?

Also if you take your truck in for warranty work will they automatically replace any other parts that have been recalled? I also had the problem of mysteriously disappearing coolant. Im hoping that gets fixed too.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

They always check for any outstanding campains. All the trucks came with the older EGR valve so if they go bad then they get the newer one.

Newer EGR valve does not have the coolant line running to it.

I think even up to this year they were using the old style EGR valve but I am not real sure about that.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

My truck’s EGR valve was changed back in January, and there were 3 other trucks at the dealership at the same time waiting for the EGR valves. The first one that came in had to be towed in 180 miles. Mine went into limp home mode, the cruise control didn’t work, no warning lights and was throwing code (P0401?). It happen the day before New Year’s Day, it went out of “Limp Home Mode” so I drove it to the dealership on Monday so they could tell me that they cleared the code and had to order the parts.

As I understand, the first truck that came in got the dealership’s last in stock older version #1 EGR valve (I wonder if he knows?); the rest had to wait till more came in. I was told that they were on order and that I shouldn’t take my truck out of town, so I wouldn’t get stranded on the highway!! It turn out that they were on back order and I had to wait 2 weeks.

I really can’t get any answers from my dealer and calling Ford Direct is even more frustrating. So here is my thought, from this forum I was told from a member that in deed they had a back order at the time, on the EGR valves and were waiting on EGR valves from the supplier. That the EGR valve can be seized in the housing and make it a ***** of a job to replace and some dealership will change both.

My Dealership changed my EGR valve with a version “2” and also changed the housing, probably because they don’t have the special tool to pull the EGR valve? Since they wouldn’t or couldn’t tell me why the new version change, I can only imagine the worst, of course I’m way past using the little people skills I have left, talking to Ford. I for one want to know why my truck has different parts then the next truck, and if it is a better part, I want it now, not when my warranty is up and I have to pay for it. Aren’t the cooling systems on these engines important!! (Of course it is!).
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.

Last edited by MPD56; 03-18-2010 at 01:02 AM.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
My truck’s EGR valve was changed back in January...
Thanks for the info. I just got a call from the dealer saying they were in the process of replacing my EGR valve and it should be done today. Luckily I didn't have to wait on a parts order. I asked if they were replacing it with an updated version and they didn't know. Hopefully I can find a mechanic and get more detailed info.

I'll update tonight.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

hey do you use Cal? They any good? I bought mine from Kendel in Wasilla.
superdutydixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutydixie View Post
hey do you use Cal? They any good? I bought mine from Kendel in Wasilla.
It's at Cal right now and this is my first time dealing with them. I'll give a more detailed report as soon as I pickup my truck and give it a test drive.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you look at the EGR and it has no coolant line running to it then you will have the newer EGR valve.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Picked my truck up from the dealership. I got a chance to talk to the mechanic. Actually he came to talk to me. He said several other trucks were in the shop all having their EGR's replaced. He was really knowledgable and actually took a lot of time to answer some of my questions regarding the EGR. He said they used the version 2 on my truck. Also he said my EGR was completely cooked and that it broke into about 30 pieces when he finally knocked it loose.

He explained to me that in Alaska the average cetane levels for diesel is about 36 and that Ford recommends diesel with a cetane level of 46 so I should run a bottle of cetane booster everytime I fill up. He said he added a bottle to my tank and added some fuel after the EGR install. The dealership actually had a posted bulletin regarding Alaska diesel fuel. I can scan it in if anyone actually wants to see it.

On my 35 mile trip home I averaged 13.5 mpg compared to my normal 10.5. Could be due to the EGR or the Cetane boost or a combo of both. The truck definitely felt more responsive. Either way I am definitely pleased.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Glad to hear it was only the EGR valve and not something worse. Mine felt more responsive also when I picked it up. I always use cetane boost because the levels in Maryland are around 38-39. It does help with the mpg's and I think it helps with fewer regens (400-500 miles between)
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc5150 View Post
It's at Cal right now and this is my first time dealing with them. I'll give a more detailed report as soon as I pickup my truck and give it a test drive.
ok PM me and please let me know how they are. Thanks man.
superdutydixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.