35-40 mile regen - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
35-40 mile regen

I haven't had my truck to long about 2 months now and every time the "cleaning exhaust filter" message come up i get a little worried. Most the time it only comes on for 5-10 mins top. Last time it came I it stayed on for about 30 mins or 40 miles. I was on a road doing 60mph or so. Is this normal for such a long regen?

Also going up hill the boost gauge would drop and raise alot. Id be going up a steady incline and it would have 20 pounds of boost then drop off to about 5 then right back up.

I'm really worried about it, in about 2 months it will have a spartin tune and dpf delete but I'm just questioning if I should do it now.
Trouble maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Need to take it. Something is wrong, my guess is a sensor for the dpf or something. The boost issue is probably related.

I would have it checked out and fixed. You may need those parts in the future when you put it back to stock.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

The boost will fluctuate while the truck is in regen. It does this to control the exhaust temperature and make sure it does not get to high. I've only experienced a really long regen once but it was like -15 degrees outside and I don't think it was getting really hot.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ty1

My 08 did 5-10 minute Regens the first 75k of it's life....then it went on to doing 20-40 minute regens...the dpf finally cracked, started leaking soot, and went into a constant regen as in would not stop at 79k...I did the delete then...trucks been great since...I went from 14 mpg to 10 when things were getting fishy.....without any of it I get 24 mpg now..... My boost never flucuated though. I'd lose a bunch of boost, but it wouldn't go up and down up and down...it'd hold on to 10-15 lbs steady and 15-20 when not in regen mode on a normal highway condition.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inki View Post
The boost will fluctuate while the truck is in regen. It does this to control the exhaust temperature and make sure it does not get to high. I've only experienced a really long regen once but it was like -15 degrees outside and I don't think it was getting really hot.
I live in Canada so it was about -15c out. I'm thinking that the weather is causing it to do a long regen and the rpm was only about 1300rpm. Hoping after christmas I can afford the whole kit from spartin
Trouble maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I've got a 2008 and have never seen any regen messages. But if I press the info button till I get the avg mpg screen I can see a dip in calculated mpg occasionally which I guess would indicate a regen. Do you guys actually get regen messages on your dash screen?
fatboytx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboytx View Post
Ok, I've got a 2008 and have never seen any regen messages. But if I press the info button till I get the avg mpg screen I can see a dip in calculated mpg occasionally which I guess would indicate a regen. Do you guys actually get regen messages on your dash screen?
Hit the center button, then reset and it will go thru some systems checks. At the end it will say cleaning exhaust filter if it is in progress.

Likely you missing the message as it is very brief.

Important to know it is happening. We used to have the message stay on till complete but in the more recent flashes ford did away with it.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ty1

My 08 always said "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" all the way till it was done. When it finished it would say "Exhaust Filter Drive Complete".

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
I haven't had my truck to long about 2 months now and every time the "cleaning exhaust filter" message come up i get a little worried. Most the time it only comes on for 5-10 mins top. Last time it came I it stayed on for about 30 mins or 40 miles. I was on a road doing 60mph or so. Is this normal for such a long regen?

Also going up hill the boost gauge would drop and raise alot. Id be going up a steady incline and it would have 20 pounds of boost then drop off to about 5 then right back up...
Hi Trouble maker,

If you're concerned, you can always go to the dealership and have them check it out for some peace of mind. Keep me in the loop; I can always look into some additional ways to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Need to take it. Something is wrong, my guess is a sensor for the dpf or something. The boost issue is probably related.

I would have it checked out and fixed. You may need those parts in the future when you put it back to stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1 View Post
My 08 did 5-10 minute Regens the first 75k of it's life....then it went on to doing 20-40 minute regens...the dpf finally cracked, started leaking soot, and went into a constant regen as in would not stop at 79k...I did the delete then...trucks been great since...I went from 14 mpg to 10 when things were getting fishy.....without any of it I get 24 mpg now..... My boost never flucuated though. I'd lose a bunch of boost, but it wouldn't go up and down up and down...it'd hold on to 10-15 lbs steady and 15-20 when not in regen mode on a normal highway condition.
Thanks for adding your valuable experience and advice, everyone! I'm sure Trouble maker appreciates it.

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1 View Post
Ty1, mind sharing what you bought for the DPF delete. Thanks!
fatboytx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
I live in Canada so it was about -15c out. I'm thinking that the weather is causing it to do a long regen
A grill-cover might help you as it helps keep the engine up to operating temps and reduces the cold air flow around the upper exhaust system, letting it stay more "efficient" in burning thru the soot. I remember my first winter with lots of local driving and the truck seemed like it was forever in regen (mpg was terrible).

A ScanGaugeII helps me now monitor my various temps (ECT/EOT/EGT/DPT) and allows me to see when my regens start and end (which I log).

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
My regens on straight freeway run about 12-15min. Around town, they can last up to 40min.

The thing that seems to make the biggest difference is keeping the DPF temperature as high as possible. Soot starts to burn at 800F and burns more rapidly the higher it gets. The computer limits DPF temperature to around 1250F once soot burns on its own so the DPF doesn't melt. Cold weather doesn't help. Stop and go traffic results in lower temperatures and soot doesn't burn as quickly, so regens run longer as a result.

Steady state boost is lower than otherwise when I'm in regen. I think that is deliberately done to minimize the amount of exhaust that needs to be heated. I once had a weird marathon regen a long time ago when it ran for about 30min on the freeway. Haven't had one since. Maybe it was recalibrating itself??

My regens have usually been on the downhill stretch after a long inline where regens would have finished a lot sooner.

Last edited by aquaman350; 12-15-2012 at 01:02 PM.
aquaman350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.