6.4 air filter, snow saturation - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 air filter, snow saturation

A good friend of mine just got an F-350 reg cab dually 4x4 PSD for plowing snow. I have heard these trucks tend to plug air filters in snow, and I'm sure he didn't get a grille cover. If the filter gets snowed up, will it be OK after being dried out? I was going to advise him to have a spare on board in case this happens to him. From what I have heard, a filter swap would be easier than constantly applying and removing the grille cover. Anyone got experience with this?
Traded at 45K for: Red 2011 F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 6.7L reg cab BFG 12.5x35 mud terrains, no lift. "optioned" out of- stick shift, rubber floors, audiophile stereo, fog lights, chrome step bars GRRRRR!
torino73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

i plow with my 08 6.4 as well as a friend of mine and neither of us have had a problem with snow clogging air filter. Being in RI we tend to get more of a wet snow when we get it at all. maybe thats the difference, i will say that my 08 will use twice the fuel that my 97 7.3 does when plowing snow, and the 97 consistently has a 2yd sander in a utility body loaded with sand/salt
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

A friend of mine had his 08 350 clog up w/snow.We're here in MA. close to CHRISB444E, and he had to have his truck towed to the dealer because it went into limp mode.They swapped out the filter,cleared the codes and he was good to go.He has since put a snowfoil on his plow rather than going w/ a grille cover.
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I've had it freeze up from snow. Load up from the rain too.
If you live in RI you won't have much trouble as it will melt inside the filter and eventually dry. I lived in Ma. near RI so I can see why his doesn't freeze up.
But if you live were I do were it's below 32degF for months at a time the snow will build up and clogg the filter.
Get an extra one as they are easy to put in and you'll get better fuel mileage while the other one is thawing in the cab.
No it won't hurt the filter.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have had the filter plug up several times, no plow just highway driving in falling/blowing snow. Winter front does not help much. Bob

2010 Lincoln MKT Ecoboost, AWD, Nav self park, etc.
chambers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hkyplr Send a message via Yahoo to hkyplr
I have had this happen to me once because of snow and two to three times because of rain. I haven't tried the cover from Ford, but am wondering if going to a S&B intake eliminates this problem?
hkyplr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

What is a snowfoil? I will recommend this to him plus the spare filter.
Traded at 45K for: Red 2011 F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 6.7L reg cab BFG 12.5x35 mud terrains, no lift. "optioned" out of- stick shift, rubber floors, audiophile stereo, fog lights, chrome step bars GRRRRR!
torino73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Snowfoil is a piece of steel(or somtetimes rubber) that bolts to the top of the plow sort of like a deflector.It pushes the snow away little better then the blade itself.There is a FISHER dealer in my building at work and he sells them.Not sure excactly of the price you'd have to look into that.But I do know it helps keep the snow off the truck.
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mine plugged up while driving on the highway as well. It wasn't snowing hard either.
Sno Foils are o.k. I had one for years. But I plow just my drive and don't build the speeds up so stock Fisher is fine.

Definitly get an extra filter and swap them out often during the season.

Mine plugged up with a trip in the rain as well.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.