6.4 engine knocking but runs fine. Bad injector??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 engine knocking but runs fine. Bad injector???

I was running Extreme Street tune from Innovative Diesel (285) when truck missed a step and started blowing white smoke. I let off the throttle until it stop blowing white smoke. Then I notice the engine had a knock or tapping noise afterwards. Drove the truck slowly back home wasn't but 2 miles away. I only cranked the truck twice sense then,it seems to run fine just that knocking noise. I held my foot on the brake and gave it gas it seems under a load the noise isn't has loud. So i'm thinking I have a spilt injector tip poring to much diesel into on cylinder which is making it knock. It just seems that I should get a code or engine light would show up if an injector was bad. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject. Thanks
SCT live wire with Innovative Diesel Tunes
Offshd22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am thinking injector or valve train issue. I would not run the motor without further diagnotics.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

6.4 engine knocking but runs fine. Bad injector???

If it was valve problems it wouldn't throw a code? I read some issues like mine that turn out to be bad valves or bent rock arm but those said truck won't crank after it was shut down. Another thing it didn't blow white smoke the two times i cranked it at home. If it was bad valves would it constantly blow white smoke? Thanks for the info. Looking for a shop available to take it in. One more thing will this require cab to be removed?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update.

Just wanted to give a update. I decided to drive the truck and see what would happen. After two days worth of driving with 285 tune still programmed the knocking stopped. So this is what I figured may have happen. I believe a lifter lost prime cause the knocking After driving it regained its prime. If anyone has an other conclusion please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.