6.4 The Good, the bad and the ugly. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 The Good, the bad and the ugly.

Got my third truck from Ford last week. 2 Lemons and high hopes for this truck.

Picked it up Thursday 12/20/07. It's a Job 2 , F350 CC, SB, Lariat.

Current Mileage as of today 2400.

The Good:

Interior- Ford did a great job upgrading the interior. No more rattling doors. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
Improved seats, much softer then previous.
Mirrors, outstanding.
Trip-o-meter, great improvements such as 2 trip meters and timer.
Lie-o-meter can no longer be called that. It's nearly dead on. Great job Ford.
Improved ride. This ain't no Chevy, but a nice addition.
Quiet, improved all around.
Aux input, great.... About time.
Auxiliary power jack, great. About time they added more. One in center console GREAT!!!
Moved heated seat controls to dash.
No more sucking diesel fumes at every light. Woohoo.
Turbo lag MUCH improved

The BAD.....

MPGs down right sucks... 13mpg on straight highway. Sure hope it gets better. My buddies OTR Volvo gets better bobtailing.
Quietness: for first 1k miles the truck was awesome and thought it was a gasser. It then got louder and louder.
Radio: radio intermittently shuts off for no reason and so does passenger side power outlet.
Seats: Not enough rear movement. I'm 5'11 and the seat could go back a few more inches. Adjusting it forward I can crush my legs and to a position where no one could drive it.
Ignition key slot is hard to find.

The Ugly:

For first 1k miles the truck was perfect, then it was all down hill from there. Got a nasty 1800rpm drone. Which of course puts it right in between 65 MPH and 70mph. Very annoying.

While in drive truck appeared to go into neutral, rev and then bang come back into gear snapping our heads back. With that the wife looked at me and said," When are we going to the Chev. dealer".

At approx 2000k the truck developed what sounds like a lifter tick. Only on a hot truck. Pretty sad.

Had a point a couple of times where I would start out from a stop and truck was quiet, then would start sounding like a noisy diesel and the go quiet again. Happened only a few times , so I think this one worked itself out.

Going to give is some time to work things out. If things continue to go bad I'll go with a GMC and just tow my fifth overweight. I sure hope Ford can work out these issues.

To end on a plus note: The truck isn't leaking and I can finally park in the driveway without speckling it.
SDdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Re: 6.4 The Good, the bad and the ugly.

The only complaint I have is the fuel mileage, but I knew about that before I bought it. So far this truck is shaping up to be the best one I've ever had. It's getting smoother and quieter as it's getting broken in.

You may have gotten some bad fuel. Might go by a Ford dealership and get some Motorcraft diesel fuel treatment.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I bet you been married half a dozen times too! NO! one could possibly make you happy. This is your third truck a 2008 get real buddy and go find some where else to start trouble.
Tailrotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you have a lemon again because i have none of the stuff you describe. My truck is still extremely quiet and i dont have problems with it shifting out of drive. no problem with the radio.
Traded for 08 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi, Lots of options
TurboForMyTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

What are the odds of needing all three trucks replaced? Long, at best.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a problem with my radio. All of a sudden the speakers will completely cut out, then cut back in.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Now I'm going to jump out on a limb here..But if I had a vehicle that acted like it went into neutral and then BANG back into gear I would not wast time typing a message like this I'd be at the dealer...
Hope you enjoy your Chevy.......It is apparent you deserve one...
Black over Silver.
Picked up 5/07.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/FordDieselPower/start
Truck Of The Week
jam116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't forget reverse...claims it went from drive to neutral then to reverse and then back into drive...go figure. And it snapped their heads back, which would indicate be didn't have his foot on the brake....I'm assuming it was pretty dang exciting for the folks behind him. Hope he follows his wife's friendly advice and drives directly to the Chevy dealer...in drive or reverse. Not sure how he could tell whether the thing was quiet or not since I doubt he stopped gripping from the moment he set foot inside the vehicle.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Newsnose, I don't think he meant reverse when he typed rev. I think he meant it reved up and then slammed back into drive. Either way, I have no comment on this thread.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea, I bit my tongue for the month I've been following it and guess I should have kept biting it.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

With the sudden power loss feeling I think you went into regen. Mine did it yesterday it felt like i hit a bump on the highway twice within 5 seconds. My regular exit was coming up and I got off. When I came to a stop the idle was 750rpms, telling me it's regening.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4, 6.4L, 4 tires, brakes, windshield, windshield wipers, tailgate, bumpers, blinkers, headlights, spare tire, rear bumper, hood, antenna, driver AND passenger seats, speedometer, radio, steering wheel, & spare set of keys!
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tailrotor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet you been married half a dozen times too! NO! one could possibly make you happy. This is your third truck a 2008 get real buddy and go find some where else to start trouble. </div></div>

What is your problem dude?
TheDieselStop is a very informative forum site. It is a darn shame that certain mambers like to entertain such a hostility towards other members with issues. What bothers one guy might not bother the other guy next door and vice versa. If the guy spends his hard earned dough and has complaints and/or comments about his ride, he should not be flamed for it.
We are all adults on here (at least I hope so), and we should be able to exchange the information, tips, gripes, complaints, praises, tricks etc. without one member attacking another one with sarcastic remarks.
Let's excersise a little civility here, nobody wants a lemon truck, or two, or three, or however many.
Let's all get along [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

J.Miskovic
2004 F-650 XLT Supercab, Cummins with Allison, 192K
2001 Dodge SLT 3500 Quad cab, 110K, great engine...the rest is Dodge...
jmiskovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

On the radio topic, do you have Sirrius Sat. radio? If so, you may have been experiencing drop out caused by momentairly loosing sat. signal. This happens to me if I go under a hiway overpass slowly or sit under the roof at a gas station. The sat. receiver needs an unobstructed view of the sky to get good reception unless you're near a ground repeater. It will just cut out until signal resumes, doesn't happen in regular radio mode.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

&lt;Seats: Not enough rear movement. I'm 5'11 and the seat could go back a few more inches. Adjusting it forward I can crush my legs and to a position where no one could drive it.&gt;

i don't get it i am 6'1 and have no problem with seat position. try adjusting the peadals down or move the steering wheel out of your lap. im guessing the last two trucks that have the same cab size and seat position you did not feel cramped in?

sat radio can got out just driving under over passes or even just to close to a building if you are on the side of the building that would block the signal.

ride wise i personally think the ford rides better then the gm these days the gm's are harsher to me. maybe it's gm's smaller lower profile tires or something.

as for door rattles? take all the clap out of the door pockets the rattle will probably cure itself.
JOHNNYWEB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I agree that the ride on the Ford is better -- the GM is harsher unloaded at least. MPG's blow. My rattle has been isolated to the rear center seat belt that is being used for the car seat base. At times mine sounds sick -- never had any problems with any vehicles before, so I can't say exactly what it sounds like. It is during accelleration, a mechanical, clicky sound. I had thought that it may have something to do with regeneration, but now I'm not so sure. It goes back to the dealer this week to see if they can identify it. I am seriously considering taking my lumps and trading it in on a GM, maybe even going back to Dodge. I will sorely miss the ride and King Ranch package, not to mention all of the nice little things that Ford does so much better than anyone else (rear view camera, lockable front hubs, most comfortable cab, stowable bed extender, tailgate step, integrated trailer brake controller, best tow mirrors by far, etc)
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.