6.4 vs. 6.0 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 vs. 6.0

Hey gang. New here from Texas. I'm about to buy a new to me truck. Can yall tell me the pros and cons of the 6.4 vs the 6.0. The 6.0 would be in an '06-'07 F-350. Any info would be appreciated. I am looking at all makes. I love my Cummins but I have always been a Ford man and I'm trying to get the skinny on all of them.
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can tell you the best years of the 6.0 were 06 and 07. I think these were decent engines. The new auto tranny is beefed up for 08. Stay away from the Cummins for now as they are having the most problems. Ford is next due to a new engine but is mostly having some minor problems. Chevy has the best engine track record mainly because they are using the same engine since late 2000. However, speaking of all the trucks the new Ford is by far the strongest, beefiest, heaviest, best quality, best breaking, and from my experience rides the best. The inside looks the best unless you like a car like interior then you would prefer a GM product. Dodge insides look more like a kia or something in the $8000 price range. Their bodies are thin steel and the insides look like something from Walmart. The Ford is not the fastest but once a big load is attached it is very powerful. It seems like the more weight you add the harder it can pull. The Cummins is addictive though as it has very low end torque that is felt as soon as you hit the gas. The Chevy is the fastest unloaded but is also the lightest truck of the three. The Ford is designed just to pull huge loads and to carry ALOT of cargo. Its big inside and out and handles a big load with authority. It also has the best mirrors by far. Hope that helps.
Helwig rear stabilizer, Bilstein shocks
sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went the 06 when I had the same decision to make! Man I love this truck! and it was a lot less than an 08 ,, just get an oasis report to see the repair history
O6 King Ranch cc sb 4 inch lift ,35 Pro Comp,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console ,2x10 subs, xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual bilstein steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , up fitters added ,weather guard mats , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Marinco Mod ,Zoodad waste Fabtech traction bars, Some other stuff
ZMANN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Guys, i appreciate the info. You hear a lot of horror stories. I was a paramedic for a long time and we only used Fords. NOTHING gets abused like an ambulance. The first 6.0s had problems but we never had anymore in the later ones. I'm not all that wild about the emissions crap on the new ones either. Main use will be to yank my 40ft toy hauler around. I use my company truck for runnin around. Any idea on fuel milege on a DRW with 4.10s and 4.30s? Reason I ask is that I have found a couple with the Tow Boss pkg.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get about 11.5 MPG regardless of in town or highway. I haven't had the truck long, but the previous owner did not reset the unit for over 6,000 miles and he averaged 11.5 also.

I checked the MPG manually and got about the same number.

2010 Mustang GT Premium - 4.6L-3V, 5 Speed, Grabber Blue - Now this is FUN!

1997 F250 EXT Cab, 4x4, E4OD, 4.10, 273k+ miles.
Modifications: Pyro & boost guage, 202 T-stat, transmission cooler & Tymar - SOLD!!!!!!!

2004 John Deere 5420 MFWD Utility Tractor with 541 MSL Loader.
burnetma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyMedic View Post
Guys, i appreciate the info. You hear a lot of horror stories. I was a paramedic for a long time and we only used Fords. NOTHING gets abused like an ambulance. The first 6.0s had problems but we never had anymore in the later ones. I'm not all that wild about the emissions crap on the new ones either. Main use will be to yank my 40ft toy hauler around. I use my company truck for runnin around. Any idea on fuel milege on a DRW with 4.10s and 4.30s? Reason I ask is that I have found a couple with the Tow Boss pkg.
I get around 15mpg in town and 18mpg hwy with my dually. I have the 4.10's. I would think 06's and 07's get about the same. Newer 6.4's seem to be getting alot less with the added PDF
Snug-Top Shell
Bed Rug
ARB Front Bumper
Rough Country leveling kit
Rough Country Nitro Shocks
Power Slot Rotors
EBC "Green Stuff" pads
24' Haulmark Jobsite
2007 Arctic Cat 650H1
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
I can tell you the best years of the 6.0 were 06 and 07. I think these were decent engines. The new auto tranny is beefed up for 08. Stay away from the Cummins for now as they are having the most problems. Ford is next due to a new engine but is mostly having some minor problems. Chevy has the best engine track record mainly because they are using the same engine since late 2000. However, speaking of all the trucks the new Ford is by far the strongest, beefiest, heaviest, best quality, best breaking, and from my experience rides the best. The inside looks the best unless you like a car like interior then you would prefer a GM product. Dodge insides look more like a kia or something in the $8000 price range. Their bodies are thin steel and the insides look like something from Walmart. The Ford is not the fastest but once a big load is attached it is very powerful. It seems like the more weight you add the harder it can pull. The Cummins is addictive though as it has very low end torque that is felt as soon as you hit the gas. The Chevy is the fastest unloaded but is also the lightest truck of the three. The Ford is designed just to pull huge loads and to carry ALOT of cargo. Its big inside and out and handles a big load with authority. It also has the best mirrors by far. Hope that helps.
This says it ALL. You will not find a better response than this. Good luck..
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why Not Save A Lot Of Money And Get A 06 Or 07 6.0 And In The Long Run Save A Pile Of Money On Fuel As The 6.0 Will Get Better Fuel Mileage Or Find A Low Mileage 7.3 And Get Good Fuel Mileage And Awsome Reliability.
JOHN 3:16
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I like my 06! The 08's do look cool.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

A great question with some answers. My mom & dad were going through a similar dilemma, but had to make a buying decision quickly. They had their '06 totaled two weeks ago while away from home when a bimbo in an Isuzu Trooper (going too fast) skidded across the centerline and slammed directly into the front end. They are okay (had their seat belts on & airbags deployed). They loved their '06 after many years in a '95 towing 5'ers.

The found a "pre-owned" '08 F250 OffRoad 4x4 CC LB. Mom's first impressions were nicer interior & upgraded options. Rougher ride due to heavier springs. Dad's first impression was better pulling, faster acceleration. Can't take it to Mexico because of ULSD that Mexico doesn't have (but with all the bad press about our southern neighbors, not an issue now). Most of their friends in their Alpenlite Travel clubs drive Fords. Those that have "graduated" to the 6.4 have seen as good of fuel mileage as their previous 6.0's with better acceleration.
'00 F250 XLT 4x4 (born on 6/00), manual tranny & hubs, SPA Techniques EGT/Boost Gauge, Homemade HX Crossover Mod & Return Fuel Regulator, Toro Liner, 203* T-stat and Coolant Filter, LUK Clutch, flywheel & pressure plate, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filter
Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Engine Fan Noise

I've just ordered a Lariat 2009 SD F350 6.4 turbo diesel and am wondering if Ford solved the problem of engine fan noise with the new 6.4?
Don McKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

what was the problem with the engine fan? First I've heard of this one. Thanks just curious.
Helwig rear stabilizer, Bilstein shocks
sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Diesel Lovers Don't Let Friends Buy 6.0s

Suggest you do more reading. If you want a low risk truck for maintenance downtime, costs, etc do not buy the 6.0
MPG: 16.08 2007 ytd average; 29k miles
2005 F 250 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed XL Auto
Completely Stock Truck: No Modifications
15 days in shop; a factor in deciding to sell.
05F250PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05F250PS View Post
Suggest you do more reading. If you want a low risk truck for maintenance downtime, costs, etc do not buy the 6.0
Ridiculous post! Many, many very happy 6.0 owners who would recommend the 6.0 without hesitation! I'm one of them. 94,000 miles of towing 25k combined in the mtns of NM without one problem... Not one single issue with my 04 F-350 or its 6.0. I love the truck and will never part with it!
Snug-Top Shell
Bed Rug
ARB Front Bumper
Rough Country leveling kit
Rough Country Nitro Shocks
Power Slot Rotors
EBC "Green Stuff" pads
24' Haulmark Jobsite
2007 Arctic Cat 650H1
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
Ridiculous post! Many, many very happy 6.0 owners who would recommend the 6.0 without hesitation! I'm one of them. 94,000 miles of towing 25k combined in the mtns of NM without one problem... Not one single issue with my 04 F-350 or its 6.0. I love the truck and will never part with it!

Last comment:

If you look around you will find most see the 6.0 as a high risk. Mine was an unmodded vehicle with too many days in the shop during the time I had it.

If you are truly worried about maintenance cost risks, don't buy. Some have said you can buy and warranty extension for $2k on a 05-07. Does that tell you something?

I wish I had done some more research before buying my 6.0
MPG: 16.08 2007 ytd average; 29k miles
2005 F 250 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed XL Auto
Completely Stock Truck: No Modifications
15 days in shop; a factor in deciding to sell.
05F250PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.