6.4l Blowing tons of Blue smoke! No power loss - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4l Blowing tons of Blue smoke! No power loss

Truck has been blowing tons of blue smoke (diesel fuel for sure) for that past 3 months. It comes on every 50km, and lasts for 4 min then turns off... then repeats. My "cleaning exhaust filter" sign never shows up anymore. I also have no loss of power. I took it into the dealer and had the mechanic look at it, so he took it for a drive and supposedly it started doing it to the mechanic. He kept it for a few days and said it just need to run through its whole cleaning cycle. Three days after receiving the truck from being "fixed" it started doing it again... but this time it started doing something slightly different. It said "cleaning exhaust filter" for 15seconds then turned off... one minute later it started blowing blue/grey smoke. It's started doing the same thing as what it was before I took it in. It was only the one time that it said cleaning exhaust filter, but now it never shows. Took it back to ford, and now they say its completely normal -.- B.S. What is going on? Please help = )

2008 6.4l, 92000km, crew cab long box, no mods bone stock.
projectjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Need a new tech....and dealer. Sounds like all they did was re-flash it.

Sounds like an overfueling problem to me. either caused by leaking injectors or something.

Any oil creep? I take it that coolant level is steady?
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing within one minute of going into regen. It has stopped since the 11b23 flash. It was horrible, I think winter fuel had something to do with it too. I can tell when my truck regens, the motor has a different sound. It started out of nowhere and stopped. Use the System check next time it happens and see if you're in regen. Either way, let it idle for a couple minutes when you get where you're going to burn off any extra fuel and see if it happens again when you leave.
Does it happen when you floor the go pedal too?
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
let it idle for a couple minutes when you get where you're going to burn off any extra fuel and see if it happens again when you leave.
Always a good idea to let your truck cool down, especially when interrupting regen which didn't complete (if so, your DPF is probably up in the 11xx-12xxF range). The idea of burning off any extra fuel from an interrupted regen seems very important as well.

It's been my experience (in my 2010 6.4L) that a paritally complete regen will *partially* clean the DPF and the truck will not immediately go back into regen after a full stop, but it will re-enter much sooner as the DPF takes less time to reach the trigger back-pressure for another regen.

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Need a new tech....and dealer. Sounds like all they did was re-flash it.

Sounds like an overfueling problem to me. either caused by leaking injectors or something.

Any oil creep? I take it that coolant level is steady?
No, no oil creep or anything, its definitely diesel fuel, trust me!coolant level is steady ive been checking it weekly and it hasnt moved... Could it be excessive fuel getting through my rings and into my crankcase due to regen?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Mine did the same thing within one minute of going into regen. It has stopped since the 11b23 flash. It was horrible, I think winter fuel had something to do with it too. I can tell when my truck regens, the motor has a different sound. It started out of nowhere and stopped. Use the System check next time it happens and see if you're in regen. Either way, let it idle for a couple minutes when you get where you're going to burn off any extra fuel and see if it happens again when you leave.
Does it happen when you floor the go pedal too?
If im able to, next time my truck does this ill take a video of my truck blowing plumes of blue smoke trailing behind me and upload it to youtube! Even when im sitting at a stop our cab starts filling with an abnoxious diesel fuel scent. When i give it a bit of gas it blows lots of blue smoke. When i floor it you cant even see the vehicles behind me. Not even kidding, you have to see it to believe it! What year is your truck? Im going to ask if they can do that flash on mine. And thanks for the info about idling
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

there is a tsb for fumes in the cab btw. You have leaking injectors. That is what I think.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
there is a tsb for fumes in the cab btw. You have leaking injectors. That is what I think.
When i said fuel in the cab, thats only when I have my window down, i was testing to see if it was actually diesel and not oil. And if i had leaking injectors wouldnt i be blowing blue smoke all the time... Sometimes i dont blow blue smoke for a couple of days.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine also did the blue/white smoke thing so bad it would stop traffic behind me. Dealer installed the third charge air cooler on it (an 08) and we have not seen the dense smoke anymore. I also hardly ever see a complete PDF cleanout anymore. Just took mine in and finally got the recalled spare tire replaced after waiting 4+ months for a tire to be born. Now there is an oil leak in the rear of the engine and I'm running with dyed oil to determine if it's the rear main or a high pressure oil line the dealer says.
427tunnelport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

White Smoke with hard Accelleration

I have a 2008 F-250HD. At about 14k miles I noticed very, heavy white smoke during hard acceleration. It loss power too. Seemed it didn't want to get out of its own way and just sputtered along. If I let up on the throttle the press it again it the smoke goes away and the power quickly returns. This normally happens if I am moving around 25-35 and hit the fuel.

I took it in for a look. Dealer replaced the CAC per TSB 11-2-2 and cleaned the CAC tubes. It ran great until around 17k miles - this past weekend. Same thing, but smoke not as white, still loss of power though until I let up on it then push again.

Any clues?

I miss my 7.3.

BADEZL
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Blue Smoke Madness

Guys, my 2010 6.4 was doing the same thing.. Took it to dealership and they replaced the #2 exhaust sensor. That was it, problem gone!
I will do it myself moving forward as the sensor was $73 but the labor was $270!!
Fox Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.