Acceleration Problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to westin06
Acceleration Problems

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed but I got a problem with my 08' F350 Diesel. I am new to diesel trucks and don't know to much about it all.

A little bit of background information. Its a catering truck, on the road 7 days a week most weeks, 5 of those days is on from 6am -1pm. Anyways, we had a factory defective radiator replaced a few months ago, and now this new problem has arrived. Last week, I had no power on acceleration at all. I had the pedal floored and couldn't get above 40. Hour of letting it sit, it was back to normal. Still took it to the dealer to have them check it out, and do standard oil change etc. They couldn't find anything wrong or duplicate the results. Well today, the problem came back. The engine light is on, as well the "wrench" symbol. I talked to several ford dealers who offered no help, including the one where we have it serviced. I called a local truck stop mechanic and he said it sounds like the fuel filter is bad, and that I should replace it and add a diesel treatment/fuel additive.

This is my business. I can't afford to be down a week while they mess around and tell me nothing is wrong with it?

Anyone able to help? The mechanic I talked to, told me the fuel filter is an easy fix and told me what to do.
westin06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westin06 View Post
Anyone able to help? The mechanic I talked to, told me the fuel filter is an easy fix and told me what to do.
The fuel filter fix is easy to do, but I'm not certain it would cause your wrench icon to light. If you have a problem with your fuel filters, I think it might cause other problems (e.g., hard starting or maybe surging?) I believe your problem is elsewhere although I am new to diesel trucks myself, so my knowledge is extremely limited.

BTW, there are two fuel filters in our trucks, and they're usually replaced in pairs. Dieselfiltersonline.com has them for a reasonable price.
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timid1 View Post
The fuel filter fix is easy to do, but I'm not certain it would cause your wrench icon to light. If you have a problem with your fuel filters, I think it might cause other problems (e.g., hard starting or maybe surging?) I believe your problem is elsewhere although I am new to diesel trucks myself, so my knowledge is extremely limited.

BTW, there are two fuel filters in our trucks, and they're usually replaced in pairs. Dieselfiltersonline.com has them for a reasonable price.
when changing your fuel filters, if the engine is not primed properly then it will turn the wrench on. However if the poster is getting engine lights, the truck is storing codes. And a dealer should be able to pull them. Dont take the dealers bs about they cant fix it.
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Because It's Probably already been asked
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
when changing your fuel filters, if the engine is not primed properly then it will turn the wrench on. However if the poster is getting engine lights, the truck is storing codes. And a dealer should be able to pull them. Dont take the dealers bs about they cant fix it.
Thanks Stymie. If that's the case, then priming can be done via the instructions in the owner's guide (purging air, correct?) Thing is, if he's never touched the fuel filters, then he shouldn't need to perform that procedure?

Anywho, take it to another dealer! :-)
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you guys for your comments. I went outside to start it up just to check on it. Engine light is still on, no "wrench", however is now saying "drive to clean exhaust system"? Will driving the truck as recommended in the owners manual of above 40 mphs fix the problem? My worry is I cannot get the truck up to speed to properly clean the exhaust system.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have not touched anything yet...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timid1 View Post
Thanks Stymie. If that's the case, then priming can be done via the instructions in the owner's guide (purging air, correct?) Thing is, if he's never touched the fuel filters, then he shouldn't need to perform that procedure?

Anywho, take it to another dealer! :-)
my point was that fuel system issues and fuel starvation can cause a light.

Quote:
Thank you guys for your comments. I went outside to start it up just to check on it. Engine light is still on, no "wrench", however is now saying "drive to clean exhaust system"? Will driving the truck as recommended in the owners manual of above 40 mphs fix the problem? My worry is I cannot get the truck up to speed to properly clean the exhaust system.
a plugged Filter can cause sluggish driving, just get it out on the highway, for about 15-20 miles.
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Alright, I took it out for a drive and I think I finally found out whats wrong with it. It drives normal at first, however, when it goes into "cleaning exhaust mode", thats when I lose all power. I cannot get the truck to go above 40, I lose all power. I stalled out going up a steep upgrade. Just to confirm this, I let the truck sit for a few hours. Came back out and drove her home, and again, ran normal and then the "cleaning exhaust mode" came on and the same affects came on. I am 100% convinced this is the problem.

Now the question is, What caused this? I am going to take it to the dealer monday, but chances are again, they will not be able to duplicate the results, just as it wouldn't a week ago when I had it serviced.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had exactly the same thing happened on my job 2 350 , bought it to the dealer about 3 times before they can find the trouble, it was something related to the trottle plate (drive by wire ) so they replace it and since then no problem at all with my truck. hope this could help.

M.B.
renegade600sdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fuel starvation as Stymie said, but now I'm curious if it's just a "side effect" of a cracked/plugged (i.e., damaged) DPF. I don't really believe it has anything to do with your fuel system to begin with, but we are all just here to help, so that's ok.

Nice truck, BTW. Beautiful color! Same as mine! :-)
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I took it out, I did not have one single engine light, or wrench light come on. I got an appt. in the morning with the dealer. I will keep you guys updated on what they say.

I love the color. Every single truck of mine has had a dark blue color. Added the grill guard to it about a month ago. Westin grills are excellent and have on every vehicle I own. I have an extra grill guard for a 08 f350 that westin sent me defected and never took it back. One of the bars that go over the headlight assembly was bent in during shipping. Might be a good deal if you are interested and can slowly un-bend the bars.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is a TSB concerning loss of power (skipping) in the 6.4.. Something to do with several bad wiring connections. My truck had the same issue as yours (intermittant loss of power) I got it back on Saturday, so far so good.
Jayco Designer Fiver, 36'
GOT IT! F350 4x4 (FX4) Lariet, Diesel, 3:31 E-Locker, Lariet ultimate package, Oxford White / Adobe, Hitch Prep, 18's.
SOLD!! 2008 F350 Superduty Lariat 4x4, Built 4/23/07. Let someone else have that piece of crap.
Traded: 2005 F350 SuperDuty Lariat 4x4 Crewcab LWB.
1970Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

What exactly is a TSB? I want to be sure to tell the dealer tomorrow morning everything mentioned on this forum.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
What exactly is a TSB? I want to be sure to tell the dealer tomorrow morning everything mentioned on this forum.
Technical Service Bulletin. They put one out for various things that need to be fixed (e.g., venturi tee, software flashes, etc.)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

you should experience a decrease in power during a regen(cleaning exhaust) but not to the degree you are talking about. your dealer should be able to hook up to the truck and force it into regen to attempt to duplicate the issue. press the fact that this happened in traffic, and is a huge safety concern, as your truck stalling causes a loss of control functions(steering, brakes) if they dont budge, call ford customer service.
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.