Automatic transmission shift question while under load. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Automatic transmission shift question while under load.

My transmission seems like it changes weird. When under HEAVY load. When it shifts in the next gear, it will make a shift, like its making a shift into a gear "in between" gears. Then it will finish the shift and go into the gear. So..... there is a hesitation, then a shift into what seems like an in between gear, then another hesitation, then the shift finalizes. Does this happen for you? Just doesnt seem right.

Your help is appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Automatic transmission shift question while under load.

I have had 3 torqueshifts and they have all shifted firm with a load or not. sounds like something to have checked out.
first_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

yep, looks like I am going to have it checked out. any more input????
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Long shot answer--TC lock-up and gear shift to close together?

One of those hesitations may not be a gear shift but your torque convertor locking up. Sometimes its hard to tell which is which. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]
2001 Ford F-250 PS, CC, 2/w drive short bed, auto(BTS upgrade), Banks Stinger Plus and exhaust brake, TurboSaver, HX,Hutch mod/pooned, K&N FIPK, Mag-Hytec trans and diff pans, Cyclone fan, doodad, Bilstein shocks, Air-lifts front and rear, dp-Tuner F-5 chip, Fleetrite/203therm, fuel regulator shim, GOS headlight harness/silverstars, Bob's coolent filter, Rotella Syn w/single by-pass.
HoneyShucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

<span style="color: blue"> yougotme ,

Between what gears is it "hesitating" at? The transmission is still the 5R110, but I have heard that there are some differences between those behind a 6.4L and a 6.0L. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Ford changed the shift strategy, and if they haven't, you could be having the 2-3 shift hesitation. It's not really a hesitation, though, because during this shift, the transmission has to disengage one set of clutches and engage another set (unlike only one change in the other gears), so it takes more time during this gear change than the others.

If you have noticed a change during this shift from what I described to a much longer hesitation, then you could have sticking solenoids. The solenoids control all the shifting done in this transmission with commands given to them by the computer. But one thing to mention is that by controlling the transmission in this way, the computer has really good monitoring capabilities and if something is wrong, it will start falshing the Tow/Haul light on the dash and most likely store a code.

Now, if you're experiencing this at higher road speeds, then HoneyShucks touches on a valid point. When you get in Sixth gear, yes I said Sixth, there is one more action done by the transmission and that is to lock the converter. You will be able to tell it's locked by watching the tachometer. When you count the Fifth shift, watch the tachometer and feather the throttle a little. When you press it down, you will see the RPMs rise a little and when you let off a little, they will drop accordingly. Now, while the converter is still unlocked, hold a steady throttle position and watch the tachometer. If everything is working right, you will see it drop about 200-300 RPMs, at which time you can press the accelerator some (not enough to cause a downshift) and the truck will begin to accelerate but the tachometer will not immediately rise in RPMs at it did with the converter unlocked. It will now act like you are driving a truck with a manual transmission, as the input of the transmission (torque converter) will be solidly coupled to the output of the transmission through the torque converter clutch.

I hope this helps explain things a bit, and please give us some more detailed description as to when this is happening, so that we can try and better troubleshoot the problem, if you are having an actual problem.

Later, </span>

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dropped truck off at the shop today. Seems like they are going to tear into the transmission, but thats I all they said.

The tranny was doing this weird shift at highway speeds. I noticed first when pulling up a hill, keeping it at 55, with the 16k 40ft 5th wheel in tow. My truck is rated for 17,700 if I remember correct. Didnt see the reply from you Joey till it was too late to try the 5th-6th deal you were talking about. So I am still at a total loss about this. Guess we will have to wait to see what the dealer say.

Truck was put into service for:

1.new leather seats (seats had these burn looking marks on it from factory, they are replacing all the skins)
2.erratic idle
3.driver door needs adjusting
4.speakers keep cutting in and out.
5.tranny shift problem
6. oil change ( this is my second oil change, first at 3k, and now at 5.3k )

me
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

btw sorry for the delay in getting back. was out of town a couple weeks and couldnt get online.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.