The Diesel Stop banner

Check engine light

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JohnD333 
#1 ·
A few days ago the wife was driving and the truck seemed to run as if it had a fuel filter issue, low RPM's, low power, stopped the truck and restarted it and problem went away. A few days later, the same thing. Now I am at work overseas. This time it gave a check engine light that is staying on. but truck runs fine, all pressures and temperatures look good. Any ideas before i bring it in to the dealer?

#2 ·
This could be simple or the start of a very frustrating 6 months. Take it to the dealer. It is best to take it with the check engine light on, and do not turn off engine until they put the tester on it. Mine was on and off for months and never once had a code that stayed in memory as to why it was coming on. I was traveling at the time and had 4 different dealers in 4 differnt states say "can't replicate problem," until I learned to come in with light on and not turn it off. AND yes, after that test with engine running dealer turned off engine and restarted and sure enough no light and no codes. Still it happened to me again a few weeks or months after the fixes. Maybe you are lucky and you have a coded posted to memory with or without the light on at the time you go to the dealer. Some 6.4's have wiring harness issues, in a couple of known places, some had their tranny contol modules fried during a reflash that led to intermittand power to computer memory. I ended up having all 3 during that 6 months. It takes little time to read computer memory if a tech is free, but about about 4 hours evaluate codes to determine then test the appropriate wiring harness connections. Fix can be simple or a several day job. My 08 Job 1 450 has 24k miles and 20 months old now, and no light for 2 months. Love the truck, but would hate to have to make a living with it due to its down time in the shop. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.