Cleaning Exhaust Filter? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning Exhaust Filter?

I had my 6.4L in for recalls and now the truck dash read out keeps indicating "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" every day (usually once a day for about 30 miles or so). They told me they did not do PCM update but did do the instrument cluster. Kind of lost here! What did they do that is causing the readout to indicate this filter cleaning chore?

P.S. Has anyone out there changed the ATF and filter yet? I dont have the remote filter and was just wondering if changing the filter located inside the transmission was simple enough to do on my own before I take the cover off.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

it means your truck is going into regen. ITs fine
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Because It's Probably already been asked
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's Fine?! The man said his truck was regening every day! That's not normal or fine.
Gfreeman, I'd take it back in to the dealer. As far as the instrument panel update but not the PCM update, I've never heard of that (but I don't really know and I don't claim to know). I was under the impression that it's all or nothing. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge will chime in.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Real Knowledge: There is no set time frame, ect. that a regen cycle will occur. There isn't anything in writing that says how many regens are normal and how many are excessive. It all depends on idle time, maintnace, fuel, temperature, and many other variables. You will see alot more passive regen (while driving) than active regen (in park). What is boils down to is how much ash and soot is present in the DPF. If you aren't blowing black smoke and the truck runs fine and your engine oil level is ok and not overfull then don't worry about it.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

DW, if he is driving city only, its now being allowed to complete a regen, and would than seem to do it daily
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Because It's Probably already been asked
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

yes mine does that, with my job i go for short distances and then stop every time its in park it stops the regen so when i start to move it says its cleaning it. So you are normal.
1987 F-250 XLT lariet 6.9L [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] 3.55 limited slip, 4 speed, auto meter pyro, Napa water temp and oil pressure, 344,460KM on her. Injector pump rebiult at 255,000 KM Here are some pics of her
budtoh3zo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

That happened to me. My daily drive was too short for the truck to complete a regen so I took it out on the highway to let it complete the cycle.
Canada0937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Gofasterdamnit, since you are a diesel tech maybe you have some real knowledge about my situation. My truck hasn't regened in months! I had a new flash done back in July (the one that was supposed to let you know when it's regening) but you have to watch for it closely because it just pops up on the dash computer for a second. I never caught it. I had the 08B07 done October 23 and still no sign of a regen. My truck will leave a trail of black smoke and has sooty tailpipes. Is it possible that I have a crack in the DPF that is just enough to keep my back pressure within the threshold to not regen? My truck has had black tailpipes since new. I witnessed 2 or 3 regens the first couple of months that I had the truck, the kind that did it while parked.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselwhisperer View Post
Gofasterdamnit, since you are a diesel tech maybe you have some real knowledge about my situation. My truck hasn't regened in months! I had a new flash done back in July (the one that was supposed to let you know when it's regening) but you have to watch for it closely because it just pops up on the dash computer for a second. I never caught it. I had the 08B07 done October 23 and still no sign of a regen. My truck will leave a trail of black smoke and has sooty tailpipes. Is it possible that I have a crack in the DPF that is just enough to keep my back pressure within the threshold to not regen? My truck has had black tailpipes since new. I witnessed 2 or 3 regens the first couple of months that I had the truck, the kind that did it while parked.
Since it's been a few months either everything is working normally and the PCM sees no need to perform a regen or there is a problem. There is a possibility that the tech that did 08B07 did not program the instrument cluster. I saw on the FMC message board that several guys were complaining that the IC's would not program. You see when the PCM is programmed, the TCM and FICM (6.0) will automatically update. With 08B07, after the ECM and TCM are programmed, the tech is prompted and reminded to program the IC, it does not do it automically. There is a chance the truck is going into passive regen on the highway so you don't notice it and if the IC wasn't updated then the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message will not appear.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofasterdammit View Post
Since it's been a few months either everything is working normally and the PCM sees no need to perform a regen or there is a problem. There is a possibility that the tech that did 08B07 did not program the instrument cluster. I saw on the FMC message board that several guys were complaining that the IC's would not program. You see when the PCM is programmed, the TCM and FICM (6.0) will automatically update. With 08B07, after the ECM and TCM are programmed, the tech is prompted and reminded to program the IC, it does not do it automically. There is a chance the truck is going into passive regen on the highway so you don't notice it and if the IC wasn't updated then the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message will not appear.
Thanks for the info. So I guess I should take it back after they get the 08B07 straightened out and ask them to do it again?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hkyplr Send a message via Yahoo to hkyplr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselwhisperer View Post
My truck will leave a trail of black smoke and has sooty tailpipes. Is it possible that I have a crack in the DPF that is just enough to keep my back pressure within the threshold to not regen? My truck has had black tailpipes since new.
I have a question about this. I thought the whole reason for the DPF was to prevent the black smoke. If that is true how can anyone say that this is normal?
2008 F350 CC Long Bed Lariat 4x4 SRW Job 1. H&S Mini Maxx running Mild tunes (for the moment) and S2L Trans tune. 4" Diamond Eye Downpipe back exhaust. S&B CAI. 5th Wheel Hitch. Front Receiver Hitch. Bakflip Tonneau Cover.
hkyplr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

I know when Mine is regening my lie-o-meter mpg drops like a rock. normaly 12-13 around town but as soon as a regen starts, if I dont catch it on the display my mpg drops to 8. Doing a system check it shows cleaning filter as the last message. Same for on the Hwy, running 15-17 depending and will drop to 9 or so. When its done the mpg goes right back up. I believe the latest flash the one on hold will cause the message to stay on for the duration.

JK
Singleshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

the b07 reflash is on hold because the tcm is loosing its program and going blank
i reflashed my truck with no problems.
As far as black smoke and soot in the tail pipe something is not cleaning the exhaust,my truck has 12k on it and tips are clean no soot??????
FORD DIESEL TEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I just got back home from a 460 mile drive to Nashville and I know it went through the regen 2 times. The second time it did it was on the way home and I had the Avg MPG on the display (which was 14.4) and it slowly dropped to 14 mpg so I did the scan thing and it said it was cleaning the exhaust filter. At 2700 miles a Job 3 and no re-flashes the tail pipe is still clean.
2008 F250 XL Crew cab, manual 4x4, 6.4L, Job 3, TorqueShift, w/ Decor group, Camper Pkg, Off Road Pkg, LWB, Power Equipment Group, Tow Command, Knapheide Utility Bed with sliding top. Built 2/5/2008 & Purchased 9-1-08

08B07 Flash 1-16-09
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs 3-20-09
Radiator (end cap leak) @ 34,100 miles 11-19-09
11B23 PCM Recalibration 4-11-11
Hydroboost Replacement (leaking Power Steering Fluid) @ 82,866 miles 7/25/11
Upper & Lower Hoses (new design) @ 90,000 miles 11/10/11
Break Pressure switch (cruise control failure) 99,300 miles 3-13-12
New BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires after 101,400 miles on the original
BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires 3-27-12
New Batteries after an original boiled over at 105,300 miles 5-13-12
Fuel Pump Replaced (frame rail) 131,534 miles 4-5-13
compman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Tail pipe should be clean.
rlchv70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.