The Diesel Stop banner

Cleaning Exhaust Filter

17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  aquaman350 
#1 ·
I am a bit frustrated with my truck today. I just finished up a 3 hour road trip that turned into a 3 1/2 hour road trip thanks to a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" cycle deciding to start about 10 minutes from my house. I wish Ford would come up with some way to manually initiate an exhaust cleaning cycle when you know you are going to be driving for a while. This would have been much easier on all if the cleaning cycle would have run while driving on the interstate, not on city streets and county roads (slower speeds, stop and go, etc.). I guess while I am sending my wish list to Ford; I would also like to have: 1. An audible chime when the 5 second "Cleaning Exhaust Filter notification first displays then an alternating indication that a filter cleaning cycle is in progress that cycles between "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" and whatever information page I had selected for display prior to the cycle starting (maybe 5 second intervals) so I don't unknowingly stop and shut down the truck during a cleaning cycle 2. a brief message and audible chime at the end of a cycle stating that the cleaning cycle is complete.

#2 ·
The better thing to do is just continue home, put the vehicle in park in the driveway and let it cool down at idle. This prevents any of the excess fuel from the regen cycle from making it into the cylinders at shutdown.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

#10 ·
The better thing to do is just continue home, put the vehicle in park in the driveway and let it cool down at idle. This prevents any of the excess fuel from the regen cycle from making it into the cylinders at shutdown.
I have wrestled with the exact same issues. I use a ScanGaugeII to monitor my temps (ECT/EOT/EGT/DPT) and try to log every regen cycle. I also reset my "B" odometer when I catch the regen start and then again when it completes. In the best of cases, my normal (with almost all highway non-towing miles) is 150-220 miles betwen cycles and the cycle lasting 15-22 miles at highway speeds. Strong headwinds seem to cause more frequent cycles.

I have found that simply putting the truck in park does not apparently end the regen cycle. I have watched the DPF temps continue to climb for quite some time during "driveway idle". I have also observed some very goofy cycles while on the road. I try to "drive out" every regen cycle and only make infrequent exceptions to that personal rule (like when it happens when pulling into the only good fuel stop for miles).

"EGT" temps measured by ScanGaugeII are not the real post-exhaust EGT temp but are after the turbo down much closer to the rest of the exhaust (see other post with diagram). Nonetheless, they drop much faster than the DPF temps during/after the regen cycle. It is my opinion that no one really fully understands what that damn little computer is doing related to regens. Every "rule" I've read I've seen exceptions to with my truck. I almost do believe RockDoctor's gps/regen relationship theory.

I was seriously considering a delete:
H&S Mini Maxx Ford Powerstroke DPF Delete Kit
but there was recent news that they were forced to discontinue, although it looks like they're available again.

I recently went to "Ford Country" in Henderson NV while I was there and a *terrific* diesel tech (Sam) spent a lot of time on my regen issues and finally replaced the (apparently flaky) MAF sensor, wbhich seemed to help. That MAF can really ruin your day and, while expensive, seems very cheaply made and almost prone to bad readings. Might be a good thing to have your tech check out and monitor MAF voltage output during an extended test drive. Watch for erratic readings.

I plan on doing a spreadsheet of all my regen cycles observed/logged and will be (hopefully soon) writing up a much more detailed post then. In the meantime: I agree:
- get a ScanGaugeII and "program" it for the above readings
- find a *good* dealer with *good* techs (can be difficult)
- use diesel additive (opinions vary)
- use your B odo to observe/predict cycles
- whenever possible, drive out any regen cycle
- if so inclined, log them
- keep letting Ford know how you you think their DPF implmentation is flawed -- they can change (good or bad) the "firmware" anytime they want.

Good luck,
- Don

#3 ·
Get something to monitor like a scanguage and then you will know when it starts and stops. Both smotrs and I have the banks IQ and it will display the info.

I'd opt for just shutting it down as suggested.

#6 · (Edited)
I am with the op. I always take mine on a drive at highway speeds to let it finish before going back home. I am a little upset that ford cut items like the under hood insulation, the lights from the doors and so on but equipt the truck with gps that tells the computer to start regen just when your driveway comes into sight.

:)

Every single time mine regens just as i am pulling onto my street. Only once has it regen'ed during the trip. Once...

#7 ·
Always nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jester:
I was on the expressway for the better part of the day, within a half mile from the driveway........ "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". Sure would have been nice to have a percentage gauge and a button to manually start regen at a more appropriate time!

#9 · (Edited)
That way I am delete it. this weekend it is gone. no more 200 mile and dump fuel to clean the exhaust. EAP should look are we do the right way. or would it be better make them all get 50 mpg+ means less fuel and more clean air.
2nd what that DEF do to the air and or us time will tell.
3rd must of all dealers do not know what to look for if there a problem with the exhaust cleaning. I went to more than 7 dealers in four states try to fine out way my truck was all the time in exhaust cleaning. Only one would take the time to see why. I will not go to a dealer with less than 4 diesel mech. working when their shop is open. If they have less they have no time to look at the problem.

#12 ·
BRILLIANT IDEA, Oak Hill Farm! I sent the same wish list, but I didn't think of the chime, nice touch. :thumbsup: And like me, you probably don't even have an engineering degree either. We have common sense instead.

#13 ·
rock_doctor
My model is 2008 but made in 2007. So what the EPA rule for trucks made in 2007 ? On my door it say in meets all 2006 EPA standards. So when was EPA standards call for A DPF AND What is the 2006 standards?

#15 ·
wastegate

Correct, I was an electronic technician, now in mgmt. Engineers always provide a challenge to us common-sense thinkers. I guess that keeps us on our toes and we keep them in check by presenting simple solutions in contrast to their complicated ones. :icon_wink:

#16 ·
Correct, I was an electronic technician, now in mgmt. Engineers always provide a challenge to us common-sense thinkers. I guess that keeps us on our toes and we keep them in check by presenting simple solutions in contrast to their complicated ones. :icon_wink:
Unfortunately, this was questioned of ford in the beginning. Why not tell the owner at what stage the dpf is at and allow the owner to initiate the cycle. Like it is done in heavy trucks. It is supposed to have pressure sensors. If the owner does not initiate the regen cycle often enough then it could be automatic. They said they want it to be automatic and transparent i.e. the owner won't know it is happening, hence why they have shortened and in some cases removed the indication on the display. I was hoping at one point that an aftermarket tuning company would have done this but none has as of yet.

#18 ·
I really don't find it a hassle based upon my use. My last regen was at about 350 miles and the previous two were 242 and 260 ish respectively as I was towing for those.

Running the banks seems to help. They really should have made a user interface to manually regen if desired.

#23 · (Edited)
Ok it gone.. On the highway 23 mpg (at 70 mph) to 26 mpg(65 mph) a 2 hour trip and in the city 22 mpg so far.
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Vehicle Auto part

with exhaust filter and cat 13mpg highway only if I go under 65 mph and city 11 mpg if it not cleaning 6 in cleaning. And if it stuck in cleaning mode when your going to Florida at a fuel cost of $1000 one way and 5 dealer later.
So if I use less fuel does that means cleaner air over years or sooner.

#25 ·
Ok it gone.. On the highway 23 mpg (at 70 mph) to 26 mpg(65 mph) a 2 hour trip and in the city 22 mpg so far.
Congrats! Please let us know your hand-calc MPG before/after, when you have the time and/or more fill-ups.

Thanks,
- Don

#24 ·
Isn't it amazing how well things work when you get the Government out of the way AND out of your pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.