Cleaning Exhaust Filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning Exhaust Filter

I am a bit frustrated with my truck today. I just finished up a 3 hour road trip that turned into a 3 1/2 hour road trip thanks to a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" cycle deciding to start about 10 minutes from my house. I wish Ford would come up with some way to manually initiate an exhaust cleaning cycle when you know you are going to be driving for a while. This would have been much easier on all if the cleaning cycle would have run while driving on the interstate, not on city streets and county roads (slower speeds, stop and go, etc.). I guess while I am sending my wish list to Ford; I would also like to have: 1. An audible chime when the 5 second "Cleaning Exhaust Filter notification first displays then an alternating indication that a filter cleaning cycle is in progress that cycles between "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" and whatever information page I had selected for display prior to the cycle starting (maybe 5 second intervals) so I don't unknowingly stop and shut down the truck during a cleaning cycle 2. a brief message and audible chime at the end of a cycle stating that the cleaning cycle is complete.
6.4PSD, Auto, 3:55
Crew Cab, short bed
100% stock
Oak Hill Farm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
The better thing to do is just continue home, put the vehicle in park in the driveway and let it cool down at idle. This prevents any of the excess fuel from the regen cycle from making it into the cylinders at shutdown.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Get something to monitor like a scanguage and then you will know when it starts and stops. Both smotrs and I have the banks IQ and it will display the info.

I'd opt for just shutting it down as suggested.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

How long should it idle to allow for sufficient cool down and elimination of the extra fuel?
Crew Cab, short bed
100% stock
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Hill Farm View Post
How long should it idle to allow for sufficient cool down and elimination of the extra fuel?
If during a regen 3-5 minutes should be sufficient for the EGT's too come down.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am with the op. I always take mine on a drive at highway speeds to let it finish before going back home. I am a little upset that ford cut items like the under hood insulation, the lights from the doors and so on but equipt the truck with gps that tells the computer to start regen just when your driveway comes into sight.

Every single time mine regens just as i am pulling onto my street. Only once has it regen'ed during the trip. Once...

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 12-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
I am with the op. I always take mine on a drive at highway speeds to let it finish before going back home. I am a little upset that ford cut items like the under hood insulation, the lights from the doors and so on but equipt the truck with gps that tells the computer to start regen just when your driveway comes into sight.

Every single time mine regens just as i am pulling onto my street. Only once has it regen'ed during the trip. Once...
Always nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was on the expressway for the better part of the day, within a half mile from the driveway........ "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". Sure would have been nice to have a percentage gauge and a button to manually start regen at a more appropriate time!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanMI View Post
Always nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is actually very common, in fact back in 08 and 09 there were tons of threads about it... At this point most consider their trucks like they do their dogs...not really sure who is in control...

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

That way I am delete it. this weekend it is gone. no more 200 mile and dump fuel to clean the exhaust. EAP should look are we do the right way. or would it be better make them all get 50 mpg+ means less fuel and more clean air.
2nd what that DEF do to the air and or us time will tell.
3rd must of all dealers do not know what to look for if there a problem with the exhaust cleaning. I went to more than 7 dealers in four states try to fine out way my truck was all the time in exhaust cleaning. Only one would take the time to see why. I will not go to a dealer with less than 4 diesel mech. working when their shop is open. If they have less they have no time to look at the problem.

My trailer is 2009 Inferno 4012sl Toy Hauler GVWR 19000 soldl Aug. 2011

My new Trailer 2012 DRV

pic

Last edited by chuck_s_jr; 12-11-2012 at 10:18 AM.
chuck_s_jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
The better thing to do is just continue home, put the vehicle in park in the driveway and let it cool down at idle. This prevents any of the excess fuel from the regen cycle from making it into the cylinders at shutdown.
I have wrestled with the exact same issues. I use a ScanGaugeII to monitor my temps (ECT/EOT/EGT/DPT) and try to log every regen cycle. I also reset my "B" odometer when I catch the regen start and then again when it completes. In the best of cases, my normal (with almost all highway non-towing miles) is 150-220 miles betwen cycles and the cycle lasting 15-22 miles at highway speeds. Strong headwinds seem to cause more frequent cycles.

I have found that simply putting the truck in park does not apparently end the regen cycle. I have watched the DPF temps continue to climb for quite some time during "driveway idle". I have also observed some very goofy cycles while on the road. I try to "drive out" every regen cycle and only make infrequent exceptions to that personal rule (like when it happens when pulling into the only good fuel stop for miles).

"EGT" temps measured by ScanGaugeII are not the real post-exhaust EGT temp but are after the turbo down much closer to the rest of the exhaust (see other post with diagram). Nonetheless, they drop much faster than the DPF temps during/after the regen cycle. It is my opinion that no one really fully understands what that damn little computer is doing related to regens. Every "rule" I've read I've seen exceptions to with my truck. I almost do believe RockDoctor's gps/regen relationship theory.

I was seriously considering a delete:
H&S Mini Maxx Ford Powerstroke DPF Delete Kit
but there was recent news that they were forced to discontinue, although it looks like they're available again.

I recently went to "Ford Country" in Henderson NV while I was there and a *terrific* diesel tech (Sam) spent a lot of time on my regen issues and finally replaced the (apparently flaky) MAF sensor, wbhich seemed to help. That MAF can really ruin your day and, while expensive, seems very cheaply made and almost prone to bad readings. Might be a good thing to have your tech check out and monitor MAF voltage output during an extended test drive. Watch for erratic readings.

I plan on doing a spreadsheet of all my regen cycles observed/logged and will be (hopefully soon) writing up a much more detailed post then. In the meantime: I agree:
- get a ScanGaugeII and "program" it for the above readings
- find a *good* dealer with *good* techs (can be difficult)
- use diesel additive (opinions vary)
- use your B odo to observe/predict cycles
- whenever possible, drive out any regen cycle
- if so inclined, log them
- keep letting Ford know how you you think their DPF implmentation is flawed -- they can change (good or bad) the "firmware" anytime they want.

Good luck,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_s_jr View Post
That way I am delete it. this weekend it is gone.
Pull it but don't toss it. As the saying goes... as california goes so does the country. You may not emissions test yet but that may change... Otherwise good on you. Your truck will love you for it. Once mine is out of warranty it is also gone...

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Hill Farm View Post
I am a bit frustrated with my truck today. I just finished up a 3 hour road trip that turned into a 3 1/2 hour road trip thanks to a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" cycle deciding to start about 10 minutes from my house. I wish Ford would come up with some way to manually initiate an exhaust cleaning cycle when you know you are going to be driving for a while. This would have been much easier on all if the cleaning cycle would have run while driving on the interstate, not on city streets and county roads (slower speeds, stop and go, etc.). I guess while I am sending my wish list to Ford; I would also like to have: 1. An audible chime when the 5 second "Cleaning Exhaust Filter notification first displays then an alternating indication that a filter cleaning cycle is in progress that cycles between "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" and whatever information page I had selected for display prior to the cycle starting (maybe 5 second intervals) so I don't unknowingly stop and shut down the truck during a cleaning cycle 2. a brief message and audible chime at the end of a cycle stating that the cleaning cycle is complete.
BRILLIANT IDEA, Oak Hill Farm! I sent the same wish list, but I didn't think of the chime, nice touch. And like me, you probably don't even have an engineering degree either. We have common sense instead.

2008 F-350 Lariat 6.4L PSD SRW CC 4x4
1991 F-150 Custom 4.9L Straight Six
wastegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

rock_doctor
My model is 2008 but made in 2007. So what the EPA rule for trucks made in 2007 ? On my door it say in meets all 2006 EPA standards. So when was EPA standards call for A DPF AND What is the 2006 standards?

My trailer is 2009 Inferno 4012sl Toy Hauler GVWR 19000 soldl Aug. 2011

My new Trailer 2012 DRV

pic

chuck_s_jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_s_jr View Post
rock_doctor
My model is 2008 but made in 2007. So what the EPA rule for trucks made in 2007 ? On my door it say in meets all 2006 EPA standards. So when was EPA standards call for A DPF AND What is the 2006 standards?
Sorry, I can't answer your question...i choose to ignore everything the EPA says.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

wastegate

Correct, I was an electronic technician, now in mgmt. Engineers always provide a challenge to us common-sense thinkers. I guess that keeps us on our toes and we keep them in check by presenting simple solutions in contrast to their complicated ones.
Crew Cab, short bed
100% stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.