Coolant Leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Coolant Leak

OK, there's what appears to be coolant dripping on my driveway. When I crawl under the front of the truck, there's a few drop hanging from the front stabilizer bar and moisture on the driver's side of the steering stabilizer. My truck is parked pointing downhill in the driveway, any ideas where it could be coming from? I shined the flashlight around and the top of the steering gear box (I think that's what it is). Could it be coming from that front EGR cooler? The radiator is downhill from where the moisture is and when I checked the bottom of the radiator, it appears to be clean. I say this since I have one of the first job 1 trucks and I know there was a problem with the crimping on some of the units.

I'm hoping that the Ford dealer is open tomorrow morning (President's day). That'd be great since I have the day off too.
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would certainly have them pressure test the system. EGR Coolers/radiators have been know to leak on these trucks.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd lean towards a leak at the upper radiator hose to thermostat connection. They've become just as common, if not more common than radiator leaks lately. There is an updated hose available that has 2 sealing rings in it, rather than just one.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

my truck has been in the shop 5 times for that problem. depending on your truck job 1,2,or 3 there are several things to take into consideration. see if there is recall on your venturi T, or radiator. Then check your hoses upper and lower for cracks, then check thermostat housing, check your seal on your resevoir for leaks (check when hot to see if its boiling out from the cap) the last spot to have checked are the hoses going into your block and make sure they are clamped good. now you would think that the dealer would find all the problems when they do their checks, but they dont always. they have to let the engine get cold so they can pressure test your system. if they find a problem they will fix, pressure test again, and then warm the engine up and do a road test. if all these test pass they will consider it fixed. Like I said though my truck was in the shop 5 times and each time they found a new spot to fix. It is ok as long as your truck is under warranty for the cooling system...after that it can become pricey depending on the parts that go bad
citus23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, it's at the shop, service is open today. Since I have no appointment, they can't guarantee that they'll be able to finish it today. They hope, at the least, to have a diagnosis by the end of the day. With not knowing what's causing the leak, I'd rather it sit at the dealer for a few days rather than blow the cooling system on the road.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

good call, curious as to what it is, let me know.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well it's been on the pressure tester all day and no leak. I think that I read someplace the the upper radiator hose leaks when the motor is cold and that's why they have the 2 seal version that alexb mentioned. They want to keep it overnight to test in the morning when the motor is good and cold.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine leaked at a seal in the radiator. Hope yours is something simple and they can finish it sooner than it took them to replace my radiator (3 days). Too many other trucks in line before mine.
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Lot's of us are having the degas bottle puke out coolant. Check it often for coolant around cap.
Mine has been in for coolant loss for a year now. They replaced 2 raditators,thermostarts,egr coolers and it's pukeing now. Will go in the shop next week for cavitation on front engine cover.. and there chargeing me the deductable.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

how can they charge the deductible when they got rid of it on the '08s. Double check your manual and complain alot, they'll eat the $100.
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, it was the upper radiator hose. They replaced it with FMC AC3Z 8260 A. Is that the new part?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Yes that AC3Z is the the updated version.
Dale_Lakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hope that is the fix! Mark your degass bottle and keep an eye on it. I take you saw no leaking at the hose?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

I didn't see a thing when I looked. I need to get me one of those telescoping mirrors with an LED light on the end.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I never saw coolant on the ground but it always disappeared from Degas bottle. Now 2 raditors,2 egr coolers later they want to pull the water pump looking for something. Pukes coolant out the degas cap. Coolant doesn't stay steady in the degas bottle it disappears,appears. I add coolant when gone pukes it out later. When no coolant in the degas bottle I open the cap it hisses out pressure then the coolant appears.

I hope this water pump thing solves this crap. Don't want to burn out the head gasket or what ever.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.