EGR failure - tape covering deaeration port the cause?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR failure - tape covering deaeration port the cause??

So about 10,000k ago I had my 6.4 replaced with a 20,000mi used engine. The egr valve just failed (waiting to be diagnosed, but classic signs would indicate that's the issue). So I notice there is some tape covering the deaeration port on the egr valve. Could this have anything to do with premature failure of the egr??

Also, would I be better of getting the egr delete done now. I already have a dpf delete installed. I was thinking of going with dirty diesel customs egr delete kit. I don't run very powerful tunes so I don't think I need a wastegate kit from what I've read.

Thanks for any and all info on the topic.
rugatika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

newer style EGR valves deleted the coolant line to them. Maybe that was the though process.

How do you drive the truck? That is also of EGR problems..I have had none.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

We had a week of -40 and -30 C weather and I was using the truck all day with idling...the egt temps never got very hot so I'm thinking that may have a lot to do with it. With my job the truck idles a fair bit, so that's why I'm thinking I might be further ahead to get rid of the whole egr cooler system altogether.

I already have an edge evolution for my dpf but I'm not sure if that will cover the egr delete or not. I'll know in a bit when shops open and I start making some phone calls.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do the high idle mod as well. Extending idle in lower rpms is not good, egr problems as you know or suspect.

In addition, you are washing the cylinders with excessive unburnt fuel during idle. So a high idle is highly recommended.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

yup...good idea, when I get back to civilization I will get that done as well. I had forgotten about the high idle mod altogether until you mentioned it.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

unplug the egr

So I was reading a thread on the 6.0L that said you can just unplug the EGR to get home. Can I do the same on the 6.4L?? Just unplug the harness to the EGR valve and drive away? I'm guessing it can;'t be that simple. I have about a 900km drive to get home from where I am. If I could get the truck running without doing any damage to it so I can get back home and get a EGR cooler delete done rather than spending money getting it fixed here AND doing the cooler delete later.

Thanks again
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Iím guessing but I donít think you can just unplug the EGR harness on the 6.4L. It is monitored by the PCM and might put the truck into ďLimp Home ModeĒ, worst case Iíve seen is that some trucks shut down completely and were towed into the dealer to replace the EGR valve with the second version that came out.

I would think that this would be covered under the Engine Warranty but you must know reasons why not. In any case, if an expert doesnít answer you, you could always call a Ford Dealer and ask them or Ford Roadside Assistance?
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree, would not do that on the 6.4. EGR can shut it down completely.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

results

My egr valve was indeed crapped out and they replaced it. It still wouldn't run and a leakdown test was done showing the high pressure fuel pump was shot.

It sounds like NADP (who installed and suppliedthe slightly used 20,000mi engine for me) is going to cover the fuel pump, much to their credit, as I did not expect them to. After the engine install they just gave me a verbal that they would make things right if anything major happened. Guess my trust was not misplaced. That is the mark of a pretty good business if you ask me and they will be getting as much business directed to them as I can. Pretty rare these days to find a business like that.

I will be getting the EGR delete done as soon as finances allow.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Be sure to start off with new OEM fuel filters. Sounds like some great people.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Still here. Dealership is unable to get supply/return lines on high pressure fuel pump to quit leaking. They have had the cab off twice now and will have to take it off a third time. Seems there is a problem with the new nylon washers or something that Ford is recommending. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?? I am getting kinda frustrated.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Still here. Dealership is unable to get supply/return lines on high pressure fuel pump to quit leaking. They have had the cab off twice now and will have to take it off a third time. Seems there is a problem with the new nylon washers or something that Ford is recommending. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?? I am getting kinda frustrated.
Lines and washers are not re-useable.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

they said they used all new lines and washers the second time...still leaking. This guy is a Ford certified diesel mechanic...***? Is it that complicated to get a fuel line not to leak? These are the new nylon washers...should they be using the old copper washers that Ford does not recommend?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
also keep in mind that the EGR system is the over pressure protection (waste gate sort of) so once its shut off if you hammer the throttle or are towing a bog load you could over pressure a cylinder or two and be replacing the 20,000 mile engine with a 30,000 mile engine.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.