EGR Replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Replacement

Any idea what the cost is to replace the EGR. I have an 08 Job1 and would like to have it replaced prior to it leaving me stranded on the highway somewhere. It's too cold to be stuck in a truck.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are you having any problems that would lead you to think the EGR is not working properly?
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

During the holidays I had a power loss under relatively heavy acceleration that lasted until I shut the truck off and re started it. Nothing since then, but there seems to be a lot of failures with the Job 1 EGR's.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

i am running the same EGR. My truck is a job 3. No issues. I run mine hard though.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a Job3 and on Friday Jan 22, I had a new EGR Valve and housing installed (I was told it was a newer version). It was ordered on Jan 4th and came in on Jan 15th. There were three trucks waiting for them. My truck lost power and cruise control wouldn’t work. When I shut off my truck and started it later, it had power again and I drove it to the dealership. There were no warning lights but the dealer said that it had error codes and ordered the parts. The other trucks were towed there and didn’t regain their power. A Vender posted on this forum that they were having delays in getting these parts, since mine was covered under warranty, I didn’t ask him the price.
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
$750 parts and labor.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can get you a better deal if you want a spare; the only bad thing is that most of them are not coming out of the housings, and the housings must then be replaced as well

While we have been replacing them at our dealership, its not been nearly as often as the 6.0s or 6.4 radiators. We seem to have the most trouble when it gets cold.

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I replaced mine a couple of days ago. The truck threw a check engine code. Ford wanted $ 125.00 to tell me what the code was. I took it to Auto Zone and they told me what the code was for free. They said it was the ERG valve but that the truck was to new for them to have replacement parts. I got one from Dickerson Ford in York,SC for $304.75. I would have ordered one on line for $176.19 plus shipping at Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories but I needed the truck up and running.

I used a copper pry bar and hammer to work it out.
I broke the EGR valve into but I was lucky that the housing was not damaged. I probaly should have used pentrating spray and let it sit for an hour or two.

My truck is Job 1 and the EGR valve had cooliant running through it. The newer style EGR valve has been redisigned and DOES NOT have the cooliant running through it. It took me about 30 minutes to replace it. The only hard part will be getting the ERG valve out of the housing. If you break the housing you can order another one at the above listed website fairly reasonable.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thats good to hear its that cheap. It sounds like it should be replaced every so often as preventative maintenance. Twice after the new Edge programmer mine stuck open and threw codes. It throws a huge plumm of smoke when the EGR is partialy open. It has worked the past few thousand miles but I feel like it will return. But if it is that easy than I am thinking just replace it once in a while?????????

1983 M1009 CUCV 6.2L Detroit Diesel
08AZF350SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Stranded by EGR failure

I just had to replace EGR and Housing. The truck died when I tried to crank it at my hunting lease. Check engine light came on and the truck would only run on 2 or 3 cylinders. Called Ford Roadside assistance to tow it. I had to wait two days before I could take the wrecker to the truck due to high water in the creeks it had to cross. Wrecker operator and roadside assistance person were great. Dealer was out of EGR's and had to wait for one to come in. Truck is fixed now and best of all, it cost me nothing because the warranty covered everything (parts, labor, tow). The new EGR is a different design than the old one. Maybe we need to carry one in the glovebox like we used to carry the CPS.

SOLD: Early 99, F250, 7.3, XLT, White, CC, 4x4, Short Bed, 285x75x16 BFG AT, Manual 4x4, Ford AIS air filter, Warn Transformer Grill Guard, BTS Transmission by Brian T. 216,017 miles and still going.
1abnengr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Which warranty covered it, bumper to bumper or motor? Just wondering because I've got 39k on mine now.
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

The 5yr/100k engine warranty should cover that

Some people say the emmissions warranty might cover it as well

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Which warranty covered it, bumper to bumper or motor? Just wondering because I've got 39k on mine now.
When I called Ford Roadside Assistance, the lady looked at all of the warranties and told me how much coverage I had left on each one (bumper to bumper/engine/emissions, etc). She couldn't tell me if the EGR was covered under engine warranty or not because we didn't know for sure what was wrong at the time. I just told her what had happened and that the check engine light was on and that I had 27,000miles on the odometer. She had all the other information from the VIN. When I picked it up at the dealer, the truck service manager just gave me back my keys and said it's all taken care of. Have a nice day. I love it when things work like they're supposed to. I'm happy with the service even though I was without the truck for 6 days.

SOLD: Early 99, F250, 7.3, XLT, White, CC, 4x4, Short Bed, 285x75x16 BFG AT, Manual 4x4, Ford AIS air filter, Warn Transformer Grill Guard, BTS Transmission by Brian T. 216,017 miles and still going.
1abnengr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go200mph View Post
Any idea what the cost is to replace the EGR. I have an 08 Job1 and would like to have it replaced prior to it leaving me stranded on the highway somewhere. It's too cold to be stuck in a truck.
I just had my 2008 EGR replaced, was covered under warranty (5/100). Initially, the part (EGR housing) was estimated with a 3 week delivery time! The dealer found one sooner, but still I was out of truck for a week and a half.

Had my radiator replaced within the last two months as well.
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.