EGR Valve Issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Valve Issues

I just had to have my truck towed to the dealer after the EGR valve went bad. It went without an warning and the truck was not able to be driven safely. Does anyone know how to deal with this issue on the side of the road? I hear that there is a way to un-stick the valve.
midnight7733 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure about a way to unstick them, it would be nice if there was. But....I am going to assume you had the original 6.4L EGR valve design, so assuming that your dealership replaces it (not just cleans it) then you will have the updated EGR Valve for the 6.4. Easiest way to confirm is that there will no longer be a coolant line going into the EGR Valve housing.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did I miss a TSB or something on this new EGR valve? Where is there more info on this? Good to know its not an isolated EGR valve problem that I saw myself.

Thanks!
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

mine is the old style valve and i have had no issues.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had mine replaced at 27000 miles hopefully the new design will last a little longer.
stewie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have no idea why the new valve hasn't been discussed much, especially with a fair amount of people losing coolant slowly. But on the other plus, with my new valve my coolant hasn't budged an inch in the Degas Bottle.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just wondering if someone can post a picture of the new valve. I have a job3
and was wondering if it was already on there.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

EGR Valve Issues-engine.jpg

Here is a picture of the old style, the only difference is that if your EGR Valve does not have a coolant line going to it then it is the new style. Also almost all 2008 models had the old style unless you have a really late build date, they didn't start installing them out of the factory until 2009 model year. And they weren't available in most dealerships until February or March.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

So why is it improved? Was the coolant line creating a problem?

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieselmankane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

The first style egr valve was nothing but problems. They would just stick open all the sudden and it would take very little carbon build up to make it stick. They would also sieze in the bore of the intake and the valve had to be destroyed to get it out. And rarely coolant would leak through the valve making you think you had a bad egr cooler. So the just did away with the coolant lines, They didnt need them anyway, the new design is much metter and lasts alot longer.
FENDER772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Do you happen to have a pic of the new EGR ?
Tow Vehicle: 2008 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Manual 4x4 (No Auto 4x4 Here) Lariat Loaded, Leather, DVD player, Audiophile sound system, Memory seats, power extend mirrors, tow command system, tailgate step, bed extender, Rancho 4" lift with BFG 37/12.50 Rancho XL 9000 Shocks.

Towed Vehicle: 2005 28' Sprinter Copper Canyon 5th wheel with slideout

66' CJ5 Rock Ready..
Pics Coming soon!
jays2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FENDER772 View Post
The first style egr valve was nothing but problems. They would just stick open all the sudden and it would take very little carbon build up to make it stick. They would also sieze in the bore of the intake and the valve had to be destroyed to get it out. And rarely coolant would leak through the valve making you think you had a bad egr cooler. So the just did away with the coolant lines, They didnt need them anyway, the new design is much metter and lasts alot longer.

Exactly, often times when I had my old style EGR Valve pulled out, there would be a very light coating of carbon that caused it to have issues. I'm not here to advertise for them but I will say that once I switched my additive to Opti-Lube XPD that the EGR Valve remained very clean, but regardless I am now switched over to the new design anyways.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Your guys experiences are good to know.

I called the dealer today and inquired about getting a replacement valve for a 2008 model (part number 8C3Z-9D475-B). The parts guy said the last letter has changed was changed from a B to a C, and recently changed from a C to a D. He had no means to determine what the changes are, but I'll assume that reflects the hardware change.

However he said there is no TSB on this. What are you supposed to do with the "leftover" cooling lines. I suppose you could plug them somehow, but what's the factory fix?
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
Your guys experiences are good to know.

I called the dealer today and inquired about getting a replacement valve for a 2008 model (part number 8C3Z-9D475-B).
However he said there is no TSB on this. What are you supposed to do with the "leftover" cooling lines. I suppose you could plug them somehow, but what's the factory fix?
How hard is it to replace the egr valve? I'd like to replace it myself instead of having to deal with Ford and returning my truck to stock. Could someone take a pic of the newer style valve so we can see what to do with the "leftover" coolant line?
Early 99 F-250 4X4, built 9/98, 3:73LS, ATO trans with Chevron 30wt Drive Train Fluid, Garrett 38R BB ceramic coated 1.0 turbo, High Flow ceramic coated outlet, Non-ebv pedestal, BHA, Beans billet intakes, Teminator HPOS w/ R-IPR, Spearco 7.3 IC, 6.0 trans cooler, BWD ceramic coated bellowed up-pipes, DI regulated fuel return, AirDog, SWAMPS Stage II singles, BD Torq-loc, BD 4" in-line exhaust brake, 4" exhaust with ceramic coated downpipe, Live tuned by DP Tuner, Tymar, Racor CCV4500, Coolant filter, 203 T-stat, Pre and post pyro's, OilGuard by-pass filter.
SOLD

2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat CC. Job 3
No longer stock.
Martin #6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

I used to have the paperwork a long time ago that had the Ford install intructions for the mechanic. I will continue searching to see if I can locate it, but if my memory is correct the coolant line is rerouted and tied in to the EGR Coolers. And I don't know if I quite believe there is no TSB on it, well at the very least Ford had to release a notice to all dealers with the new install method for it. Considering Ford recalled all of the old style EGR Valves from every single dealership parts department, if you go in for service they have the put the new one on.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.