EGR Valve Issues - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is at the dealer with egr issues now. It's an 08 with 54k miles. I figured I was good till atleast 100k miles before I had issues with this truck I only bought it 2900 miles ago grr. I plan to do egr delete but was waiting till summer because I jut spent a bunch on tuner and exhaust didn't even get to put it on lame... I thought I bought a ford not a dodge
tjmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #32 (permalink)

i use my truck for fun and work, sorry its not a payment princess, i should top off my coolant tho thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenski View Post
i use my truck for fun and work, sorry its not a payment princess, i should top off my coolant tho thanks
Your EGR issues are probably because of lack of maintance on the coolant system.

Your cap is probably shot and therefore it is puking. Your coolant is low so it is sucking air. Leave it that way too long and you will start cavitation in the front cover...then you have coolant in your oil.

Low coolant also leads to egr cooler failures.

So as you can see it is not a pavment princess requirement but a maintance requirement.

I have 76K on mine and just over 1900 hrs. Most of it towing miles...heavy towing.

Take care of you coolant system and it will take care of you.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Ty1

To the guys wanting to do EGR deletes. I did it on mine and gained around 2 mpg, smoother running, and less worries. ALWAYS DO THE EXHAUST BEFORE YOU DO THE EGR. If you do an EGR delete before a DPF delete, it'll frig the DPF system in bad ways and will lead to major DPF problems that could cost you $$$$$ in either the engine or the filter itself.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
You realize you're low on coolant? and have or had a leak at the fitting on the degas.
As seen in this pic too, when you do an EGR delete, not only to you have more engine compartment space from being rid of the coolers, but you also get rid of the tee in this little ole line and it plums just the main line to the bottle then. No tee means less places to leak Just a random fact

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Your EGR issues are probably because of lack of maintance on the coolant system.

Your cap is probably shot and therefore it is puking. Your coolant is low so it is sucking air. Leave it that way too long and you will start cavitation in the front cover...then you have coolant in your oil.

Low coolant also leads to egr cooler failures.

So as you can see it is not a pavment princess requirement but a maintance requirement.

I have 76K on mine and just over 1900 hrs. Most of it towing miles...heavy towing.

Take care of you coolant system and it will take care of you.
wow..pure driving..My truck has 2660 hrs with only 68K...second owner here
Ding126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
wow..pure driving..My truck has 2660 hrs with only 68K...second owner here
I have a car for in town errands and work.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #38 (permalink)

$986 to fix my egr valve fml
tjmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

topped off coolant today so i will keep an eye on levels in my degas tank. i Also took a rag and cleaned all the dirt off my hoses and caps. The truck has way more power with the new egr valve. Has anyone removed one from thier 6.4 yet by themselves and do you really need a special tool. i was too lazy to do it myself since the valve is $325 from local parts store. Cost me double to let the dealer do it with parts and labor.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

EGR Valve "Unplug"?

Plumes of white smoke, a $157 traffic citation (chased down by three motorcycle cops) for "excessive exhaust", a little research on the internet and I ran across this: Remove the EGR Valve Bad for Your Diesel Engine? which suggests simply unplugging the EGR valve (as option 1)

I have the new style EGR (2009 Ford F250 6.4L) without coolant lines. The "unplug" fix seems to have solved the problem (of the white smoke at least).

Could it be this simple?

My concern, obviously, is that I don't want to do any damage to the engine.

Will this work/be okay in the long term, or should I get the EGR replaced when I have the cash?

Any advice much appreciated.

Alex
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.