F-450, height of bed and bed rails(fifth wheel towing) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-450, height of bed and bed rails(fifth wheel towing)

I have only seen one F-450 on a dealers lot so far and I did not have a tape measure with me. I am buying a 450 to tow a large fifth wheel. I am hoping there will be at least six and preferably 8+ inches seperation between the bed rails and the trailer. With my '04 250 hitched to the trailer I have 8 inches. My truck's height from ground to bed is 34", the rails 54". I just measured a '8 350(4x4 like mine) and it's two heights were the same as my 250. Has any of the people lucky enough to have already taken delivery measured their truck's bed rail and bed height? I can raise my trailer 3 inches if necessary, but I am not looking forward to lifting a 22,000lb trailer to make the adjustment. Thanks for the help. Guess I better make sure things fit together since I have already placed my order.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: F-450, height of bed and bed rails(fifth wheel towing)

Everything I have read and seen has the F450 bed the same as the F250 and F350. You should be good to go as it has not changed from the 2007. At issue would be the 19.5" wheels.

Chad

2008 F-350 King Ranch DRW, Tow Boss, 4x4, Navigation, DVD, Oxford White, (i.e. everything but sunroof) (mine on Mar 6, 2007)
Getrdun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I measured mine for someone on rv.net. It is 54" tall at the center line of the axle.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is that to the top of the bed rails along side the center of the axle? Sorry if I don't understand something simple, I went clothes shopping with my wife and youngest daughter, I am worn out physically and mentally
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

From the measuring book..

2008 F-450 4X4.

At curb weight or unloaded, load height measures 35.6" from the ground to the floor of the bed. Loaded to max GVWR load height measures 31.1" from the ground to the floor of the bed. From the floor of the bed to the top of the rails is 20"

Also the measurements for your '04 F-250.

curb weight - 34.6"
loaded - 29.1"
bed height - 20"
Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I measured the height from ground of an F-450 4x4 KingRanch pickup at its
tailgate last night out at the local RV show: 36" unloaded with the tail
gate down.

I crawled around underneath the truck with a flashlight checking it out.
It has the Dana/Spicer S110 rear-end with 4.88:1 ratio. Interestingly,
the Ford brochure said the trucks rated for 11,000-lbs on the rear-end,
but the door jam sticker said 9500-lbs rear GAWR and 6500-lbs front axle
GAWR. Presumably the lower 9500-lbs rear GAWR is due to the spring pack
being rated less than the S110. I.e, its sprung for 9500-lbs and not the
11,000-lbs the S110 is rated at.

The spring pack has only 3 main leaves and one overload leaf for each side.
And the overload leaves are just barely outa contact with the truck
unloaded.

The frame and brakes are really massive. There's lotsa overload margin
in the F-450. Big difference between the F-450 and a comparable F-350
duallie -- yet only a miniscule 1500-lbs difference in GVWR.

There's also plenty of space between the fuel tank and the transfer case.
Wide open spaces there. Enough for another large fuel tank. I'm
surprised that Ford doesn't offer an auxiliary tank option there. You'll
need it with the 4.88:1 diffs...

--Old_Dog
Filter, Tranny Filter, OilGuard Bypass Oil Filter, Mag Hy-Tech Dana-80 Cover.
Old_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RVrs R US

[ QUOTE ]
Is that to the top of the bed rails along side the center of the axle? Sorry if I don't understand something simple, I went clothes shopping with my wife and youngest daughter, I am worn out physically and mentally

[/ QUOTE ]

Capt, goin' shopping with the gals will do it to you every time won't it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zombie.gif[/img]

This thread probably belongs in the towing forums but here goes anyway:

Just did the measurements with a local 5th wheel hitch dealer to determine what aftermarket fifth wheel hitch height we will need to provide a minumum of 6" clearance between truck bed rails and fiver overhang for our 2008 F-450 <font color="red">and</font> be sure the fiver level when hooked up.

According to the 2008 F-450 Pickup dimension sheets, and as stated above the ground to open tailgate is 35.1" (empty) and inside box height is 20'1" for a total ground to bed rail height of 55.2" (empty).

To accomplish a mimumum clearance goal of 6": we added the 6" to the inside box height of 20.1" to get 26.1" which determines the minimum dimensions of your fiver pin and truck hitch. Our TrailAire pin on our fiver is 12.5" deep from the overhang to the hitch plate and the Pullrite 25.5K fixed height hitch Model #0503 we chose is 15.5" high for a total of 28" providing 7.9" clearance which sounds pretty close to your 8" objective.

To accomplish being level: our fiver overhang to the ground dimension when level is 60.5". I estimated (based on our fiver pinweight of 3000#) that the ground to open tailgate dimension would be 33" (loaded). Add to that the Pullrite hitch height of 15.5" and the TrailAire pin height of 12.5" and it totals 61" so we know that we are good to go on that objective as well.

If I can help with anything else, E-mail me at RVrsRUS@AOL.Com

Dave
2008 F-450 6.4L LARIAT 4X2 DRW CREWCAB, JOB 2 BUILD (10/22/07), X-Plan, White/Silver w/Chrome Package, Gray Leather Interior, Torqshift Tranny, 4.88, 33K Tow Package, Sirius Sat Radio w/Audiophile, Supp. Htr, Rear Video Camera, Traction Control - DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS Line-X Bedliner, Advance Folding Tonneau Cover, Chrome Bugshield, Dually Splash Guards, Remote Start.

2003 40' TRAVEL SUPREME Triple Slide Fifth Wheel - (OUR COW - Condo On Wheels)

Retired Fulltime RVers "Goin' Places, Makin' Friends, Havin' Fun!"

Our Pictures * Great RV Site * Our Website
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my questions. Just not a lot of 450's around here to take a tape to. I really want a hitch that is mounted to the rails(instead of being bolted down. Being able to pull the pins and lift the hitch out to clear the bed for a run to Lowes. Couple of guys have said the demensions of the 450 frame rails are the same as the 250-350, so that eases the hunt. I have to move the Teton one more time(annual campground lottery shuffle) with the 250, hope the 16k Reese holds up.
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, from the ground to the top of the bed rails at the center of the rear axle.

Also, it is true that the dimensions for the frame are true to the 350 according to the B&amp;W turnover ball company. (Mine is on the truck and will be here Monday. The companion arrived Friday.)
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.