Ford Techs 6.4 Big problems? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Techs 6.4 Big problems?

Got a problem with my 08 6.4. I noticed I was using a small amount of antifreeze for the past few weeks, then all of a sudden the other morning I had no heat at stop lights. I knew I was low on coolant. I filled it up and it used it all up within 20 miles. I added again and thruout the day it totaled up to 4 gallons. I took it to the dealer. NOW the problem is they cant find where its going or the cause. Also the water has oil in it. I thought it might be egr cooler, but now I think its a oil cooler since they stated the cooler test shows no problem. When driving down the road on occasion it miss/shake and blow blue smoke. Im assuming its burning the antifreeze. This goes on for aprox 5 seconds and then all is normal. Previously it would do the same thing on rainy days only. Any ideas what might be wrong? Is the oil cooler like one on a 6.0? Also what happens to my dpf filer with all the anti freeze going thru it?? Thanks!
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 498
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler. What was their test? Did they pressurize it?

Have you had any radiator repairs? Broken radiators are commonly causing EGR cooler failures.

Given enough time, the coolant will damage the DOC and DPF.
rlchv70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
went thru 4 rads and since the last one along with the update the rad issues went away. I called the dealer and he has the one head off due to on cyl has 50 psi compression. I had alot of problems with my 6.0 and I too thought the egr cooler eas bad, but they say no and honestly I dont know how they tested it. I do know they are only doing what ford tech support says. Only had one other 6.4 aprt so Im worried. I told them I want my warrenty extended. I was told good luck. We buy aprox 3 trucks each year for the last 20 years and that dont matter to ford the dealer told me.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 48
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
went thru 4 rads and since the last one along with the update the rad issues went away. I called the dealer and he has the one head off due to on cyl has 50 psi compression. I had alot of problems with my 6.0 and I too thought the egr cooler eas bad, but they say no and honestly I dont know how they tested it. I do know they are only doing what ford tech support says. Only had one other 6.4 aprt so Im worried. I told them I want my warrenty extended. I was told good luck. We buy aprox 3 trucks each year for the last 20 years and that dont matter to ford the dealer told me.
If your dealer or Ford doesn't care about you as a regular customer...Switch dealers or show up on this guy's doorstep with a Dodge or GMC. That's what I did to my GMC dealer when he just thought my money didn't matter. He was upset and couldn't figure out why I EVER went to a Ford! You might contact Ford directly to see if THEY care about customer loyalty!
yukondiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check head gaskets
HOSE4YA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 308
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very good info from this board on the same issue
http://www.***************.com/forum...ad.php?t=79717

the diesel garage . com /forums/showthread.php?t=79717,
__________________
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4, 6.4L, 4 tires, brakes, windshield, windshield wipers, tailgate, bumpers, blinkers, headlights, spare tire, rear bumper, hood, antenna, driver AND passenger seats, speedometer, radio, steering wheel, & spare set of keys!

Last edited by Hydro; 10-11-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update on my 6.4

Stopped by the dealer to get tools off my truck. The cab is off and one head is also off due to low compression . The front cover on the motor has either casting flaw or the aluminum is rotted away already which caused oil to be pushed into the coolant. This seemed to flow both direction because all the oil is a tar like jello??? Sticks to everything and I cant imagin ford telling the dealership to fix it because the whole motor has to look like this inside. Ford tech -Ford has not bulletin on the front cover but ford did tell the tech look here for the problem so they must of had others????? Now some might think I'm full of it, but we also have another 6.4 at work that just drank 2 gallons in one day and still using antifreeze. Took to to another dealer because they could work on it right away. I got seriouslly shafted with my 6.0 and its starting all over again. I hope my bad luck is a isolated case.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 48
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I HATE to be an alarmist, but...
Ethelyene Glycol (anti-freeze) and oil are MURDER together! That combo will wipe out rod and main bearings quicker than a bucket of sand! Please check that out carefully and get Ford to pony up for the best extended warranty you can get. Anywhere that relies on oil in that motor is potentially damaged. Good-luck And sorry for your trouble)...joe
yukondiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,282
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
Stopped by the dealer to get tools off my truck. The cab is off and one head is also off due to low compression . The front cover on the motor has either casting flaw or the aluminum is rotted away already which caused oil to be pushed into the coolant. This seemed to flow both direction because all the oil is a tar like jello??? Sticks to everything and I cant imagin ford telling the dealership to fix it because the whole motor has to look like this inside. Ford tech -Ford has not bulletin on the front cover but ford did tell the tech look here for the problem so they must of had others????? Now some might think I'm full of it, but we also have another 6.4 at work that just drank 2 gallons in one day and still using antifreeze. Took to to another dealer because they could work on it right away. I got seriouslly shafted with my 6.0 and its starting all over again. I hope my bad luck is a isolated case.
I saw in another post that you have had radiator issues and now you mention that the engines front cover appears to have rotted away. This does not suprise me. A tech that I know very well now pulls the front engine cover on all trucks that come in with a radiator leak. He has found that when the coolant level becomes low a severe cavatation issue develops in the cooling system. This seems to be eating up the front covers. He says that some of the front covers you can actually see light thru them, like swiss cheese...
__________________
'04 F-250 Harley-Davidson 6.0L CC SB
PowerStrokeHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
I saw in another post that you have had radiator issues and now you mention that the engines front cover appears to have rotted away. This does not suprise me. A tech that I know very well now pulls the front engine cover on all trucks that come in with a radiator leak. He has found that when the coolant level becomes low a severe cavatation issue develops in the cooling system. This seems to be eating up the front covers. He says that some of the front covers you can actually see light thru them, like swiss cheese...
NEW COMPLETE MOTOR ON ORDER! 10-14-08
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No surprise here, I've lost 4 of these motors in less than a year. Most of its posted under "just lost my 2nd 6.4 motor" on the Diesel Garage . com site.
screwedup2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gnxtc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Bergen County, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,583
My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And what are they going to do with bearings in the bottom end? Did the tech drain the oil or is it still in there? Coolant eats the bearing material.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
__________________
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 68
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I'm also at wits end with 08 engine issues. I'll likely keep this one until the warranty runs out then trade it in on another GMC. GM has been much more pleasant to deal with and the 6.9L will launch in the 2010 MY trucks. Claims are 425 HP/750 Torque in front of an 8 speed beefed up Allison with fuel economy comparable to the 6.6. After removing my cab 3x this truck is starting to feel like a royal piece of garbage. I simply won't give Ford the opportunity to remove it again on my nickel.
__________________
08 F250 6.4l CC SB (87K Miles), 2011 F350 ordered.
02 GMC 6.6l CC SB (376K Miles), Traded for 2011 LML
Maxtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnxtc2 View Post
And what are they going to do with bearings in the bottom end? Did the tech drain the oil or is it still in there? Coolant eats the bearing material.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
Still waiting for a COMPLETE new engine. Due in tomorrow.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
got 2k on the new motor,and it runs good. My mpg have sunk to 10 from 12.5, but i guess its due to a tight motor
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.