Fuel/Water Separator Drain - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel/Water Separator Drain

How long does it usually take for the fuel/water separator to drain? It used to stop, but not it just seems to keep going. I'm not sure if it's just extra full for some reason, or if I'm supposed t stop it at some point. It's done this twice now.
rmzsuzuki89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I could be mistaken, but I remember reading in the manual that you drain it unitl you see/smell fuel and there is no more water draining out.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzsuzuki89 View Post
How long does it usually take for the fuel/water separator to drain?
My 2010 6.4L pretty consistently drains off right at 2 cups and then stops. I always drain off the entire amount, and it doesn't take too long. Normally it's a constant stream, but sometimes it seems like it drains 1/2 cup then gurgles a bit, and then continues.

I use a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup as a dedicated drain container. After letting it sit for a couple minutes, I note any water and/or black bits settled at the bottom - always clear and clean, not cloudy - and then pour almost all of the clean fuel back off the top into the tank.

BTW: don't see much, if any water, normally if so in total as it settles to the bottom, it's the size of a "BB" or two.

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.

Last edited by deliberate; 02-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I drain mine until I smell that it is fuel coming out, which is very quickly, then let it run a bit longer before I close it. I usually get about a cup of fluid, practically no water.
wheelhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

it seems to depend on two things at least as far as i have noticed.

Fuel level in the tank. I don't usually drain my separator unless the tank is below 1/2 full. It seems to really keep the fuel coming when the tank is full.

Also I have seen it when the motor is hot from just shutting it off cause it to expel more fuel than normal.

Just my 2cents,
H&S Black MAXX
5" Flow PRO
What else do you need? Well for starters. HEAD STUDS!!!!

Then you can add: EGR Delete, Trans Filter upgrade, Air Dog 165, Upgraded Bellows, Intercooler pipe, 4" Down pipe, and Tial Wastegate.

Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(TheDieselstop.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my truck, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
08smoker08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Unhappy I don't get anything out of mine

I have regularly "drained" the fuel separator but nothing ever has come out, only a few drops of liquid. Is it clogged? I open the fuel cap, tried leaving the ignition in on position... I get nothing.
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentx1 View Post
I have regularly "drained" the fuel separator but nothing ever has come out, only a few drops of liquid. Is it clogged? I open the fuel cap, tried leaving the ignition in on position... I get nothing.
Most likely it's clogged. I had the same problem and had to take mine apart and clean it. Replace the sensor and the gaskets. Some people have gotten it to unclog by putting a Q- up in the drain, others have used a small amount of compressed air. Neither worked for me so I just took it apart. Glad I did. Got about 2 tablespoons worth of gunk out of it. Found out on here it was probably some kind of bacterial growth so I treated the fuel tank. All is back to normal. Hope this helps.

Last edited by radiation0512; 02-22-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
radiation0512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Had this happen recently also. I thought I was going to have to take it apart but instead I was able to unclog it by hooking a section of clear tubing to the port on the valve, opened the valve and sucked it through the valve. Make sure it's about 4 ft long so you don't get a mouth full of diesel. What came out looked like a bugger of wax and grit. No more problems since. Good luck!

2008 F-350 Lariat 6.4L PSD SRW CC 4x4
1991 F-150 Custom 4.9L Straight Six
wastegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate View Post
Had this happen recently also. I thought I was going to have to take it apart but instead I was able to unclog it by hooking a section of clear tubing to the port on the valve, opened the valve and sucked it through the valve. Make sure it's about 4 ft long so you don't get a mouth full of diesel. What came out looked like a bugger of wax and grit. No more problems since. Good luck!
I see how this could get it unclogged and it probably would have worked on mine but I think it would just be a temporary fix. If yours is as dirty as mine was it would have to be taken apart to clean out the rest. I was pulling that stuff out by the finger full. There was another post a few posts back with a similar title...check it out. I posted pictures of my bucket that I drained into along with all the gunk that came out. when I pulled the sensor out, it was cakes with that waxy stuff causing it to fail so it had to be changed out.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiation0512 View Post
I see how this could get it unclogged and it probably would have worked on mine but I think it would just be a temporary fix. If yours is as dirty as mine was it would have to be taken apart to clean out the rest. I was pulling that stuff out by the finger full. There was another post a few posts back with a similar title...check it out. I posted pictures of my bucket that I drained into along with all the gunk that came out. when I pulled the sensor out, it was cakes with that waxy stuff causing it to fail so it had to be changed out.
I just saw your bucket pic in that other post. Man, that's nasty! I hope mine isn't that bad, but if so I'm sure it will clog again and I'll then do the same as you. Makes ya wonder what the bottom of our fuel tanks look like doesn't it?
When I do my future filter changes, I'm going to take a close look inside the seperator with a mirror to make sure it's clean. In the past I just ran my fingers inside and felt for spare parts.
I wonder if this is a normal attribute of diesel or we just both got a bad batch. Here in Vegas, the temperatures never dip low unough to gel fuel.

2008 F-350 Lariat 6.4L PSD SRW CC 4x4
1991 F-150 Custom 4.9L Straight Six
wastegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I just saw your bucket pic in that other post. Man, that's nasty! I hope mine isn't that bad, but if so I'm sure it will clog again and I'll then do the same as you. Makes ya wonder what the bottom of our fuel tanks look like doesn't it?
When I do my future filter changes, I'm going to take a close look inside the seperator with a mirror to make sure it's clean. In the past I just ran my fingers inside and felt for spare parts.
I wonder if this is a normal attribute of diesel or we just both got a bad batch. Here in Vegas, the temperatures never dip low unough to gel fuel.
Haha. I bet you could scoop it out of the tank with a shovel! Thats why i went ahead and treated the tank and hopefully get rid of anything in there. Well I went through 3 sensors before deciding to take it apart and cleaning. I've came across a few other pics on here showing how dirty the inside of the HCFM was so that's why I went ahead and did it. I usually fill up at high volume stations but it's possible I could have gotten some bad fuel. As far as fuel gelling, im near Houston so that's not an issue here either.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Your parafin blob and the bucket of bacterial snot are two different problems.

It's unclear what causes the parafin blob formation, but it seems to vary widely. I had an HFCM drain clog and when I opened the HFCM I found a total of three pea sized parafin blobs. I've seen pictures of HFCMs just about full of parafin as well. It would be nice to know what the trigger for it is.

The bucket of bacterial snot is bacteria eating your expensive fuel. You have to buy expensive biocide to kill it. You also have to watch out for the dead bacteria potentially clogging your fuel filter after treating.
wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I used the compressed air method and made a huge mess. Turns out fuel DOES come rushing out of the port. The compressed air made for a nice spray pattern on me and the garage floor. It did drain, first time ever. After reading this post, am I doomed to open and clean? Should I take it to the dealer if it gets clogged again? (still under warranty)
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
You also have to watch out for the dead bacteria potentially clogging your fuel filter after treating.
Done and done.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I used the compressed air method and made a huge mess. Turns out fuel DOES come rushing out of the port. The compressed air made for a nice spray pattern on me and the garage floor. It did drain, first time ever. After reading this post, am I doomed to open and clean? Should I take it to the dealer if it gets clogged again? (still under warranty)
There are two ports into the HFCM from the drain valve and the top of the valve stem is open to allow air into the HFCM so it will actually drain. In most cases compressed air or vacuum applied to the drain valve will not clear anything.

wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.