Good and Bad Years? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good and Bad Years?

Are there any good or bad years for the diesel motors, or anywhere else in the F250's and F350's? I'm looking mainly at the '08's, or higher if it's a good price. But if I can find a nice '06 or '07 for a lot cheaper I may consider going that route. But I'm hearing that there are some bad years. If this is true, which years are good and which are bad?
rmzsuzuki89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as the 6.4 motor goes they are all just fine. Later year 6.0's are usually pretty good as well.

For the 6.0 I'd stick to 05-07.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzsuzuki89 View Post
Are there any good or bad years for the diesel motors, or anywhere else in the F250's and F350's? I'm looking mainly at the '08's, or higher if it's a good price. But if I can find a nice '06 or '07 for a lot cheaper I may consider going that route. But I'm hearing that there are some bad years. If this is true, which years are good and which are bad?
Well, the 06/07's are the 6.0 motor. 08-10 was 6.4, basically an updated 6.0 which was supposed to fix many of the problems the 6.0 had. That being said, from what I understand the 6.0's had a lot of problems in '03-'04, but by '05 they weren't bad. That is if they were left stock. Chipped and such they would still have headgasket problems.

The 6.4 has had some issues, but for the most part not with the engine itself. Radiators were a big issue with the '08's due to the supplier not making them properly. It seems that issue was fixed late '08. There have been some EGR cooler failures, which can lead to big time engine issues.

I've had 3 '08 trucks. Have had 1 that needed a new radiator, 1 that had a couple coolant hose leaks, and my current one needed new thermostats housings due to cavitation.

I've driven several 6.0 trucks. Will tell you the 6.4 is WAY nicer. Much more power, much nicer truck. Key is maintenance. Change oil/filter every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, and I change the coolant every 20k.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok cool, thats pretty good to know. Is there any way to know if there are any radiator or EGR cooler issues before buying?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Drive the truck! Look for leaks and white splatter along the radiator seams, right by the tow hooks.

Look inside the wheel well drivers side at the EGR coolers for white splatter.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Drive the truck! Look for leaks and white splatter along the radiator seams, right by the tow hooks.

Look inside the wheel well drivers side at the EGR coolers for white splatter.
Ok cool, I'll definitely do that. Is there amy amount of time that it should take to heat up enough to notice anything?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
Well, the 06/07's are the 6.0 motor. 08-10 was 6.4, basically an updated 6.0 which was supposed to fix many of the problems the 6.0 had. That being said, from what I understand the 6.0's had a lot of problems in '03-'04, but by '05 they weren't bad. That is if they were left stock. Chipped and such they would still have headgasket problems.

The 6.4 has had some issues, but for the most part not with the engine itself. Radiators were a big issue with the '08's due to the supplier not making them properly. It seems that issue was fixed late '08. There have been some EGR cooler failures, which can lead to big time engine issues.

I've had 3 '08 trucks. Have had 1 that needed a new radiator, 1 that had a couple coolant hose leaks, and my current one needed new thermostats housings due to cavitation.

I've driven several 6.0 trucks. Will tell you the 6.4 is WAY nicer. Much more power, much nicer truck. Key is maintenance. Change oil/filter every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, and I change the coolant every 20k.
Well stated.
Loaded, w/exc. to Navigation
Skyjacker 6" Lift and Steering Stabilizer
Toyo 37"x13.5-20 MTs
Chrome Centerline Grizzly Rims
4.56 Gears
Amp Research Electric Steps
Firestone Ride Rites
Brad777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.