heat shield on under side of bed floor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
heat shield on under side of bed floor

has anyone had to buy a replacment for the adhesive backed heat shield on the underside of the pickup bed?

To install the B&W hitch the exisitng one has to be peeled off. I want to insulate the hitch after I put it on.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: heat shield on under side of bed floor

I just installed my B&W hitch yesterday afternoon and I left the heat shield in place. It made the install a little harder because the angle brackets don't slide in as well but it does fit. I left it there because I want to keep the heat out of the bed. The only thing I donít like about the kit is the need for lowering the exhaust. IMO it makes the tips hang a little low and kinda looks funny (they hang approx. 1.5-2Ē lower). There isnít much you can do about it and Iím sure Iíll get used to it but for now it looks weird.

The install took about 4 1/2 hours in the driveway with hand tools but I saved the $350 ($70hr @ 5hrs) the shop wanted for the install so Iím happy [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]. Hereís a few tips to make the install a little easierÖ.. Drop the spare tire and remove heat shield around the tire. Then jack the rear of the truck up by the hitch until the tires just barely touch the ground. This gives you a lot more room to move around under the truck. If you're doing the install yourself I have a tip for holding the center piece in place while you're bolting it to the front and rear mounting rails. Take a 4x4 or a 2x4 and lay it accross the bed rails. The use a tie down strap with a hooks on the end and go around the lumber and around the latching pin in the center of there hitch.

Also, You'll also need 2 - 1 1/8" sockets to tighten the 3/4" bolts that go through the side plates and frame.

Gerry
Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldnt worry about replacing it. I have not had any heat transfer from my B&W to the bed. I dont know what kind of glue they use on that thing but it was a pain to get off.
I dont really like the exhaust hanging down lower either but it doesnt hurt anything.
It took just under two hours to do the install including mounting the plug in the bed.
03,F250,6.0 PSD, 4X4, Shorty,Crew Cab,Lariat,4"Pro Comp Lift.
03,Excursion,Limited,V10,4X4,4"Pro Comp Lift.
03,Harley Davidson, Road King, Lots of chrome..
01,F350,7.3 PSD,4X4,DRW,Crew,4"Pro Comp Lift
Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/banshee069
banshee069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I have installed 6 B&W hitches now, and have left the heat shield in place on all of them.
Jim

Sold 2011 F-350 Lariat DRW,4x4,crewcab,black with black interior.B&W turnover,Duraflap mud flaps,ventvisors,recon tailgate lightbar.weathertech floorliners

SOLD 2008 F-350 XLT, 4x4 crewcab.shortbox,swd.black with chrome pack.6 speed manual,3.73 gears.Ride Rite 2450,2158 compressor,B&W turnover ball.
Gooseneck horse trailer 4 horse elite with living quarters.
http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showgall...=1&ppuser=45952
calfroper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

well its off because I couldn't get past it. Have what we beleive is the correct part ordered to be here Thursday. $30.00 if you're interested.

Did you guys get the stand offs for the bolted attachment for the hanger forward of the axle? I didn't so I adjusted that hanger the old fashioned way.

Also had to puch their bracket down all the way to the upper most hole becasue it interfered with another frame mounted hanger. FWIW, on my truck the over axle bend seems to be a lot higher than it needs to be.

I'll post some pictures.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

posted picture at my album of the bracket installation
Traded March 2013
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail22 View Post
Did you guys get the stand offs for the bolted attachment for the hanger forward of the axle? I didn't so I adjusted that hanger the old fashioned way.
Mine were missing but I called B&W and they sent them to me. I was going to do it the old fashion way but figured I'd get them and do it right. With the luck I've had in the past 12 month I'd end up snapping that puppy off and be completely screwed .

Gerry
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhrhodes
Know this is an old thread, but recalled reading it several weeks back. Regarding the installation of the B&W gooseneck hitch, is it possible to install without having to mess with the 6.4 exhaust? Thanks.
2008 6.4L F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, Job 1 build, Silver Metallic, Torqueshift 5spd Auto, 3.73, ESOF, Block Heater, Camper Pkg, Offroad Pkg, Audiophile Stereo, Leather Captains Chairs, Heated Seats, Tow Command, Upfitter Switches, B&W Turnover Ball
lhrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think it will work but it can't hurt to try it...... On my truck I can say without a doubt it wasn't going to fit without lowering the exhaust.

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry40; 01-28-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Gerry40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.