High mileage 2010's? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High mileage 2010's?

Hi guys, first post here. I am lookin at a 2010 KR F450 with 120 K miles on it. It is all complete and original, no mods yet. Is there anything I should be concerned about on a truck with this mileage? I have owned lots of 7.3's and 1 6L and dont know much about these 6.4's, so just trying to make a good informed decision. This truck has all southern highway mileage on it and was not used for heavy towing.
cbarm2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just the normal maintance items..

6.4 radiators leak...well actually anything from 2008 is prone to leaking because of the plastic tanks. So check it over carefully.

this truck should have had a coolant flush, differentials, transfer case fluid changes not too long ago.

Ensure they were done or have them do it.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK, sounds good. This truck is 2000 miles from me so I cant just go for a look. I am gonna have to finance it and then once its paid for then go get it. I was thinking after reading of all the major failures on here, that I should take it over to the nearest Ford dealer and have em go right over it, changing all the fluids asap. The carfax report looks good, regular oil changes every 5 or 6K with a couple at 10K. Am I completely nuts for even considering somethin like this, or should I take a chance? Rock bottom price is 30 G's...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

see if you can get some pics for us to look at. Tail pipes, several of the engine bay would help.

I think having a dealer look it over before you buy it is wise.

Sounds like this is at a used car place and they probably know nothing about it.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is from a used dealer, but they did seem to have a little knowledge about the truck. They told me that it was a local one owner and that it had been serviced at the same dealer all the time...but I guess a carfax will tell that also. This truck has been extensively detailed and so the engine bay is spotless and the tailpipe looks clean inside, no soot to speak of. Sorry I cant seem to get pics to load here so thsi is why Im trying to describe all this. They did tell me that the truck is completely stock, no mods as far as EGR DPF delete and no visible sign of a tuner previously on the dash...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well sounds good. See if they will throw in a powertrain warranty
t
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarm2 View Post
This truck has been extensively detailed and so the engine bay is spotless and the tailpipe looks clean inside, no soot to speak of.
It helps that it's clean, however cleaning everything spot-less removes other tell-tales that might reveal other problems. Like replacing the tires so that a messed-up front end problem "disappears".

I agree with the idea of, if at all possible, having a local Ford mechanic evaluate it. They should be able to quickly assure you that the truck *probably* never had a tuner on it.

Good luck,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

That was one of my concerns, that any leaks etc have been all cleaned up with the detailing. I guess what I can do is cross my fingers, take it to the nearest Ford dealer there, maybe the same one who did all the servicing on it, have em drain everything and go right over it, and then hope like hell that it makes it back here 2000 miles. If I have any trouble on the way or I get a bad feeling then I can put it up for sale when I get home with it...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarm2 View Post
I guess what I can do is cross my fingers, take it to the nearest Ford dealer there, maybe the same one who did all the servicing on it, have em drain everything and go right over it, and then hope like hell that it makes it back here 2000 miles.
Definitely go back to *that* dealer that did the maintenance.

Make sure you drain the water separator (see threads here about that), checking for good flow, little water, no waxey stuff etc -or- have that servcing Ford dealer replace the fuel filters with a good internal inspection of the old filters (especially lower) and the lower filter compartment and drain.

Most Ford stores give you a "free 999-point inspection" with an oil change. Tell them that you expect them to do it *completely*. I'd do my best to hang around the service bay (yeah, I know, insurance doesn't allow it - but I do it anyways) and ask the tech to walk thru what he's seeing with you.

Pay attention to the drivers side lower corner of the radiator, that's where many of the problems show up. Also, read up here about checking the Degas bottle cap area for white residue. If you can, change out the cap with a Ford part, just to be safe.

There are other threads here on checking 6.4Ls specifically. Look for them, there's a wealth of info here built-up over the years, but you have to look hard sometimes to find it. It's worth the effort.

Good luck, and enjoy the drive back home in your new 6.4!

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its kinda to bad in a way that it has come to all this checking this and that to see if it 'might' be any good. I have owned a few 7.3 IDI's over the years and the best way to know if they were gonna be good was if they started, then you knew you were good for 10K miles easy...without even having to check anything...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

complexity of modern engines and controls. The systems are so good they can mask issues.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

My 08 F450 has near 150k
Complete motor at 30k
Several injectors
Starter
Radiator
Fuel cooler
Degas Bottle
High pressure fuel pump
Oil cooler
Head Gaskets at 135k
and a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.
That's near $30k in repairs to go 150k miles!
My V10 went 230k with not a single engine repair.
My 7.3 was the same way. I'd stay away from a 6.4 unless it is under warranty.
I known mine will be gone before the 7/200k expires.

My dad always said "Keep it simply stupid"
Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Most of the bugs were all worked by the '09 models. '10 models were pretty much trouble free

48K on mine now, no major issues other than a steering box leak and replacing both blend doors. I got some other fixes such as a TSB for a clunking noise under the driver side cabin and a new CAC that didn't fix anything, but fortunately, all of this was under my 3/36 B2B warranty.

The DPF at 120K miles is something to keep in mind. I think they are designed to last a minimum of 150K without any maintenance by law. Sooner or later it'll have to be pulled and cleaned out of ash. Frequent regens might be a symptom since the thing is full of ash instead of capacity for soot. I have a while to go, so I wouldn't have any credibility to say anything about that yet
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well I think if I buy this truck, which I am gettin ready to pull the trigger on over the weekend here, then one of the first things to be done with it would be to pull the DPF right away. My brother had an '08 that he bought a 5" turbo back exhaust for but never installed so that will go on. Will I need a tuner if I am going to remove the DPF?
Also, how complicated is it to completely remove the EGR system on one of these? I was told that the cab needs to come off...
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes you would need a tuner. Don't do the exhaust without the tuner being on the truck. I would go into eternal regen.

EGR stuff can be worked on or removed cab on. In fact everything can be done that you would ever want to do with the cab. There are procedures for both.

Cab off is the preferred method as it is so much easier for the techs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.