Installing a Block Heater Cord - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing a Block Heater Cord

I am going to purchase and install the block heater cord on my 08 F-250. Where is the block heater located on the block?
midnight7733 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here you go Diesel Technician Society it is above the starter. the link will tell you how to install the cord. Most seem to get it off ebay or from their local international dealer. Do not get if from ford, they want way to much money.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
Here you go Diesel Technician Society it is above the starter. the link will tell you how to install the cord. Most seem to get it off ebay or from their local international dealer. Do not get if from ford, they want way to much money.
Am I missing something? This is instructions for a 6.0 Liter????? Is it the same? Also, the dealer wants $125 for the cord, and $125 to install it. Where can I get the cord?
2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX
JIM342STRKR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get the cord from your nearest International dealer, part number ZBL3600008 made by Zerostart. Zerostart part number 706051. You can install it yourself in less than 15 minutes.
Specularius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I just ordered this International part # today and will be picking it up tonight.

Allegedly from Int'l, it is merely just a cord. Do I need to do anything special with this? Perhaps run it through a loom or anything?

The Ford dealership makes it sound like theirs is a "complete kit".

What is the difference???
cthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Their kit comes with the loom and snaps to connect to the frame but it really isn't necessary. Just get the cord from any heavy truck shop ($16 max or off ebay for ~$10) get two packages of 3/8in loom from walmart and a roll of electrical tape. Put it together making sure the loom is the whole length. I then taped the whole length to give it a little more abrasion resistance. The heater is above the starter. Plug it into the block heater and then screw down the collar. I ran the cord along the bottom of the starter cable (to protect it from the heat) and then around the shock tower (zip tying it to the battery cable every 6 in). Then once i got to the bottom of the radiator i then zip tied it to the trans cooler lines and tucked it over on top of the frame and stick it though the bumper/tow hook area. Done. Plug it in and you should hear the heater start to faintly hiss from behind the passengers side tire. Most run the heater off a plug in type appliance timer for no more then 3hrs a night. You can leave it on all of the time but it will reach maximum effect after 3hrs so any more and it is a waste of power. It should take you about 10-15min. You may want to coat the brass end with an anti-corrosive agent or just oil it and cover it with a bag which is what i did. Good luck.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do some of the trucks come with it? there is a cord by my front bumper that has a tag on it? I will have to go look now I think its a cord?
2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Mamba Edition 4 sale(sold)
2008 Volvo C30 T5
2008 36f Hallmark

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8
2002 F350 7.3
2009 Fastrack Engineering Pro-4 (2010 ASA PRO-4 champion)

PRO-4 #31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

It comes standard on trucks sold in cold weather areas from what I understand. Oddly mine came with it even though I bought the truck in Las Vegas. The cord on mine is on the passenger side front and has a yellow protective conver. The heating element is in all of the trucks or so I been told. Hence the need only for the cord.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

After almost beating up an employee at the International Parts counter I now have a block heater cord.

If your International dealer does not stock the $17.00 cord look for a Fleetguard 251919 its' the same cord and I paid about $15.00 on the inter-web.

DO NOT let them sell you the $65.00 cord at International. They told me over the phone that the part number I was asking for wasn't in stock but it was valid, available and cost $17.00 so I checked around locally and our napa only had a $60.00 cord as well. I went to the International parts counter to order the $17.00 International made cord. They again told me they didn't have the cord, but had a kit they would sell me for $65.00 I said no thanks I'll order the $17.00 part. He then said that part would cost me more once I shipped it then the kit. I actually laughed quite loudly thinking he was joking... I asked how that was so. "ohh because it is $50.00 to ship it overnight" No worries buddy I'm not in a hurry just order it with your next stock order and call me when its' in. Ok but it'll still be more expensive then the kit.... I wasn't laughing now.

He proceeds to tell me they charge $25.00 for ground freight with their next stock order and another $30.00 for a special order fee plus the parts. So now if I want to get the part with their next stock order it is going to cost more than having it sent in overnight. ***.... at this point my volume got a bit high and I proceeded to tell him nicely that he was freakin crazy, gave them a chance to sell me the part with a reasonable shipping charge, but ended up driving home, ordered the Fleetguard part off the inter-web and had it in 2 days for less then $20.00

2009 Ford F250 PS SuperDuty
BozoWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea, this seems to be the way most parts counters are going now a days. I got my heater cord from a Volvo/White dealership for $16, it was a normal stock item for them. He had a dozen or so hanging on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.