losing coolant - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
losing coolant

I have been losing coolant for about 4 years now. It comes from the cap on the degas bottle, bout once a month i put about 2 qts in it. Ive replaced the cap and it still does it. Does anybody know what could be causing it. Ive read all over about radiator leaks and hose leaks and orings but I have had none of these leak. It only comes from the cap. Ive tested the air in the degas bottle for diesel exhaust with a blue point test kit and its been negative everytime. I bought this truck new in 4/2007. Its a job 1 and I did the venturi hose kit when it first came out and Im still running with original radiator. I have 61k miles. Any help is appreciated. Thx
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Head gaskets leaking/head studs stretching.
foreman1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

2nd that. Could also be EGR cooler.
Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

No exhaust gases in the degas bottle. Not a headgasket issue.

Look at EGR valve and coolers. If you have the old style EGR valve I would bet that is it.

Coolers with that amount of loss would have been a bunch of white smoke I'd imagine.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Generally when you have puking back through the Degas bottle it means that you have a clogged oil cooler. If you are using Ford Premium yellow silicate coolant junk or other silicate coolant, it is prone to cause the silicate to gel thus clogging the coolant pores of the oil cooler. With the inability of the proper amount of coolant to flow through the oil cooler (heat Exchanger) the oil becomes hotter than it should thus the oil cooler is hotter than it should be. Because it is hotter and the coolant flow is less, the amount of heat transferred to the coolant will cause it to flash boil and puke the superheated coolant back through the degas bottle and overpressurizing the 16 pound cap. That will produce the white stuff you see around the degas cap and bottle.

You can try to back flush the oil cooler using Restore to disolve the silicate gel. It may help but it may also completely clog the oil cooler further thus causing the needed replacement even sooner.

I just replaced mine myself as well as the EGR cooler.

AIRAID 4" straight No CAT No MUFF
Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock
NEW Ranchos installed 8/15/2010

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH
Anyone Got Birds? Will Travel to Hunt!

We are all just Village Idiots,
Enamoured with our own shadow,
Oblivious to the setting sun!
Iam4MSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was losing cooolant for 3 years turned out to be headgaskets. Have the pressure checked in the degas bottle. Mine was through the roof. You will also see white spots around the bottle.
Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.