The Diesel Stop banner

metal particles in fuel

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MangoMan 
#1 ·
Talking with a Ford commercial sales manager about an 08 F250 KR 91,000 mi. He said they had found extremely small metal particles in the fuel of at least four 08 6.4's and I was wondering if this is a problem with the 6.4 engines? He said the particles are about like face powder and are coming from the HPFP.

#3 ·
I asked him how they detrmined the particles were present and he said they took one of the fuel filters out and "washed" it out in something like a coffee filter and the residue was composed of the very fine particles. I have since read the info on the FleetService page and they talk about the close tolerances and fuel starvation causing the fuel pump parts to gauld and contimate the fuel system with metal particles. If this is possible, how can a used truck be checked for metal contamination, "wash" one of the fuel filters for residue? I want an 08, but I don't want to buy such problems.

#4 ·
Bottom line here is the HPFP is lubricated by the fuel. Starve it and then it has no lubrication.

Run water through it and then you will have the same results.

If I were you I would want to pull the top filter and shine a light into the fuel bowl. If it is clean then go down and drain the lower one. If it flows good and you see no water then I would be ok with it.

So that appears to be the rest of the story. He is judging fleet vehicles accross the board.

#5 ·
@wargle - @senix has been very helpful in a similar situation I'm experiencing on an '08 F250 Diesel with 68k miles. I'm still in process of trying to get insurance to cover fuel system replacement ($12k +) as Ford has done nothing other than to tell me its "the driver's responsibility to personally test each tank of fuel."

My truck is coming off-lease next month and I'll be turning the truck back in to the lender or selling to a wholesaler. Sadly, I'll be looking in another direction for my next truck after driving Ford's exclusively for 20+ years.

More details at: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...verfilled-heavy-water-rust-309391/index3.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.