Oil Leak 6.4 super duty build date 8-17-07 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak 6.4 super duty build date 8-17-07

Backed the truck out of the garage today and went back in to see two small drops of oil on the floor. Climbed under and looks like it is leaking on the back of the engine high pressure pump cover or above all over the trans bell hosing and dripping from engine oil pan corners. Don't see anyway to fix unless they take cab off or tear turbo's off and top end. If so ford can get me a new truck it will never be the same' I will go to court over this one 50'000 dollar truck and has oil leak at 2700 miles B.S that's what I call here we go again.
Tailrotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil Leak 6.4 super duty build date 8-17-07

But, aren't you glad that Ford's cost-cutting, to bring you a "heavy duty work truck, built in America, by Americans" was implemented? I mean, heaven forbid putting $1.50 more in each truck that leaves the plant. A good seal(s) would just cost too much. It would also cost too much for Navistar to hire top-notch quality control folk. I mean, that could equal millions!

It would make it cost prohibitive to build them here then. Perhaps we need Canada-built trucks like the Silverado. Supposedly this saves $1500 per truck to build them there due to the lack of health-care issues.

My, just imagine the great seals you could get for $1500.

Nate
NatesDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tailrotor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Backed the truck out of the garage today and went back in to see two small drops of oil on the floor. Climbed under and looks like it is leaking on the back of the engine high pressure pump cover or above all over the trans bell hosing and dripping from engine oil pan corners. Don't see anyway to fix unless they take cab off or tear turbo's off and top end. If so ford can get me a new truck it will never be the same' I will go to court over this one 50'000 dollar truck and has oil leak at 2700 miles B.S that's what I call here we go again. </div></div>

Look, I am the first one who believes you should not tolerate a leak on a brand new truck. Trust me I have fought that battle with Ford and won, BUT, I think you need to calm a little and let them take a look at it. The VAST majority of the leaks are pretty easy fixes and most competent techs can repair with little "intrusion". Unlike the 6.0 which was plagued with numerous design flaws especially in the bedplate, the 6.4, at least from what I can determine has not had those problems. Relax, take it in ask them to diagnose the issue, then ask them to let you know what is the problem BEFORE they undertake repair and then make your own decision on what to do. It is your truck, no question, but it is up to them to make the warranty decisions and how they are going to repair. Again, just relax, it is probably an easy fix. Good Luck to you.
KINGTUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been a mechanic for twenty some years now, and I have look at it, it's not good. But I will take it in and let them look at it. Problem is I just don't trust them even the smallest things at these dealers today get screw up, it kills me no pride in anything anybody does any more. And if it comes to it I will fight all the way for a replacement truck. I traded my 2003 6.0 liter that had no leaks, with 94,000 miles for a truck with 2700 that leaks it just burns my a$$!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

That would tick me off too, I had a GM 4.3 leak at 1500 miles out of the timing cover and oil pan.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I smell something burning.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I love the truck, great inside, good power, awesome looks. But put all that aside and I just can't live with it leaking on my garage floor.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

No arguments here, I totally agree.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

You said a mouthful, when you said competent tech. not to many out there in my neck of the woods. Hack's at best.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

It only took a day to fix the oil leak for the oil pump on the front of my trucks engine. It took 7 day for International to send me some new fancy low press oil pump truck to try out and to see if it does any better 5,000 miles later and no trouble. At least let the guys at your dealership check it, they have been very well trained at my local dealership and I think over prepared for any trouble with the 6.4L.

Heck, I thought the Germans would have it right, but they don't My 06 Jetta TDI that I have put 22,000 mile on in the 14 mouths has had more trouble then any ford I have owned. 1st the trunk would not stay close that took 29 days, then a a/c vent fell out of the dash, after that a burnt out light warning kept light up on the dash, after that the the low tire pressure warning has come on and stayed on and the tires are full, and now the oil filter canister lid keeps leaking oil and I keep tightening it back down. It doesn't matter none of them have it perfect not the Japs, Krauts, or us Americans.
sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tailrotor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said a mouthful, when you said competent tech. not to many out there in my neck of the woods. Hack's at best. </div></div> Tailrotor- Where is your neck of the woods? Here in my "neck of the woods" (KC) we have a very good diesel dealership with mechanics above the "hack" level. I suspect that there could be other mechanics MAYBE EVEN IN YOUR AREA that are above hack level that could help out. Where are you?
liquidlounge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NatesDiesel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, aren't you glad that Ford's cost-cutting, to bring you a "heavy duty work truck, built in America, by Americans" was implemented? I mean, heaven forbid putting $1.50 more in each truck that leaves the plant. A good seal(s) would just cost too much. It would also cost too much for Navistar to hire top-notch quality control folk. I mean, that could equal millions!

It would make it cost prohibitive to build them here then. Perhaps we need Canada-built trucks like the Silverado. Supposedly this saves $1500 per truck to build them there due to the lack of health-care issues.

My, just imagine the great seals you could get for $1500.

Nate </div></div>
FYI, go on the chevy web site and see how many people have rear mains leaking on there duramax. i was on there yesterday and saw like 3 different posts.
JOHNNYWEB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Tailrotor, what part of PA are you in? I have a VERY good dealership I take my truck to in Pittsburgh.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well went to the dealer today and met with the owner and two diesel tech's. They confirmed leak, tech said it is either the turbo oil return line or high pressure pump cover. Owner insured me that all will go well ( for what that's worth ) But either way CAB has to come off. Tech showed me in the book, it is standard practice to do so.( But I don't have to like it ) going to schedule it to be fixed. Never thought I would get so many responses but thanks for listening just had to blow off some steam with truck being new and all. Still gets under my skin, funny thing is I will still buy a FORD I love my truck just a little less love for international (navstar) Thanks Gentlemen.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

For got to tell you guys when I was at dealer saw two more 2008 diesels up on the rack one had blown radiator and the other had the EGR cooler tanks leaking and it would shut the engine down hope this is not going to turn into the 6.0 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.