Oil Leak (from rear of engine) - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty after the 60,000kms is $100 deductible...
Dealer is Shanahan Ford
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oil Leak

The deductible applies after the 3 year warranty or 60,000kms....its longer then 3 years so you pay $100...
Dealer is Shanahan Ford.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
rXr

I've got the bedplate seal oil leak, too. The truck is just over a year old, and it has about 12000 miles on it. It has not had any other problems thus far except a brake master cylinder that leaked. Otherwise the truck has run great.

The truck goes in on Monday for the bedplate leak to be fixed. The dealership says it's going to be a "cab off" and they will pull the engine and flip it over. It's suppose to take three days. We'll see ...
rXr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rXr View Post
The truck goes in on Monday for the bedplate leak to be fixed. The dealership says it's going to be a "cab off" and they will pull the engine and flip it over. It's suppose to take three days. We'll see ...
I hope they are right (in terms of time), mine went in for the same thing and it took nearly two weeks. Went in on a Monday, came out the following Thursday.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
rXr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury View Post
I hope they are right (in terms of time), mine went in for the same thing and it took nearly two weeks. Went in on a Monday, came out the following Thursday.
What dealership in So Cal was it? That sure is a long time ... and a lot of hours to charge to the job. I would have to guess that a lot of the hours where just waiting on delivery of parts. I'm thinking mine won't be done in three days. But, once they get the engine out, I do hope they take their time and fix any leaks or issues they come across. I love this truck ... I hope this isn't the start of a lot of trips to the Ford dealer ...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mine is going in thurs. for overheating/bad gage/ issues. Just noticed oil spots in the driveway a few days ago. looked like it was dripping off the drain plug and just needed to be snugged up (I didn't even try to tighten it myself, figured since its always in the shop anyway the dealer could tighten it!!!). After reading this post I'm going to check it better after the rain stops!

2008 f450 4.88 3rd radiator, second fan clutch 19k miles.
Yorklyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
rXr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorklyn View Post
Mine is going in thurs. for overheating/bad gage/ issues. Just noticed oil spots in the driveway a few days ago. looked like it was dripping off the drain plug and just needed to be snugged up (I didn't even try to tighten it myself, figured since its always in the shop anyway the dealer could tighten it!!!). After reading this post I'm going to check it better after the rain stops!

2008 f450 4.88 3rd radiator, second fan clutch 19k miles.
The first time Ford looked at my leak they tried to tell me that it was
oil coming out of the leaking oil pan drain plug that was being blown
back and up to the top back area of the oil pan. I knew that wasn't
it, but I had them go ahead and put a new copper washer and torque
the oil pan drain plug back up. Well, a couple weeks of driving around
with the dye in the oil them revealed that the leak was in fact coming
from the bedplate.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
What dealership in So Cal was it?
Kearny Pearson Ford

I've been more than pleased with their work on my truck over the past two years.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
The first time Ford looked at my leak they tried to tell me that it was
oil coming out of the leaking oil pan drain plug that was being blown
back and up to the top back area of the oil pan. I knew that wasn't
it, but I had them go ahead and put a new copper washer and torque
the oil pan drain plug back up. Well, a couple weeks of driving around
with the dye in the oil them revealed that the leak was in fact coming
from the bedplate.
What dealer in Norcal do you take your truck too?
firemansdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Oil Leak - Cam Sensor O-Ring

Just took my truck in on Tuesday. I had an occasional oil drip in the garage and when I changed oil last weekend there was a lot of oil residue on the back of the engine.
Dealer just called. Truck is done. It was the O-RING for the Cam Sensor. I'm glad that is all it was.

Enjoy the summer.

DRDON
2008 F350 Lariat 6.4 CC SRW 2WD Auto. 172" Dark Blue Pearl /Pueblo Gold 5"Chrome CabSteps Camper Pkg. HD Alt. Tow Command Upfitter Switches, 25K Air Safe Hitch, Retrax Cover, Ride Rites, 45 gal. Aux. Tank, Trains Horns, On-Board Air, 19.5" Michelins

2007 Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge Reserve 40' 5th wheel trailer, 3/Slides, Mor-ryde IS suspension, disc brakes, dual A/C, theatre system, solid surface counter tops, king bed, bigfoot levelers, 50 AMP service, heated tanks, 17.5 Alcoa Wheels, Michelin Tires and more

MY PICTURES:
http://www.bigdon68.shutterfly.com/
DRDON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

I had a sizeable oil leak to show up early this week. Was really concerned at first. It turned out to be that the oil drain plug was 1/4 of a turn loose.

I've always had the dealer handle my oil and last previous synthetic oil change was back in early April. It is hard to believe that a tech would not properly tighten the oil drain plug.

I was sure blessed that the I did not lose the plug having lost the oil or pressure while underway.

Even after losing an estimated quart of oil on the garage floor when it first showed up, my oil level was still overfull, even when using the partial oil stick out method as the Ford Satisfaction Bulletin describes. I've had the manufacturing oil situation since I first noticed it prior to my first oil change. The dealer tells me my VIN is not under the recall for the injector replacement that is one cause of the problem.
wharrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

22k miles on Job 1 450; on the road for almost 2 years now - in shop for 40days of that - long agravating stories but love how it looks, drives and pulls. In this case, I was lucky-dealer put dye in oil immediately and I drove for 150 miles, ID'd as bed pan gasket. Dropped off Tuesday AM and returned Saturday noon - cab off and engine pulled, rear and front mains replaced "just in case." Oops, 150 mile later it leaks more than it ever did, and from more places.
JohnD333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

I have the same leak but no dripage on the driveway. I'm sure the stealership will push back and say its from a sloppy oil change or some crap like that.
LandShark-47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #29 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Well it took some time but the leak finally re-appeared with a few drops showing back up on the driveway. Since it still had dye in it and needed an oil change, I decided to take it in for servicing and to see if it could be located.

Dealer (Tustin Ford in Lake Forest) just called and said it is from a leaky o-ring for the Cam Sensor. I should get it back tomorrow. Hope this is it.

BTW, 17,000 miles on the truck.

2008 F-350 King Ranch DRW, Tow Boss, 4x4, Navigation, DVD, Oxford White, (i.e. everything but sunroof) (mine on Mar 6, 2007)
Getrdun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
rXr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrdun View Post
Well it took some time but the leak finally re-appeared with a few drops showing back up on the driveway. Since it still had dye in it and needed an oil change, I decided to take it in for servicing and to see if it could be located.

Dealer (Tustin Ford in Lake Forest) just called and said it is from a leaky o-ring for the Cam Sensor. I should get it back tomorrow. Hope this is it.

BTW, 17,000 miles on the truck.
One day job ... not too bad ... hope all ends well with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.