The Diesel Stop banner

Oil leak and shutter at low end

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  caboose 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out what is going on with my truck. I got the oil changed a couple weeks ago and I have drip spots under the truck when it is parked all night. I check the oil, which only has about 1000 miles on it, and it looks black and over full. It looks like the oil might becoming from where you fill the oil. About the same time I noticed what sounds like a turbo leak when the truck is sitting idling. The only other thing that concerns me is it shutters when I am driving down the interstate and hit the gas to accelerate. The truck has ~168000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
If you still have the emissions system intact, the oil will get black within 100 miles of change--EGR is to blame. As to overfill--need to let it set for about 30 mins after driving to get it hot, then check. If you want to be sure where the oil level is, pull the dipstick when you shut it off, then check after 30mins. If you are still wondering where the level actually is, let it sit for the 30mins with the dipstick out, then run it back in ONLY to where the plastic hits the tube--no further. Then pull it out and see if the level is still on the hash marks--if the level is above the bottom of the hash marks, then it probably is overfull.
At 168000, you ought to be used to the reading problems...as to the drip spots, well, take it back and have them figure it out. With the filter on top, not much chance of that being the problem, or you could see it on the cap/gasket area.
I only put 14 qts in my '10, and the level stays in the hash marks for the entire change interval.

#3 ·
I think I figured the oil leak out. I had a fuel injector replaced and I don't think they replaced the valve cover gasket. Still just sure what the shutter is when trying to accelerate at low rpm's on the interstate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.