Opinions Wanted on 6.4 Liter Twin Turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions Wanted on 6.4 Liter Twin Turbo

I'm looking at a low mileage, 2010 Ford F250, 4x4, crew cab pickup with the 6.4 liter twin turbo engine. I'm sure the diesel will be great for pulling trailers (which I do) but with high fuel prices and some maintenance concerns I'm a little aprehensive about a diesel for a daily driver. Like with anything, I've read a range of opinions about the 6.4 liter TT.

I'd appreciate your feedback on the 6.4 liter TT engine. I know Ford has changed manufacturer's. Are there specific problems or maintenance concerns (related to the 6.4) I should be aware of? Have there been any recalls or TSBs to know about? What type of gas mileage could I expect? I'm just looking for general feedback to better help me make my purchase decision. I value your time, experience and expertise....thanks!
Aravaipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

6.4 is an excellent hwy or towing motor. Not so great for a commuter, unless it is hwy or long distance.

Most issues center around the emissions and the radiators.

Since you are looking at a 2010 I don't think the radiator is the concern for you. Emissions takes some getting used to. This is what has turned this into more of a long haul motor and less of a stop and go city truck.

In order for the emissions to work best it needs heat and a long duty cycle.

So how is your commute? You say you tow..how much and how often?
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
got mine in 2007 and drive it every day from 13 mile round trip to work to 140 miles.

getting wheel clearcoat replaced right now and I'm really tired of the jeep liberty

Friday I'm taking the long way to work.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate your replies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
6.4 is an excellent hwy or towing motor. Not so great for a commuter, unless it is hwy or long distance.

Most issues center around the emissions and the radiators.

Since you are looking at a 2010 I don't think the radiator is the concern for you. Emissions takes some getting used to. This is what has turned this into more of a long haul motor and less of a stop and go city truck.

In order for the emissions to work best it needs heat and a long duty cycle.

So how is your commute? You say you tow..how much and how often?
This won't be a daily driver per se...it will see some day to day use but I have other vehicles I can use to go to the store, etc. I pull a heavy steel 3-horse slant trailer on occasion but more regularly I pull a single, tilt-bed auto trailer (hauling a track car)...about a couple weekends a month. My present 3/4 ton, 4WD Suburban with the 8.1 liter gas V8 works great but it has over 176,000 miles on it. I'd rather have overkill for towing. I realize the 6.4 TT has a higher cost of operation and maintenance. I mainly want to make sure the 6.4 liter TT isn't known for major problems. My friend has a 2008 F350 with the same 6.4TT engine and he loves it. I figured its always best to pick the collective wisdom of a forum. I value the benefit of your experience. thanks!
Aravaipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I really like the engine, I hate the emissions crap.

Mod List:
-51 gal RDS direct fill auxillary fuel tank
-SEIC High Idle
-H&S Black Maxx Running the Hot Damn +300 Tune
-S&B Dry CAI
-Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Race Exhaust
-Custom 10" Sub Box Behind the Center Console
-Coastaltech SYNC-LP1 Lockpick
-Westin Bull Bar
-Westin Taillight Guards
-Recon LED Smoked Dodge Cab Marker/Clearance Lights
-Billet Fender Vent Inserts
-Zone Offroad 4" Lift
-20x10 BMF Novakane 8's
-35x12.50r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-'11 Super Duty Rear Seat Cargo Tray w/410W Power Inverter
tvandyck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
I really like the engine, I hate the emissions crap.
X2. Not so good fuel mileage, but tows like a raped ape. Love it!
Loaded, w/exc. to Navigation
Skyjacker 6" Lift and Steering Stabilizer
Toyo 37"x13.5-20 MTs
Chrome Centerline Grizzly Rims
4.56 Gears
Amp Research Electric Steps
Firestone Ride Rites
Brad777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
X2. Not so good fuel mileage, but tows like a raped ape. Love it!
Brad pretty well summed it up. I would just have to add that for the sheer power and towing ability of these trucks the mileage is well within reason. The EPA mandates on emissions to burn more fuel so we have cleaner air is; well........ typical of the government. We've pulled the living crap out of our 6.4's and I mean heavy trailers, very little running to town for groceries etc, they make cars for that. Use the Ford 6.4 for it's intended purpose, maintain it like the technologically advanced system it is, read that manual or listen carefully to the maintenance CD. Change your oil religously, keep those fuel filters fresh and refuel at trusted diesel stations, minimize idling as much as possible. Use your winterfront as necessary in heavy, wet snow conditions and keep your eye on your coolant level. And finally, enjoy that critter like no truck you've ever had!!
fordson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Newbe, but learning...Keep an eye in the oil level also.
Varney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I hear a lot of bad mouthing of the 6.4 especially from the other brand owners and forums. My real world experience and those of my 4 close friends that have them is not a problem and it tows amazing. Regen sucks!!!!!
I get pretty good milage and on my last trip i got 18.5 empty on hilly 560 mile stretch round trip which is head and shoulders better then my old 6.0 gasser. I do normally get about 16 or so. In town is a different story as it takes some fuel to get 8K lbs+ moving over and over again. I am not a "Ford guy" but I wanted to try one since i have tried the rest and this truck is just better. by the way mine is a 2010 with 9K miles and I have pulled a 12K lb fiver for most of that and commute to work 18 miles each way and run out the regens. I also do 3K-5K oil changes, (3 so far) drain my fuel filter once a month at least or after a long haul, use diesel kleen with each fillup and check my levels at least once a week if not more.

Last edited by POWERSKULL; 06-24-2011 at 04:36 PM.
POWERSKULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 08 & it has been great truck. As one of the guys said, read the manual and pay strict attention to the the maintenance; do not buy cheap D/F and resist the urge to use bio. Ordered mine in 2/08 and it now has about 17/18K with no major probs. Just make sure you stay on top of the maint(especially oil changes @5K, fuel filters, draining of same).
Henry4Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson1 View Post
... The EPA mandates on emissions to burn more fuel so we have cleaner air is; well........ typical of the government. ...
Well, I think it's actually that the gov't (not sure if it's really the EPA but some gov't agency) just sets the emission standard...so many ppm or such-and-such a maximum particle size. It's up to the manufacturers to figure out how to meet the standard. I doubt that the gov't specified that Ford has to use a filter that requires extra fuel in order to work, that's what Ford, et. al. came up with to comply. And if it's like it was way back in the 70's when they mandated unleaded fuel, etc. the manufacturers fiddle-farted around trying to figure out a way around the rules and then had to implement some half-assed solution until they decided they had to and figured out better ways. It seems to me that these DPF's, etc. are deja-vu all over again...just like the crap they came up with back then. Hopefully they'll eventually come up with something better but we early adopters pay the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.