The Diesel Stop banner

P0088 code

22K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  MrAutoPilot 
#1 ·
My 2008 F-250 keeps throwing the P0088 code- Fuel Rail/system pressure too high. After some research I am finding the most likely cause is the HPFP...however, most people say their trucks also go into "limp" mode but mine continues to run normally. Has anyone had any experience with this code being thrown and not requiring a new HPFP?

#2 ·
Yes there is a tsb to update the flash so that it does not throw the code.

What happen is with the 11B23 pcm flash they tightened the readings so that it throws the false code.

This is mostly during prolonged high demand fuel pressure.

Get the tsb done at ford...as long as the code is present then you should not have to pay, otherwise they will bill you for 1 hour labor to do the flash.

If it comes back later then it would be a valid code.

#5 · (Edited)
Above 75-80 Degrees

So mine was tripping into limp mode off and on last summer. I suspect this flash should fix this for me. The first time I took it in a year ago, the dealer never suggested it. They also didn't suggest replacing the HPFP. Just wait and see if it comes back. So, I reset the code myself each time because I wasn't convinced and it wasn't happening very often. At any rate, it never tripped unless the outside temp was over 75 to 80 degrees and the radiator fan engaged first while under load (it's never tripped without the fan engaging first). I drove the entire fall, winter and spring here in the northwest without a problem. Today, 82 degrees, climbing the hill in my neighborhood, fan engages and I watch the dash. Sure enough, check light pops on and lost most power. Reset it at the top of the hill and it has been fine since.

I think I'll ask about the TSB when I bring it in next week. By the way, What is the TSB number that fixes it?

Thank for the posts!

#4 ·
At 141,000 miles I had the P0088 code come up with the reduced power and CEL in the middle of a 600 mile drive. I finished my drive in this condition and went to a local for dealer and they cleared the code and installed the new software update.
Tech said if it comes back - then its time for the high pressure fuel pump. I have driven over 600 miles since the reflash - problem is gone.

#8 ·
A recalibration on a 2008 truck is not likely to be covered. Remember that TSB's are not recalls and provide no authorization for coverage at all. Never did, never will. Unless you have emissions coverage that is still effective or a really good ESP warranty that might cover it...

And, the calibration does not correct every truck it is applied to. Some will need to have the high pressure pump replaced. I also recommend that you visit your Ford dealer as suggested and ask to have the calibration checked and updated if there is one available. It's worth a shot! The bulletin number is TSB 12-7-7

#9 ·
I had an appointment yesterday at my local Ford dealer Findings:

DIAG. P0088 IN MEMORY. RUN OASIS. REPROGRAM PCM TO LATEST CALIBRATION FOLLOWING TSB. ROAD TEST OK.

Total cost of 75.00 dollars. It was in the 90's yesterday and I limped to the dealership. I explained exactly what the truck was doing and within an hour I was driving it home. Put several hours on it yesterday in the extreme heat and all seems well. Good luck!

#10 ·
Good to hear! Mine goes in Tuesday for the flash as well as for an alignment and tires. I'm going to do the brakes soon myself. I checked it for codes today because it was above 75 degrees and if I take the right way home, I can get it to trip the code. P0088 is pending but no CE Light. My service manager agreed the flash is the next step so wish me luck. I'll be putting it to the test when I get it back. I might hitch up one of the trailers to give it a load to pull.

Thanks for the update!

#11 ·
SO disappointed. I feel I need a second opinion at another dealership.

Got the truck back today. Alignment and tires along with some bushings and a tie rod end and it's driving like a dream. However, no flash was performed. The tech came out to discuss it with me. The PCM is up to date so they wouldn't perform the flash is what it came down to. I feel that if it's a TSB, shouldn't it be separate or above and beyond whatever level the PCM is programmed to? It specifically lists the steps in TSB12-7-7 and it seems to me it wasn't followed or it would have been flashed with this possible fix regardless of the status of the current program.

Invoice reads; REPROGRAM PCM PER CUSTOMER REQUEST PER TSB 12-7-7

ATTEMPTED PCM REPROGRAM. NO LATERM CALIBRATION IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS VEHICLE

The tech seemed like he was reading the TSB for the first time when they looked it up in front of me. Also, if they had actually attempted the program, wouldn't it have reset the pending fault P0088 that was in there?

I'm supposed to be towing my daughter's Jeep over the mountains soon. I'm really considering taking it to another dealership ASAP.

#12 ·
PCM calibration updates are cumulative meaning that an earlier update is included in current and future updates. There are no special updates for this condition or that condition that can be chosen at will. If a technician connects IDS to your vehicle and checks the current calibration in our truck for updates and automatically reprograms to the most current level unless it already is. There are still diagnostic pinpoint tests for this code that will help identify any problems that might lead to this code but in my experience, if calibration does not correct it a new pump does.

#14 ·
I know that this is an old thread, but I just went through this with a 2009 F250. Truck went into reduced power mode for 10+ miles before the CEL illuminated. I immediately checked HFCM and found no particulates or water. Truck stayed in limp mode for balance of trip, ~100 miles. The next morning, the truck started and ran normal; smooth acceleration and plenty of power.

I left the P0088 code in the scan gauge. Tech preformed TSB 12-7-7. Truck has been normal since; ~350 miles.

The question that i have, is, how can a BAD HPFP cause high fuel rail pressure???

#15 ·
The question that i have, is, how can a BAD HPFP cause high fuel rail pressure???
The condition can be caused by an issue with the pressure regulator or volume control solenoid. Both are mounted on the high pressure fuel pump and are not serviceable separately.

#18 ·
Just a quick update on my 2008; I finally had the HPFP replaced. The tech also replaced some gaskets, o-rings and other misc. things while he was in there. Other than a little more clatter than I had before, it's been running great for about 6k miles now. I've even towed over the mountains in 90+ degree temps and not a blip of an issue with anything. Still occasionally smokes for 5 - 10 seconds when the regen starts like it has from nearly new. It wasn't cheap but much less than a new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.