The Diesel Stop banner

Powertrain Warranty

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wontonrunner 
#1 ·
Up until yesterday I was starting to get worried about my warranty on my truck. I am just under 100,000km's and my tranny was starting to slip a few weeks back under boosted runs when i hit second gear. I called the dealership to find out if this was common and he said no, bring it in before you hit the 100,000km mark. If we look at it now and it gives you problems down the road at least it will be on file that this occured before warranty was up.

I did some research and found that the slipping tranny at second gear was a common occurance and was related to the transmission levels being low. Quite often 3/4-1 litre. Well I checked my tranny level and sure enough it was down and I added 3/4 of a litre. I belive the slipping to be gone, but I only could get it to slip with my superchips programmer installed as stock, the truck didn't seem to make enough power.

In addition, I recently noticed my rear pinion seal is leaking and my front axle seal it coming apart...so I am sitting there going Is any of this covered? I phone the dealership to inquire about it and they said the axle and pinion seals should be covered under the powertrain.

Anyways, I have been sitting here deciding what to do. If I take them in and the seals are done and not covered then it a lot of change out of my pocket for work that I could have done easily myself. The truck is 1 year old, my first vehicle with warranty and its already run out of bumper to bumper and was just about to run out of transmission warranty. I was starting to get depressed.

So I started looking at my manual that came with the truck, I had read if front to back before and knew that the diesel motor was covered under 160,000km warranty...but was under the impression that the transmission and axles only had 100,000km warranty and as the dealership stated, only some axle components are covered.

Well, unless I have misinterpreted what they have written in the manual. All F-series trucks with the 6.4 has unique powertrain warranty covering axles, transmission and engine up to 160,000km's and they go into detail to describe what all is included under the warranty.

So am I the only person that thought powertrain warranty was up after 100,000km's with the exception of the motor or are there others out there that also was fed this by the dealership?

Does anyone else take what is written in the manual to mean anything different and if this is the case then what did the optional extended warranty cover the vehicle up to?

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't find anything written on what exactly is covered on the 5 yr/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. Anybody out there got a link or know what exactly is covered?

#4 ·
One of your major stumbling blocks is talking Canada warranty with US owners... Up here, we do use a warranty policy manual written for Canada.... How much and in what respects they differ, I can only offer conjecture....

Currently (caution... memory thing happening - I do NOT have the warranty policy manual infront of me at this time), in Canada, BtoB warranty is still 3 years or 60,000 kms. Powertrain warranty ( I always run OASIS to see if apart is covered or requires prior approval) for *most* current vehicles is 5 years /100,000 kilometers...

Consider a US truck imported into Canada.... The BtoB warranty would only be good to 57,940 kilometers. I feel the need to remind folks that I am only a messenger....

My best suggestion... deal face to face with your dealer... over the phone is over the phone and everything you believe to be true is only as good as the paper it is written on. Believe this - it works everywhere... on the phone, you will be talking to a drone... He has other fish to fry.... he has a customer standing in front of him. A customer standing in front of you is worth three on hold.... I'm sure you see where this is going.

To avoid disappointment, grasp the bull by the horns.... talk money with the people that will ask for it... not with the faceless, nameless internet....

#5 ·
Like GrampJim stated get off of your butt and go talk face to face. Let them look at it and make them tell you if it is covered or not. My Ford dealer will look at it for free and then get back with you. Which is better than say Honda. They want a diagnostic fee up front and then if you have the work performed in their shop they will waive the fee. If you do not let them do the work you have to pay the diagnostic fee. Make them tell you YES or NO.

#6 ·
Like GrampJim stated get off of your butt and go talk face to face. Let them look at it and make them tell you if it is covered or not. My Ford dealer will look at it for free and then get back with you. Which is better than say Honda. They want a diagnostic fee up front and then if you have the work performed in their shop they will waive the fee. If you do not let them do the work you have to pay the diagnostic fee. Make them tell you YES or NO.
Hold on guys, I am not lazy I was just wondering if anyone else had read the manual and interpreted it the way that I did. I didn't realize that there was that much of a difference between the US and Canadian warranty.

GrampJim, next time you have a manual infront of you look at page 6 in the warranty and maintenance manual (the yellowish manual).

Page 6 indicates 60,000km bumper to bumper and 100,000 powertrain. They then have in bold writing that if you have a F-series Superduty that you must refer to the Unique Powertrain Warranty on page 7. Under the Unique Powertrain warranty they indicate that F-Series Superduty Trucks are covered under a Unique Powertrain Warranty which is 160,000km or 5 years.

I asked my Service Manager at my dealership and he said 100,000km powertrain except for the motor and then asked to see my manual. I showed him and he said he didn't realize, yet 4 other guys beside him said yes, they changed it for the 2008 model.

So, for Canadian F-Series Superduty Trucks with the 6.4 Diesel...we have 60,000km bumper to bumper and 5 year 160,000km Powertrain Warranty and they go into detail as to what parts are covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.