Powertrain Warranty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powertrain Warranty

Up until yesterday I was starting to get worried about my warranty on my truck. I am just under 100,000km's and my tranny was starting to slip a few weeks back under boosted runs when i hit second gear. I called the dealership to find out if this was common and he said no, bring it in before you hit the 100,000km mark. If we look at it now and it gives you problems down the road at least it will be on file that this occured before warranty was up.

I did some research and found that the slipping tranny at second gear was a common occurance and was related to the transmission levels being low. Quite often 3/4-1 litre. Well I checked my tranny level and sure enough it was down and I added 3/4 of a litre. I belive the slipping to be gone, but I only could get it to slip with my superchips programmer installed as stock, the truck didn't seem to make enough power.

In addition, I recently noticed my rear pinion seal is leaking and my front axle seal it coming apart...so I am sitting there going Is any of this covered? I phone the dealership to inquire about it and they said the axle and pinion seals should be covered under the powertrain.

Anyways, I have been sitting here deciding what to do. If I take them in and the seals are done and not covered then it a lot of change out of my pocket for work that I could have done easily myself. The truck is 1 year old, my first vehicle with warranty and its already run out of bumper to bumper and was just about to run out of transmission warranty. I was starting to get depressed.

So I started looking at my manual that came with the truck, I had read if front to back before and knew that the diesel motor was covered under 160,000km warranty...but was under the impression that the transmission and axles only had 100,000km warranty and as the dealership stated, only some axle components are covered.

Well, unless I have misinterpreted what they have written in the manual. All F-series trucks with the 6.4 has unique powertrain warranty covering axles, transmission and engine up to 160,000km's and they go into detail to describe what all is included under the warranty.

So am I the only person that thought powertrain warranty was up after 100,000km's with the exception of the motor or are there others out there that also was fed this by the dealership?

Does anyone else take what is written in the manual to mean anything different and if this is the case then what did the optional extended warranty cover the vehicle up to?
20" Icon rims
37" BFG AT tires
6" procomp lift
wontonrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I understood my 08 warranty to be 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper 5yr/60000 powertrain and 5yr/100000 diesel motor.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't find anything written on what exactly is covered on the 5 yr/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. Anybody out there got a link or know what exactly is covered?
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
2x6 Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

One of your major stumbling blocks is talking Canada warranty with US owners... Up here, we do use a warranty policy manual written for Canada.... How much and in what respects they differ, I can only offer conjecture....

Currently (caution... memory thing happening - I do NOT have the warranty policy manual infront of me at this time), in Canada, BtoB warranty is still 3 years or 60,000 kms. Powertrain warranty ( I always run OASIS to see if apart is covered or requires prior approval) for *most* current vehicles is 5 years /100,000 kilometers...

Consider a US truck imported into Canada.... The BtoB warranty would only be good to 57,940 kilometers. I feel the need to remind folks that I am only a messenger....

My best suggestion... deal face to face with your dealer... over the phone is over the phone and everything you believe to be true is only as good as the paper it is written on. Believe this - it works everywhere... on the phone, you will be talking to a drone... He has other fish to fry.... he has a customer standing in front of him. A customer standing in front of you is worth three on hold.... I'm sure you see where this is going.

To avoid disappointment, grasp the bull by the horns.... talk money with the people that will ask for it... not with the faceless, nameless internet....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Like GrampJim stated get off of your butt and go talk face to face. Let them look at it and make them tell you if it is covered or not. My Ford dealer will look at it for free and then get back with you. Which is better than say Honda. They want a diagnostic fee up front and then if you have the work performed in their shop they will waive the fee. If you do not let them do the work you have to pay the diagnostic fee. Make them tell you YES or NO.

TRADED: 2011 Ford F350, SRW, LB, White Platinum Tri-Coat, Lariat Ultimate Package, Black Interior Leather, 20" Wheels, Upfitter Switches, etc........

SOLD: 2008 F250 Black with tan 2 tone, Crew Cab,
6.4L, Not loaded but there are some thing I really just don't need.
Spartan Tuned, 275 V3, S&B CAI

TRADED: 2005 F250 Lariat
Dark Toreador Red with Tan 2 Tone
6.0L, 3.73, FX4, Moon Roof, etc.
surveyor13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor13 View Post
Like GrampJim stated get off of your butt and go talk face to face. Let them look at it and make them tell you if it is covered or not. My Ford dealer will look at it for free and then get back with you. Which is better than say Honda. They want a diagnostic fee up front and then if you have the work performed in their shop they will waive the fee. If you do not let them do the work you have to pay the diagnostic fee. Make them tell you YES or NO.
Hold on guys, I am not lazy I was just wondering if anyone else had read the manual and interpreted it the way that I did. I didn't realize that there was that much of a difference between the US and Canadian warranty.

GrampJim, next time you have a manual infront of you look at page 6 in the warranty and maintenance manual (the yellowish manual).

Page 6 indicates 60,000km bumper to bumper and 100,000 powertrain. They then have in bold writing that if you have a F-series Superduty that you must refer to the Unique Powertrain Warranty on page 7. Under the Unique Powertrain warranty they indicate that F-Series Superduty Trucks are covered under a Unique Powertrain Warranty which is 160,000km or 5 years.

I asked my Service Manager at my dealership and he said 100,000km powertrain except for the motor and then asked to see my manual. I showed him and he said he didn't realize, yet 4 other guys beside him said yes, they changed it for the 2008 model.

So, for Canadian F-Series Superduty Trucks with the 6.4 Diesel...we have 60,000km bumper to bumper and 5 year 160,000km Powertrain Warranty and they go into detail as to what parts are covered.
20" Icon rims
37" BFG AT tires
6" procomp lift
wontonrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.