preferred oil for 6.4L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
preferred oil for 6.4L

my truck has about 23k on it i was looking in the powerstroke owners manual looking up what the best oil viscosity grade to use but the book dose not have a preferred oil viscosity any help on what to use 5w40 since the colder weather is around the corner or 10w30?
jasvan10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would stick with any 5w40 or 15w40 oil meeting spec. Especially since Ford considers it normal to contaminate the oil with fuel after only a couple thousand miles.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Along about page 41 of your diesel owners supplement....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

15w40 during warm weather. 10w30 for cold. 5w40 year round. Make sure it is CJ4 for maximum DPF life.
rlchv70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Has anyone tried the CJ-4 Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40? My local Ford store insists on 5K changes to maintain my waranty. I wonder, is it worth the expense? I run it in everything else I own, but with extended change intervals, they are all out of waranty. Thanks!
bohica50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohica50 View Post
Has anyone tried the CJ-4 Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40? My local Ford store insists on 5K changes to maintain my waranty. I wonder, is it worth the expense? I run it in everything else I own, but with extended change intervals, they are all out of waranty. Thanks!
Depends on temps..if it is getting below 20F then I would go with the 5W-40.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
While I realize it's best to change the oil at 5k (I do 7500 now as I have 90% highway miles on mine) I WISH Ford, or a dealer would tell me they would cancel my warranty if I didn't get it changed at 5k... That would be false advertising on their behalf and would get me out from under my truck at a minimum if I ever started having problems with it.
ChargersFaninCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The diesel supplement guide that came with your truck says otherwise if you're not in the severe operation category.

Any CJ-4 compliant oil will be fine for your truck. You're not going to find any empirical evidence that will suggest that one is better than the other because they're all just that: CJ-4 compliant motor oil.

Whether you change at 5k or 7.5k is not all that expensive if you're doing it yourself. At $12/gallon plus $19 for the filter... that's pretty cheap considering you'd probably only do it twice a year. Double that if you have to take it to the dealership.

Last edited by timid1; 12-21-2010 at 10:29 AM.
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use M1 5W-40TD and 5k changes and my Blackstone reports are excellent.

As for warranty, the book say 10k mile changes as the maximum, and unless Ford can show that your truck definitely falls under the "special operating conditions" i.e. you have a 4,000# service body on the truck or something, they can't void your warranty for doing 10k oil changes per the owners manual.

Personally, I think very few of these trucks fall under anything but "special operating conditions" and would never consider going to the Ford maximum 10k oil changes on my truck, but that wouldn't be a warranty issue.
wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

It gets down to single digits around here, so the 5W-40 is probably a good choice. The local dealer recommends 15W-40, so that's one against them. They also claim that due to altitude, dust and other conditions (Reno, NV) that we are under "Special Operating Conditions" at all times here.

I have had nothing but good results withe Mobil 1 in all of my gas engines. I think I will keep using it in my "new" (used) 08 F350, 34,000 miles. I will probably just change it at the 5,000 mile interval to keep Ford and the dealer happy, just in case.

Thanks for your input.
bohica50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

I use the Rotella T6 5w40 since its a great all around oil and weight. I can go beyond 5k for O&F according to Blackstone but not sure that it's worth the risk.
NVBlueF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
As for warranty, the book say 10k mile changes as the maximum, and unless Ford can show that your truck definitely falls under the "special operating conditions" i.e. you have a 4,000# service body on the truck or something, they can't void your warranty for doing 10k oil changes per the owners manual.
I just bought a brand new 2010 F350 KR diesel and the dealer's "Service" manager advised me to adhere to 3k changes with 5k max. Then I watched the Diesel Maintenance DVD that I found in my glove box and it says 10k unless "special operating conditions". I plan to use that on my laptop for my next consult with them.

Perhaps my dealer's recommendations relate to "special operating conditions" in their bottom line?

I have used Blackstone every oil change for the past 100k miles of my 201+k miles on my old 1999 Ford Exploder 4x 6.0L SOHC and, despite the recent price rises $$ in their service, I'll rely on them to let me know how my oil is doing.

I *love* my new F350.

- Don (a brand new member here)
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
I just bought a brand new 2010 F350 KR diesel and the dealer's "Service" manager advised me to adhere to 3k changes with 5k max. Then I watched the Diesel Maintenance DVD that I found in my glove box and it says 10k unless "special operating conditions". I plan to use that on my laptop for my next consult with them.

Perhaps my dealer's recommendations relate to "special operating conditions" in their bottom line?

I have used Blackstone every oil change for the past 100k miles of my 201+k miles on my old 1999 Ford Exploder 4x 6.0L SOHC and, despite the recent price rises $$ in their service, I'll rely on them to let me know how my oil is doing.

I *love* my new F350.

Like I said, from a warranty perspective Ford can't void your warranty for doing 10k mile oil changes as specified in the owner's manual. I personally wouldn't go more than a nominal 5k miles, even using good synthetic oil.

I have a couple changes back to back that are ~4k and ~6k due to changing before I normally would have due to a trip, combined with trying to do my changes on even 5k odometer increments. The oil reports actually show slightly better on the 6k than the 4k, so I'm sure I could go longer on the oil.

I prefer the shorter intervals and the more frequent oil analysis so there is less time for a problem to develop before I see it in the oil analysis. It's an expensive engine and I'm not terribly concerned about spending a couple hundred dollars a year extra to be sure I keep it in good shape.
wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate View Post

I *love* my new F350.

Sounds like your service manager knows a thing or two about the 6.4L PSD. From my experience with the 6.4L and doing regular oil analysis, the 3-5K oil change interval recommendation is spot on.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmichael View Post
Sounds like your service manager knows a thing or two about the 6.4L PSD. From my experience with the 6.4L and doing regular oil analysis, the 3-5K oil change interval recommendation is spot on.
5k is what constitutes the severe operating conditions. They didn't say anything about extra severe conditions which would force you to perform service sooner than 5k miles. It's not written anywhere. Ford cannot under any circumstances require you to perform service sooner than what is stated in your manuals. I have no clue why people insist on taking for gospel what ISN'T written in the owner's or diesel supplement manuals.

Forget experience... there's no reason whatsoever to perform your service at 3k intervals. Now, if your engine operating hours are up there, then you may very well be performing the service at 3k... but in actuality, you should be quoting engine hours... because that's how our trucks roll.
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.