The Diesel Stop banner

Problems Accelerating between 1 & 2 Gear only when 1st Started

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  LandShark-47 
#1 ·
This is my first Diesel and know very little about them. Read this form for about 3 hours and couldn't find this same problem, some almost but not quite...

Truck is 2008 F250 SuperDuty King Ranch. Bought 4 days ago with 46500 miles.

To setup: Live in Central Florida area. Temps were in the 30 to 40 range and it was raining that morning. No problems with the truck until I drove out of subdivision and started to push the gas decently. Then inbetween 1st and 2nd gear it seems like it lost power, like it was choking, almost like water in the gas feeling of a gas engine. Kinda of spudder/shudder for a few seconds... I left off the gas and then pushed slowly and it ran okay. Didn't have the problem the rest of the way to work. Until I left work that night, same problem again only when first taking off. When I push the gas futher down it didn't really have any reaction. I let off of the gas and then pushed it down slowly to accelerate and it went fine. Had the same problems the next day as well. I took it back to the dealer as they had to detail the truck, mentioned the problem and the service dept called later saying that they cannot duplicate the problem. It happened to me 4 times in the 2 days I had it... but only when the truck was cold first starting off. After it warmed up didn't have this problem. Any ideas...

Also how would I determine if an after market chip or something was installed. I found a DiabloSport Predator manual in the truck when I bought it along with the radio manual etc...

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

See less See more
#2 ·
mine is similar too, its -30 degrees celcius here so i have always chocked it up to cold weather. low on power and acceleration even though the boost is high. Once warm it drives and pulls like normal.

#3 ·
wontonrunner, not sure this is the same thing though. He mentions that when he lets off the gas and tries again it goes back to normal power. I have the same issue as you being my truck has less on power untill up to eng. temp which can be somewhat normal for diesels. However, this normally takes a few miles to take effect

blueskys51, have you had the latest flash? Don't think thats it but would be the first thing i would verify. Also, have you drained the inline fuel filter under the drivers door of the truck? This needs to be done every month or two.

#4 ·
No, I have not done, that for two reasons, one I only had the truck 2 days and two I would have no clue that I was suppose to do that. The truck didn't come with a manual so I asked the dealer to get one for me, on the way... Hoping this will tell me all the things that I need to do, as I am completely clueless.

I have no clue if it has the new flash or not, the dealer 'Gibsons Truck World', I bought it from said they were going to take it to the Ford dealer and said if they didn't find anything it was going to be $90 regardless. I am guessing that this is for them to plug something in?... Would they update the flash at this time? Or is that something I have to ask for. How much is it to have the dealer do this?

I will update post once I get my truck back.

#5 ·
Drive Easy!

This is my first Diesel and know very little about them. Read this form for about 3 hours and couldn't find this same problem, some almost but not quite...

Truck is 2008 F250 SuperDuty King Ranch. Bought 4 days ago with 46500 miles.

To setup: Live in Central Florida area. Temps were in the 30 to 40 range and it was raining that morning. No problems with the truck until I drove out of subdivision and started to push the gas decently. Then in between 1st and 2nd gear it seems like it lost power, like it was choking, almost like water in the gas feeling of a gas engine. Kinda of sputter/shudder for a few seconds... I left off the gas and then pushed slowly and it ran okay. Didn't have the problem the rest of the way to work. Until I left work that night, same problem again only when first taking off. When I push the gas further down it didn't really have any reaction. I let off of the gas and then pushed it down slowly to accelerate and it went fine. Had the same problems the next day as well. I took it back to the dealer as they had to detail the truck, mentioned the problem and the service dept called later saying that they cannot duplicate the problem. It happened to me 4 times in the 2 days I had it... but only when the truck was cold first starting off. After it warmed up didn't have this problem. Any ideas...

Also how would I determine if an after market chip or something was installed. I found a DiabloSport Predator manual in the truck when I bought it along with the radio manual etc...

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
What's wrong with your truck is you haven't allowed it to warm up to operating temperature. Diesels take a long time to warm up. If my memory serves me, I think the owners manual tells you to drive the truck easy for several miles until it warms up. Letting it sit at idle to warm up does not work. It has to be driven to warm up.

Shawn :smokin:

#6 · (Edited)
The cold driving cold be part as the trans temp needs to be up, but this truck has an issue with humidity and cold. Mine first did this in Florida colder day around 35 and raining same the second time and it was plenty warm since I was towing 12000lbs for a few hours prior. Did it again in North Carolina in the fog and again in Virginia in freezing rain. Did it today after parking under a mini waterfall from melting snow at a gas station while refueling.
My dealer could reproduce the symptom. Tomorrow I'm going to spray the left side hood and see if I can get this thing to do it. Should be close to 40* so wish me luck.

#7 ·
After posting I gave some thought into what happens and why there isn't a code being recorded. I have also seen the trans temp guage not read warm after driving some distance and shut down for a minute or so. There is no way the trans cooled as the oil was plenty hot and the Trans fiuld its self was hot to the touch. Its important to understand the truck sees cold as a normal status and adjust the trans shift points and power output accordingly so the components don't get damaged. The trans temp sending unit may be the root of your issue and mine. If it gives a false report to the PCM the engine will do what we describe. We could simply have a sending unit that is telling the PCM to protect the trans.
Worth a shot anyway.

#8 ·
Water and temp gauges.

After posting I gave some thought into what happens and why there isn't a code being recorded. I have also seen the trans temp gauge not read warm after driving some distance and shut down for a minute or so. There is no way the trans cooled as the oil was plenty hot and the Trans fluid its self was hot to the touch. Its important to understand the truck sees cold as a normal status and adjust the trans shift points and power output accordingly so the components don't get damaged. The trans temp sending unit may be the root of your issue and mine. If it gives a false report to the PCM the engine will do what we describe. We could simply have a sending unit that is telling the PCM to protect the trans.
Worth a shot anyway.
Don't trust the trans temperature gauge. It's a glorified idiot light.

Shawn :smokin:

#9 ·
Thanks Gear, I think you are correct. The dealer was unable to reproduce the problem. I have not had the problem again, as it hasn't been as cold nor as wet as the day that I initially had the problem. But being new to Diesels I had assumed that I hadn't done something right. Been running great. Thanks for the replies.

#10 ·
Still having same problem... I think I have tracked it down to wet or very humid days. There is a really good post on here that I think may have a solution... I am going to try it anyway... Do a search on Rain and look for the post titled "White smoke, hesitation when damp out"

#11 ·
Thats correct. A couple people have taken their trucks back to the dealer for TSB 08-25-1. This TSB is for replacing the Charge Air Cooler. At least two people have had this done and say that so far in rainy or damp conditions they no longer have the hesitation or stubbling. My truck goes in next Tue for this repair.

#12 ·
My truck does the same thing and I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything or reproduce the issue. I was driving my truck for two hours straight and I went to pass another vehicle, when it downshifted at 60mph, the truck started sputtering and blowing white smoke really bad. It was a dry, hot day and I just got through driving the truck over a 100 miles. I know the truck wasnt cold. I am about to get rid of it and go back to a 7.3. I am very dissappointed in this as it has happen to me numerous times in the past three months. I drive my truck a lot for work and it gets really irratating. I had the recall done on the radiator and the newest flash installed in the truck which after the newest flash is when it really started doing this issue. I dont recommend the new flash they want to put in the truck. My fuel milage got worse with this new flash.:icon_mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.