Seriously Pricey DPF...."Stop Safely Now" = new EGT sensor and new DPF - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seriously Pricey DPF...."Stop Safely Now" = new EGT sensor and new DPF

I have a recent flash, still within the 3yr/36K warranty...got the "STOP SAFELY NOW" going uphill at 40mph. I had probably 15 seconds to coast into a nearby parking lot before it shut down completely at 3mph (courtesy of some TSB that I've forgotten). Glad I wasn't towing or on the freeway as that would have been a big mess. It was definitely NOT doing a regen at the time: regens have been every 125 miles like clockwork doing mostly city driving recently. Dash computer says ~11mpg. The programmer that added this shutdown now "feature" obviously never tested it while towing on the freeway!

The verdict: written up with codes 200E and 242E. EGT sensor was out of range high. The EGT sensor broke while removing it leaving half of it in the DPF so I got a shiny new DPF for free.

Now for the sticker shock:

8C3Z*12B591*D sensor - exhaust gas - tempera list $77.28 net $64.92
9C3Z*5H221*B FIlter ASY - Diesel Particle list $2825.80 net $1780.25
7C3Z*5H247*B Kit - Exhaust System Mountings list $84.99 net $79.72

at least the injectors are ok. Throw in probably 3hrs of labor (don't know book times/rate) and this easily adds up to over $3K. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for anything.

I will say that the DPF delete aftermarket tune and exhaust pipes are looking better and better as soon as the warranty is gone. IIRC the DPF is covered under a federal 10/100K emissions warranty but no matter how you look at it that is one seriously expensive part. Gotta wonder if the 2011's DPF is cheaper...
2008 F-450 Lariat Job 1 w/ 4.88, 98 gal. Transfer Flow tank in bed, Tekonsha P3 brake controller (6 electric over hydraulic disc brakes on toyhauler, not supported with TowCommand), TrailerSaver TS3 air hitch, all for a 2007 Glendale Titanium 36E41MPRV toyhauler
SOLD 2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 (LBZ Duramax)
titaniumfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Like some here have said that the aftermarket part companys might make them cheaper. A tuner/dpf delete does sound attractive if the aftermarket doesn't do anything
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have not seen any aftermarket DPF's yet. I think the shutdown strategy is in all of them at this point, regardless of what reflash you have.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

the 2011's with the 6.7 the exhaust dpf ect is around 7 grand from what im told.
fomocotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumfan View Post
The programmer that added this shutdown now "feature" obviously never tested it while towing on the freeway!
But if the EGT were correct it might have saved the engine, in which case the truck would have stopped anyway.
formula racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

yeah but that's not acceptable. You buy a diesel to be dependable not be plagued things that stop you in your tracks. For the price tag on these trucks it shouldn't have any problems ever!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiwizard View Post
yeah but that's not acceptable. You buy a diesel to be dependable not be plagued things that stop you in your tracks. For the price tag on these trucks it shouldn't have any problems ever!

Keep in mind its a whole new world for diesel engines (not just in trucks).

In a perfect world, the new ones would be as dependable as the old ones.

However, the emissions have become so strict in the last 10 years, there is much learing that is being done to make these things work right.

The number of parts attatched to a new diesel is absolutely mind blowing. When there are more parts on the engine, obviously there is more to break. It kind of reminds me of an 80s gasser engine; a whole bunch of junk on top of an old technology motor.

On the other hand, for $50+k you think they could make a EGT sensor that wouldn't fail (BTW, these have been updated)

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

The 18 wheeler DPFs have been getting cheaper. I talked to the parts manager at a truck dealer last week and he said some of the prices were as low as $350.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
The 18 wheeler DPFs have been getting cheaper. I talked to the parts manager at a truck dealer last week and he said some of the prices were as low as $350.
I'm sure someone will start making these aftermaket as well in the next couple of years

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumfan View Post
The EGT sensor broke while removing it leaving half of it in the DPF so I got a shiny new DPF for free.

Now for the sticker shock:

8C3Z*12B591*D sensor - exhaust gas - tempera list $77.28 net $64.92
9C3Z*5H221*B FIlter ASY - Diesel Particle list $2825.80 net $1780.25
7C3Z*5H247*B Kit - Exhaust System Mountings list $84.99 net $79.72

at least the injectors are ok. Throw in probably 3hrs of labor (don't know book times/rate) and this easily adds up to over $3K. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for anything.
If the only reason the DPF needed replacement was a broken off sensor, there is a much cheaper solution now. New threaded sensor bungs are available on ebay, check this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-style-exhaust-gas-temp-EGT-sensor-bung-for-Ford-Powerstroke-Diesel-6-4-6-7L-/141039388416?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item20d69a4700&vxp=mtr#ht_478wt_1162

That's what I did ^^^ when my my sensor broke off out of warranty. It only cost me $35 to fix this problem. The dealer wanted close to $3000.
Leon_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.