Sulfur/Rotten Egg Smell - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sulfur/Rotten Egg Smell

Hi All,

I'm polling all of the 6.4 owners to see if they "suffer" from/have this condition.

My 6.4 has had a horrible sulfur (rotten egg) exhaust smell for the past few thousand miles. I don't remember this happening when it was new (Picked up the truck in mid-August...truck has about 8,000 miles on it right now) or exactly when it started to happen. The smell is NOT inside the cab. When you open the doors to get out or you open the windows, the stench hits you instantly. Or, if you are loading the bed with the truck running it stinks and with in 1 or 2 minutes, the stench can be smelled all around the truck. Sometimes, it's so bad that you can't breathe and have to walk away from the rear of the truck (That's where it's the worst). The only time it goes away (aka I don't notice it) is during regen.

I know on a gas engine, if you are getting a sulfur/rotten egg smell after ~8,000 miles that means your cat converter is bad and needs replacing. Would the same apply to a diesel?

I called my service advisor a couple weeks ago and told him about it. He told me it was normal on a diesel. I have been around diesels before and never smelled this type of stench. I called the same one back last week and he told me that it was "strange" and to make an apointment to bring it in so they can "look" at it. The thing is I need that truck EVERY DAY and I would like to know what the possible cause is so I can steer them in the right direction so, they don't keep it for 2-3 days just to "look" at it.

There are no performance issues that I can see/feel. Turbo psi gets up to about 38 psi when I floor it. Diesel mileage is pretty good in my opinion, 12-13 city stop and go 18-19 highway. Regen every 350-400 miles. I run ULSD all the time and sometimes put the cetane booster form Ford in the tank. W/ or w/out the cetane booster, stench is still there. Diesel from different stations doesn't change the stench either. No black soot in the pipes, they are 100 percent clean. Once in a while, when the truck has just been turned on and it decides to go into regen, I will get a little white smokes but it goes away very quickly.

Only issue I ever had with the truck was it happened to be one of the lucky ones missing the gasket on the dip stick tube causing it to leak a little oil. Besides that, not a thing, best vehicle I have ever owned.

Do you guys with the 6.4 or any other diesel have a sulfur or a rotten egg smell at all? Any idea what's causing this? What's your take on issue?

Thanks for your time.
2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L V8 TD TorqShift 5-Speed-Auto 3.73LS. "Mods": Job #2 Air Dam. SilverStar Ultras. Bilstein Shocks & Steering Damper. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Last edited by RangerEdgeO2; 01-20-2008 at 09:20 PM.
RangerEdgeO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've got the same issue with mine. I'm at 15K miles and have noticed it for the past 2-3K miles. I know it didn't do this when it was new. Only engine issues I've had are 1) white smoke (first time was yesterday) and 2) I get a fluttering sound when shutting the engine off. The smell is a pain when sitting at idle for any extended period of time or when letting the truck warm up and running the heater (since it sucks the smelly air into the cab unless you remember to turn on the recirc...which, of course, defeats the purpose of my remote start on a cold day since you have to go out to the truck to turn on the recirc).

Alem

Traded:
'08 F250 Lariat CC 4x4 SRW 6.4L Oxford White.

Traded:
'03 F250 Lariat CC 4x4 SRW 6.0L Oxford White, XM Commander (Terk), Midland 75-830 CB, MileMarker 9000lb Electric Winch w/quick disconnect, Draw Tite Front Mount Hitch, Go Rhino StepGuard grill guard, American Racing Atlas wheels.
boukaal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
If you are sure you are burning ULSD, the smell may be from your serpentine belt. Many of the 6.0 owners have complained of a foul odor when their trucks were new, and that it went away after a few thousand miles. The most likely candidate for this smell was the belt.

OMC
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR View Post
If you are sure you are burning ULSD, the smell may be from your serpentine belt. Many of the 6.0 owners have complained of a foul odor when their trucks were new, and that it went away after a few thousand miles. The most likely candidate for this smell was the belt.

OMC
Does this foul odor start as soon as the vehicle is started or does it start after the truck has been on for some time (when the belt is hot)?

I should be burning ULSD. All the pumps down here say ULSD. Actually, I haven't found a pump in Florida that doesn't have an ULSD sticker. I go to the big three for diesel: Exxon, Shell, and BP.
2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L V8 TD TorqShift 5-Speed-Auto 3.73LS. "Mods": Job #2 Air Dam. SilverStar Ultras. Bilstein Shocks & Steering Damper. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

my thought is the diesel fuel also. I have 4500 miles on mine and no sulfur smell

F-350 Lariat LOADED CC SRW LB 6.0 SOLD
Med. Wedgewood Blue
All Options except moon roof
8'6" Fisher X-blade SS
2003 PSD 6.0 Lariat CC SB SOLD
All options but the moon roof

Last edited by Scottb NY; 01-21-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: addition
Scottb NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I get it all the time too..just the fuel and the nature of the truck..

Don't forget it say's Ultra Low Sulfur not "No Sulfur"
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaper View Post
I get it all the time too..just the fuel and the nature of the truck..

Don't forget it say's Ultra Low Sulfur not "No Sulfur"
That's what I first thought but why didn't it happen the first few months of ownership? Why are other diesel trucks I'm around NOT do this when we are running the same fuel from the same stations?

It's more annoying than anything else...gasing everyone to death is interesting as long as your inside the cab lol
Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
25,000 miles and never had a sulfur smell. Sure hope it stays that way. All fuel was ULSD that was purchased in 10 plus different states and from many different station brands including discount stations (WalMart etc).
Job1 14,500 GVWR - 29,000 GCWR
Reese Signature 24K, Line-X, Trucks USA Roll Cover, Leer 100XQ Topper
2007 DoubleTree 36TK3 Mobile Suite
18.5k GVWR
2007 Mirage Enclosed Cargo Trailer
7.0k GVWR
dz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine has had that smell since day one. I've got over 15,000 miles now. I've just got used to it. I do miss the smell of diesel though.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I'm not sure, as I've never had the problem on my 03 6.0. I just know that alot of the guys in the 6.0 forum a couple of years back were complaining of the smell. Wish I had more solid info for you.

OMC
Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had a truck that produced that smell and it was my transmission about to go. It was a 95 Chevy K2500 (Gas). Worth checking to make sure your tranny is not going out.
2000 F350, 7.3L, Banks Power Pack, Three Pillar Di-Pricol Gauges, 2.5" Deaver Cheater Pack leveling kit, Bilstein Shocks, BFG AT 295's, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads, Line-X Bedliner, Mag Hy-Tech Rear Differential Cover, Kobalt Deep Tool Box. Pulls a 32' Fleetwood Fifth Wheel like a Champ!
deerklr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Personally, I think it's a DPF thing. The 08's are the only ones that I've heard complaints about. Or maybe something in the catylic converters. Didn't somebody say we had 2 or 3 of them on the 08's?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
This smell has nothing to do with fan belts! Its the DPF, mine has stunk from day one even more now that the cold weather is here. It's seems cold weather has something to do with it, mine stinks the worst at around 20 degrees when first started. Once it warms up it still stinks but nothing like that frist start. I think the stink comes from the rich wet exhaust, as the cats and DPF are not hot enough to burn and dry the exhaust.
sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

For what it's worth, I had a cat go bad on a Honda. The result was rotten egg.
newbie_101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
It's definately a different smell. I think a lot of it comes from the ULSD, first noticed a different smell with my '04. To me, it almost smells like it's running on propane, has that fish cooker smell. If yours is smelling real bad, I'd suspect the catalytic converter.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.