Torqshift Transmission Filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torqshift Transmission Filter

I have looked in the threads to date and can't find any useful information on the external transmission filter for the 2008 Torqshift transmission.

I am almost to that 30K mile mark and will soon need service. I was unaware that they had even changed from the old "toilet paper" style filter to this new style.

Has anyone been able to locate and/or purchase this filter? What have you paid to have the service done at the dealer?

I was quoted about $270 for the filter and fluid change which is about twice what it was on my '05.

2008 F350 4x4 CC Lariat 6.4 picked up 2/10/07. Nav, rear DVD, ESOF, etc. Spray in liner, B&W gooseneck, Truck Covers USA tool box and roll up cover, Twin Wilson antennas, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB.
pstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstroke View Post
I have looked in the threads to date and can't find any useful information on the external transmission filter for the 2008 Torqshift transmission.

I am almost to that 30K mile mark and will soon need service. I was unaware that they had even changed from the old "toilet paper" style filter to this new style.

Has anyone been able to locate and/or purchase this filter? What have you paid to have the service done at the dealer?

I was quoted about $270 for the filter and fluid change which is about twice what it was on my '05.
If your truck is a job 1 build ,you have the external filter.If you are a job 2,you don't have one.Ford deleted it!
4STAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

They deleted it because the internal filter has been improved to filter better than the external filter. And the internal filter filters 100% of the fluid, the external was a bypass filter and only filtered 10%. And when the trans is below 165F the flow to the cooler is 10% of normal, so the external filter was only filtering 10% of 10%!

The fluid will be cleaner with the new internal filter.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My truck is in my signature. Yes, it is a Job 1 truck and yes it does have the external filter.

One of the other threads mentioned that FMC eliminated the external filter on the Job 2 trucks in favor of an internal filter that does do a better job. The downfall is that the transmission pan has to be removed in order to replace. Although it will only be required every 60K miles I still see this as much more expensive maintenance procedure.

Any help on the Job 1 filter that is mounted in a canister just below the bell housing?

2008 F350 4x4 CC Lariat 6.4 picked up 2/10/07. Nav, rear DVD, ESOF, etc. Spray in liner, B&W gooseneck, Truck Covers USA tool box and roll up cover, Twin Wilson antennas, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
They deleted it because the internal filter has been improved to filter better than the external filter. And the internal filter filters 100% of the fluid, the external was a bypass filter and only filtered 10%. And when the trans is below 165F the flow to the cooler is 10% of normal, so the external filter was only filtering 10% of 10%!

The fluid will be cleaner with the new internal filter.
Hey Mark, do you think you could help me out over on this thread

tranny delay P-R-D

I've read of a pca solenoid possibly being the culprit. Your opinion/input is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Has anyone had any experiemce with this?

I know there are members with the external filter and more than 30K miles. Let me hear from you!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Has anyone had any experiemce with this?

I know there are members with the external filter and more than 30K miles. Let me hear from you!
I need help with this too.
2008f35064l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Torqshift Transmission Filter

Here are the comments in the 2008 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual on the Torqshift Transmission Filter

Early Build Vehicles With Externally Mounted Remote Filter

NOTICE: Early build vehicles, those equipped with an externally mounted remote filter, are also equipped with a different design sump filter and bottom pan. Always pair the sump filter with the correct bottom pan design, to avoid cavitation, filter cracking and transmission damage.

lLate Build Vehicles Without Remote Filter and With Serviceable High Efficiency Sump Filter (HESF)

NOTICE: Late build vehicles replace the remote filter with a serviceable high efficiency sump filter (HESF), which requires a wider and deeper bottom pan. Always pair the sump filter with the correct bottom pan design, to avoid cavitation, filter cracking and transmission damage.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

So, if you were to have a job 1 TS, could you change the pan and sump filter to the new style and "delete" the external filter? Just a thought, haven't done it.....yet.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t613 View Post
So, if you were to have a job 1 TS, could you change the pan and sump filter to the new style and "delete" the external filter? Just a thought, haven't done it.....yet.
I was thinking the same thing but the pick up on the filter is different so it can't be done. I was going to buy a Mag-Hytec pan with the new style filter and bypass the external filter. I guess I will stick with the stock stuff for now.
F450Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

2008 Super Duty external Transmission filter availability

Quote:

My 2008 Job 1 F250 just came back from the dealer...they changed the transmission fluid and left the old filter in place. They told me that they would order a filter and replace it later.

I'm not crazy about their decision to change the fluid and leave the filter in place without even calling me (I would have opted to change everything at once), but I'm even more concerned that the flush and fluid replacement cost me $200, and they are quoting $180 extra for the filter alone.

I'm not sure exactly how many Job 1's were manufactured, but if this price increase is indicative of times to come, how much is one of these filters going to cost in five years?

I would install it myself, and maybe keep an extra one around for later, but I can't find them for sale online anywhere. Has anyone had better luck?
uscgpilot76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just bought the external filter from here

Amazon.com: Motorcraft FT-176

It requires special Ford tool to replace. Price was $85 including shipping.
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
2x6 Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6 Bulldog View Post
I just bought the external filter from here

Amazon.com: Motorcraft FT-176

It requires special Ford tool to replace. Price was $85 including shipping.
Awesome, thanks!
uscgpilot76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here is the link for the tool SPX Motorcraft - Detail: 307-459 - Disconnect Tool, Transmission Cooler Line

this might be an interesting read....Transmission Question?
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post

Thanks RocK Doc! Now I got the disconnect tool too. Now time for some Mercon LV.
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
2x6 Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.