The Diesel Stop banner

Vibration/hum noise on '09 F350

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BGilton79 
#1 ·
truck was repaired at Ford dealer. Had been hit on rear drivers tire. They replaced the axle housing, differential, hub. Replaced all tires. Drove it home it was fine. Drove it again and this noise came from nowhere. It's hard to describe but it is related to the drive train I'm assuming because it is accelerator varied. When I'm coasting you can barely hear the noise however once I apply load to the drive train (going up hill) especially on the highway the sound is much louder. It's not a grinding or screaming noise either. It's like something is rubbing or loose? Checked under truck, nothing I could find was hot or loose for that matter. Just wondering if there are any ideas out there. I'm not driving it anymore for fear something will break. Guess it's back to old reliable 97 F250 7.3 with a million kms on her. Thanks

#2 ·
Ginger,

I thought you would have some responses by now.

Brakes? All the wheel lugs torqued down?

#3 ·
is the noise get a bit louder let off the throttle?

i'm guessing the noise coming more from the rear.... may be try to pu the truck in neutral (block the front wheel), lift the rear end and try turning the wheels by hand.

may be look at the diff plug if it as any metal shaving on the magnet.

#4 ·
Thanks for suggestions, have to wait till husband gets home for him to block truck up and have a look. I'm basically searching for any ideas out there so he can check out as much as possible before sending to Ford...so they don't charge me $100 per hour to cover same bases.

#6 ·
Sounds like the new diff is not set up correctly--do you know if if came as an assembly, or did they replace individual parts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.