Water Separator Indicator Light/Draining Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Separator Indicator Light/Draining Questions

Hi All: I've been away for abit, and so please excuse if these questions have been asked recently. BTW - I have a 2008 F350 SRW 2WD CC SB PSD auto.

1) Can it cause a problem if I just wait for the water separator indicator light to come on before draining?

2) To those who have racked up a few miles on their 08: have you noticed the frequency that the water separator light comes on (i.e. approx. every 1000 miles, every 2500 miles, etc.)?

I know it's considered good practice to just drain monthly in all cases. However, the reason I ask is: I haven't bought my 5th wheel yet and have a daily beater, so I only take the truck out for a short spin on the weekend. I've only put on 1000 miles on in 4 months so far. My indicator light still hasn't come on. Since my truck is a 4x2 and lower, I cannot fit under the cab step rails without lifting the truck (I tried, too fat!). Also, I haven't yet bought ramps or jack stands. So it's not exactly convenient to do so until absolutely necessary.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
Gary
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: Water Separator Indicator Light/Draining Questions

To answer your first question, no. If the light is not on then theoretically there is no water getting past the separator to cause any harm. If the light does go on, you may still have a little more room for water in the collection chamber but don't wait too long to drain it just in case you picked up a significant volume of water.

Your second question about the frequency of the light coming on is one that cannot be answered accurately because it all depends upon whether you actually collect any water in your tank and how quickly it gets picked up from the tank. You might pick some up with a load of fuel or your truck might only produce an ounce or two per year from normal condensation. Unless you have a problem with the light coming on I would leave well enough alone and drain the separator during normal service intervals. I always drain the fuel water separator for my customers when I am changing their oil since it only takes a minute. For most owners, that interval should be sufficient.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Ford_Doctor! Just the type of detailed info that I'm looking for!

Best regards
Gary
Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

With over eight years experience with my current PSD, I've never had any water drain out when I drained the fuel filter/water seperator. So a few years ago I stopped draining my fuel filter except when I change the filter.

Yesterday I drained mine, and changed the filter, for the first time in about a year. It didn't need draining because not a drop of water came out - just a pint or so of pure, clean, diesel. But the filter was way overdue and needed changing really bad. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img]

So if you always buy your diesel at busy truckstops, and fill to the cap when you fill up, and live in an arid climate, you probably won't collect much water in the water seperator.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Another quick point I forgot to make was that regular draining will also reduce any sediment that may collect there as well along with preventing plugs from seizing from not being removed. Now I realize that the HFCM for the 6.4L has a valve instead of a plug so exercising it will help prevent stiffness or binding that many 7.3L PSD owners experienced over time.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

My truck has 8700 miles and I've never seen that light.

JC
F-450, 4wd, club cab, 4.88, KR, satellite, navigation, hi-capacity trailer towing, reverse sensor, memory mirrors/pedals/seats and tailgate step. Also Linex, TruckCoverUSA bed cover, CrimeStopper Remote Start and Alarm and a 25K Air Safe Air Ride 5er hitch. Also Banks with IQ.
Jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I have a 6.0, but it has 131K miles on it now and I have never seen the light come on. I have resorted to draining it only when I do an oil change now.

Unless I am traveling I always fill up at the same truck stop. They get in 2-3 tankers a day of fuel, so it's a busy place. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.