What's your Degas bottle coolant behavior? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's your Degas bottle coolant behavior?

I noticed coolant will disappear from cold line down to venturi tee. Cold or warm no different. I added back to cold line on bottle. Towed 100miles went down to Venturi Tee.
Tech said no leaks in system. Must have hick cupped. Added fluid. Drove around town a week it held it's cold line level.
Then towed 100miles and I noticed some coolant loss from Degas cap but also coolant was down to tee again. I shut the motor off and loosened the degas cap and all of a sudden the fluid came back up to upper cold line.
Are your trucks holding coolant at all times in Degas bottle at all times? Will it expand some when hot to upper line? Whats the normal behavior with this Degas bottle and it's coolant levels?
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.

Last edited by Captcaper; 01-30-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: changed info
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't comment much as i do not put too many miles on my truck (only drive about 20miles a day) but i did have to add coolant to go from the T- nipple to cold full. Just put the same amount in it when i brought it home from the dealer. So that was 3k miles it took for it to drop. I do not see anything leaking so it may have been trapped air. See if it needs to be refilled again if so then start chasing it. Let us know if you find anything. It is a nice engine and seems more stable then the 6.0 but seems to have some cooling system quirks.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

It's at the dealers now for testing. Tech said it shouldn't be doing this and will look at egr coolers,etc. It's done this since new. 1st time he replaced radiator and added venturi radiator,2nd time hyper thermostats problem put in another another radiator and thermostats. This time is looking deeper into motor for head gaskets,egr stuff. dam..I can't stand it.
He said the engine was the same as a 6.0 except longer stroke and mentioned a head gasket...which I don't think so as Ford made these heads and gaskets stronger and I don't beat on this thing. So I'm hopeing it's EGR stuff.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

it is not the same engine in any way. Completely different head bolting style plus much large head bolts. It likely is an egr issue. They did have a egr valve design change (no longer requires coolant to run though it) plus i do know one of the coolers (vertical one i think) has been giving them issues. Let us know what the come up with. Good luck

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
it is not the same engine in any way. Completely different head bolting style plus much large head bolts. It likely is an egr issue. They did have a egr valve design change (no longer requires coolant to run though it) plus i do know one of the coolers (vertical one i think) has been giving them issues. Let us know what the come up with. Good luck
It's the egr coolers and she said their going to replace both of them..When I get my paper work that details the work Fri. I'll let you know.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

hope that is finally the fix for you! EGR and coolers along with radiators seem to be the weak link.

Wonder if they will do a redesign of the coolers?
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Got it back yesterday. Tech said he saw it puked out the degas bottle. Tested the coolers and found them bad. Replace both coolers. $1600 job. Waranteed of course.
Didn't update the EGR valve. It still has the coolant line going to it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
My level was down just below the cold marks and after the radiator replacement - they filled it up and after 6k miles later - the level is back down.

The strange thing is that that is as far as it goes. I had 34k miles when the radiator was replaced and was at that "lower level" all that time. If there would be a leak I would want to think that there would be a constant coolant loss. But not the case here - just goes to area below lower full cold mark and stays there.
2008 F250 XL Crew cab, manual 4x4, 6.4L, Job 3, TorqueShift, w/ Decor group, Camper Pkg, Off Road Pkg, LWB, Power Equipment Group, Tow Command, Knapheide Utility Bed with sliding top. Built 2/5/2008 & Purchased 9-1-08

08B07 Flash 1-16-09
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs 3-20-09
Radiator (end cap leak) @ 34,100 miles 11-19-09
11B23 PCM Recalibration 4-11-11
Hydroboost Replacement (leaking Power Steering Fluid) @ 82,866 miles 7/25/11
Upper & Lower Hoses (new design) @ 90,000 miles 11/10/11
Break Pressure switch (cruise control failure) 99,300 miles 3-13-12
New BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires after 101,400 miles on the original
BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires 3-27-12
New Batteries after an original boiled over at 105,300 miles 5-13-12
Fuel Pump Replaced (frame rail) 131,534 miles 4-5-13
compman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My coolant was low since I got the truck, since I knew about the rad problems it made me pay obsessive monitoring of the coolant level and had to go to the dealer 5 times in a year to finally tell them that I know where to add coolant, “I want to know where it is going!!” and I had enough and told them that I was getting jerked around and that everyone knows that there is issues with the rads leaking on these trucks. The Services Adviser went on to the truck with me and looks at the bottom of the rad and it was slightly wet (which I knew). When I picked up the my truck after the rad change, it was still below the cold mark and 4 Ford trained personal said that it was because the coolant was hot and under pressure (lost it and just had to leave). The next day when the truck had been sitting over night and cool, I put a piece of tape on the degas bottle at the level and marked it May 9th. At that point I decided that my dealer was competent to work on my truck and any work (oil changes, etc..) that I had to pay for out of my pocket was going to go to be done at another Ford Dealer, if all possible (my choice and convenience). When I was at the other dealers getting routine maintenance done so that it would be recorded (I always did this work on all the other vehicles I owned before), they all wanted to know about the tape and why my coolant was low. I have issues with the dealer I bought it from and have been going to a therapist to get over it LOL. Since May, I brought my truck in eight times for warranty minor issues to my dealer and asked them to add coolant where the Manual and DVD says that it should be at.

I last straw was on Dec 1st, I called Ford Canada and told them that I had a brake calliper seizing for over a year, I can’t get the dealer to add coolant and for 16 months I had text on my Satellite Radio an now I don’t. Ford told me to wait on the phone and that they would call the dealer, when they came back on the phone 10 minutes later. Ford Canada told me that the dealer said the brake is passed the warranty and they might give me a break on the price of the repairs, the radio doesn’t have enough internal memory to show text and I that they did a coolant system pressure test and it pass and that was the first time I complained and that they showed me where the coolant level should be. At that point Ford asked me “what do you want Ford Canada to do”, I said that I wanted them to fix my truck to which Ford answered “the dealer has access to all Ford’s Technical Resources and I don’t, you will have to take it to the dealer”. Well I said that I have for 19 months and that’s is way I called you and would like to talk to someone else with technical knowledge and Ford said that she was the only one I was going to talk to and have a nice day.

Yes it is my Dealership and when I got off the phone with Ford Canada, I drove my truck in my garage and repaired the calliper and then I drove to the next nearest Ford Dealership and asked for a oil change and told them that I would like my truck inspected so that the truck is up to it’s maintenance schedule, so that I don’t void the warranty, they fixed all the things I couldn’t get my dealership to fix and more, under warranty, I did have to pay for the oil change obviously, plus a little extra for the upgraded inspection and my coolant is between the lines.

As far as the coolant level, Since May I have put on 8,000 miles and it hasn’t lost any, since Dec, the level hasn’t changed till my EGR valve and housing went Jan 1st and because I didn’t want to take a chance going out of town to another Ford dealer and get stranded, I brought it to my dealer and they replaced it with a new version (no hoses) on Jan 22. When I got it back, it was down about Ĺ cup that I’m assuming was lost from changing the EGR valve and re-routing the hose. I topped the coolant up and it has dropped since, I just went outside and checked.

So I’m not a coolant expert and didn’t want to even know this much, I thought I was over it till I read this thread LOL (obvious not!!). But with my truck, after the rad was changed, I haven’t lost any coolant and with it now between the lines in the degas bottle, it has stayed there. I also know because I have looked at many other 6.4 trucks that if its coolant is blowing out the top of the degas bottle, it will leave a stain that is noticeable and some 6.4 trucks are doing it! (Another dealer Ford Mechanic told me why and I just can’t remember, but I like the just puked off theory) and some are doing it because they are just over filled, I always look for stains, if you are losing coolant, “it is going somewhere”. Just on a funny note, when I was at my dealer picking up my truck after the EGR job was done, the mechanic had their 6.4 service truck in the yard boosting another vehicle with the hood up and I had to look, I asked him why the coolant was low, it didn’t have the tee installed, the EGR hose was on the bottom port of the degas bottle and the rad hose was on the top port. He said that he didn’t know about why the coolant was low, but probably because they take the rads out of this truck if they run short, it just hasn't been added yet and if I made an appointment, he would fix my hoses LOL. Again, sorry about the length, but I do feel better.
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.

Last edited by MPD56; 02-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Wow...man I will have to read this one again to digest this info.

Today I released the pressure cap on the degas bottle and fluid does come back up to the cold line. But when hot it is down to the tee.
This is the day after egr coolers.

So do I add more to the line or leave it? To be or not to be..This is the question.

Last edited by Captcaper; 02-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Capcaper: Well I did get carried away, Sorry. You have me puzzled on your problem. This is my first diesel and Iím on a real learning curve with the 6.4. First I always thought that liquids donít compress? But liquids will expand and contract with temperature. So the pressure is from the expanding components of the coolant system and compressed air in the system (hopefully in the degas bottle). So when you take the cap off the degas bottle there is something contracting when the pressure is released or maybe air trapped in the system is expanding. Iím thinking the cap is the pressurize type, and it should release at a certain pressure.

Iím sure my truckís coolant level doesnít move much when it gets hot? And the level doesnít move (much) when I release the cap when it is hot. I consider this normal? So when you find your problem you must likely have to added coolant.

So I really hope a mechanic steps in with advice for you. My big guess is that something made your EGR coolers leak and is it air trapped, because when you release the cap, it is an abnormal amount of coolant being displaced. So how do you purge air out of the system and how do you check if the cap is releasing at the right pressure, I don't know? Did you try running engine with the cap off, my guess is that the level shouldnít go down without the system pressurizes? Anyway, it is too late to go out to my truck! But for sure tomorrow. Hope someone comes up with some help. Keep us updated.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Capcaper: Well I learned some more today. First my truck’s coolant level did what I expected. When I started out today, my coolant level in the degas bottle was just above the cold line, at operating temperature the coolant level raised to half way between the lines. When I removed the cap slowly, pressure released and the coolant level about a Ĺ inch above the top line.

I also noticed that the cap has 110 kps/ 10 psi written on it. My hose from the vertical (edit error horizontal) EGR cooler to the degas bottle is as hot as the hose from the degas bottle going to the rad so I would assume coolant is running through the both EGR coolers, because they are in series. I have the new style EGR valve so my hose from the horizontal cooler goes right to the venturi tee, not like the older EGR valve, where the coolant was hosed (piped) through the EGR valve before it went to the venturi tee.

Well I guess no mechanics out this weekend?

Antifreeze and High Temperature

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps64...ing_system.pdf

Last edited by MPD56; 02-13-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Heres an update. When I got the truck back Thur. from having coolers installed the fluid level was at the tee. I drove it around town Fri. and it seemed fine. I didn't add anything. I went on the interstate to Boston towing my 3500lb trailer. Stopped in a rest area for a break. Left the engine idleing for 1 hr. on break. Engine temp dropped some of course because it was 20 deg.s out. I left the parking break on and trans in neutral so it didn't idle high and burn so much fuel.
When I got was done I entered the highway via ramp to 65 mph and after a short while I smelt anti freeze in the cab. The degas bottle puked it bad.
I released the cap and anti freeze comes back to cold line.

I'll have to check whether on not I have old or new egr valve. Maybe this is doing it?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I found out I have the old style EGR valve (there is a line to it from Degas bottle.) I hope this is whats causeing it to Puke out coolant.
I've had Venturi Tee,New EGR coolers,2 radiators. So hopefully it's this EGR valve and not something deeper like waterpump or headgasket.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Captcaper: Thanks for the update. I believe and I’m only guessing that the EGR valve is not your problem with your coolant troubles. The only reason I mentioned it, is the old style EGR valve is cooled by the coolant, as the new style can stand the temperatures of the exhaust and doesn’t have to be cooled. I also believe that the old style EGR valve doesn’t control the coolant flow in any way.

Below, I put a link about the 6.0 puking, I haven’t had time to read the whole thread, but you might find it interesting. Although I believe there might have been a problem with the 6.0, I don’t think there is one with the 6.4L or there would be more then just you that I have heard about. So read the link as just that.

Again thanks for the update.

puking again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.